Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (13 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
I was in a meeting earlier with some very senior people at my organisation and the word was that potentially there is going to be a ‘postcode’ lockdown on CV which could come into effect from next Tuesday and this was before the Tesco news came out.

This could definitely be speculation but the fact that it said a postcode lockdown as opposed to a Coventry specific lockdown makes me think there may be some weight to it.

It was also said that Birmingham might not be too long after and obviously Sandwell is already.

Guess we’ll see.
Can't see how just a postcode one can work in reality.

Saddlebrains

I was in a meeting earlier with some very senior people at my organisation and the word was that potentially there is going to be a ‘postcode’ lockdown on CV which could come into effect from next Tuesday and this was before the Tesco news came out.

This could definitely be speculation but the fact that it said a postcode lockdown as opposed to a Coventry specific lockdown makes me think there may be some weight to it.

It was also said that Birmingham might not be too long after and obviously Sandwell is already.

Guess we’ll see.

But we're nowhere near the need for a local lockdown surely?

pipkin73

I thought Cov was doing well right the way through this (low figures of contamination). Have figures gone up
that much?

LastGarrison

But we're nowhere near the need for a local lockdown surely?
I agree and don’t shoot the messenger and all that but I suppose it depends on the latest figures.

Nuneaton has been struggling for a while, if the figures on FB are to be believed about Tesco’s then they could have spread quickly which is perhaps why they are waiting till early next week to see the effects?

Like I say this wasn’t some idle chit chat down the pub and came directly from a COVID meeting between senior management.

Saying all that though it could still be bollocks.

Sick Boy

They always seem a bit macho about just about everything, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a badge of honour to laugh in its face and cram yourself into as populated an area as possible!
I think it’s more to do with following a similar pattern that we saw earlier on this year, until it impacts you it’s not taken seriously. The deep south was not overly impacted and it’s still seen as being a ‘northern problem’.
Of course there’s also a bit of ignorance thrown into the mix as well.

clint van damme

I assume he means all CV postcodes rather than just say CV5 or whatever.

I don’t see how local lockdown works at all TBH. Seems like a fudge.

so if fans are allowed back in but Cov is in lockdown a lot of people aren't going to be able to go to St.Andrews.

David O'Day

for all the talk of a CV lockdown Leicester has 4 times the cases per 100k people and they are still looking at loosening there so it's not going to happen in the very near future unless it spikes massively

wingy

It's starting to look like the furlough scheme is failing in one of it's aims.
But I guess the Gov't apart from hope was prepared for this.
It's partially delayed some pain among the population , maybe some unrest at a sensitive time, but how much more would they be prepared to throw at this?
Some very large employers haven't acted yet but are highly likely to . Options are international mergers,which usually result in some form of job losses anyway and can end in complete closure.

Boy we need a new direction where we get into area's we've previously been content for others to supply
That sounds protectionist to a degree but I'm not really thinking in terms of consumer products, more tech infrastructure development.
I rail at the thought that Tom Berners-Lee naively gave away the WWW, the modern equivalent of all the oil on the earth,fire or water.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's starting to look like the furlough scheme is failing in one of it's aims.
But I guess the Gov't apart from hope was prepared for this.
It's partially delayed some pain among the population , maybe some unrest at a sensitive time, but how much more would they be prepared to throw at this?
Some very large employers haven't acted yet but are highly likely to . Options are international mergers,which usually result in some form of job losses anyway and can end in complete closure.

Boy we need a new direction where we get into area's we've previously been content for others to supply
That sounds protectionist to a degree but I'm not really thinking in terms of consumer products, more tech infrastructure development.
I rail at the thought that Tom Berners-Lee naively gave away the WWW, the modern equivalent of all the oil on the earth,fire or water.

It was a bit disconcerting on the house buying thread to see people talking about ‘the time to strike’ being when mass unemployment hits and prices fall.

Walsgrave

It was a bit disconcerting on the house buying thread to see people talking about ‘the time to strike’ being when mass unemployment hits and prices fall.
That's the issue though. As a society we are all too shallow that everything is about money. It's not about doing something for a sense of purpose, doing something fulfilling something etc. All people see is the $$ and that's why secretly inside, many of those who wanted the recognition for clapping for the NHS do not in fact want nurses to have a pay rise, although the only reason why they aren't broadcasting these views is because they won't get recognition for it in a way that clapping would!

It's about pouncing on other people's misfortunes to one's own benefit. The concept of a home being a place to live rather than an investment has long gone. Granted, we do need to have a roof over a head and once it comes to buying a house, I would like to buy it on the cheap. But that would be my own house and not some 'investment' that I use to exploit other people's need to have a roof over a head by letting it out to them. I don't intend to do what most of the people who talk of pouncing do - that is, buying a house as a buy-to-let investment.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's the issue though. As a society we are all too shallow that everything is about money. It's not about doing something for a sense of purpose, doing something fulfilling something etc. All people see is the $$ and that's why secretly inside, many of those who wanted the recognition for clapping for the NHS do not in fact want nurses to have a pay rise, although the only reason why they aren't broadcasting these views is because they won't get recognition for it in a way that clapping would!

It's about pouncing on other people's misfortunes to one's own benefit. The concept of a home being a place to live rather than an investment has long gone. Granted, we do need to have a roof over a head and once it comes to buying a house, I would like to buy it on the cheap. But that would be my own house and not some 'investment' that I use to exploit other people's need to have a roof over a head by letting it out to them. I don't intend to do what most of the people who talk of pouncing do - that is, buying a house as a buy-to-let investment.

It’ll be a bit scary to see what happens in the States seeing as tens of millions have fallen behind on payments.

Walsgrave

It’ll be a bit scary to see what happens in the States seeing as tens of millions have fallen behind on payments.
Saw this tweet that probably resonates with a few. It was going on about 'When I was younger, I always saw America as this dreamlike place where I would be in the future. Now I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole'. Basically calling it a shithole. Based on the events of the last few years, that's probably not far wrong. The Trumpians will get offended, but there's a lot of truth to it. Unless one has a lot of money (i.e. a very small minority of people), it isn't feasible to migrate from the UK to the US. Sad for those Trumpians who think they'll join him, but true.

chiefdave

We won't be far behind when furlough ends. I'm still off and had a look at what I'd qualify for in terms of benefits if the worst comes to the worst. I've got a relatively small mortgage, £560 a month, I'd get £410 a month on universal credit.

Bizarrely if I was still renting and not a home owner that would increase to £899 a month.

Having just moved and after putting everything into a deposit to then have £14K in unexpected repairs I'm totally wiped out. At best I could survive a month and would then be either unable to pay for bill and food or racking up huge debts.

Always knew benefits payments weren't adequate and that universal credit had made things worse but to be honest I had no idea quite how bad it was. Scary prospect for a lot of us at the moment. Not like there's loads of jobs going if the worst does happen.

wingy

We won't be far behind when furlough ends. I'm still off and had a look at what I'd qualify for in terms of benefits if the worst comes to the worst. I've got a relatively small mortgage, £560 a month, I'd get £410 a month on universal credit.

Bizarrely if I was still renting and not a home owner that would increase to £899 a month.

Having just moved and after putting everything into a deposit to then have £14K in unexpected repairs I'm totally wiped out. At best I could survive a month and would then be either unable to pay for bill and food or racking up huge debts.

Always knew benefits payments weren't adequate and that universal credit had made things worse but to be honest I had no idea quite how bad it was. Scary prospect for a lot of us at the moment. Not like there's loads of jobs going if the worst does happen.
I don't know how mortgage insurance stacks up these days or what exclusions apply , but I thank the day I took out a policy in the 90's with the reputable Cornhill insurance.
A full year's payments plus the monthly cover added.
This is one of the problems not considered by estate agents when they push the absolute ceiling on price

Brighton Sky Blue

While I wasn’t grateful for the insane workload that Covid caused I am very glad to at least have high job security. Our mortgage is about £1100 a month and if either of us went out of work we could perhaps manage on savings for a few months max. I also don’t like thinking about what might have happened if we’d encountered a more deadly disease, eg Ebola

David O'Day

I agree and don’t shoot the messenger and all that but I suppose it depends on the latest figures.

Nuneaton has been struggling for a while, if the figures on FB are to be believed about Tesco’s then they could have spread quickly which is perhaps why they are waiting till early next week to see the effects?

Like I say this wasn’t some idle chit chat down the pub and came directly from a COVID meeting between senior management.

Saying all that though it could still be bollocks.

Asked my friend at the council and he said it's bollocks and they wouldn't shut down the whole of the CV post code either

dutchman

That includes a temporary bonus to cover coronavirus costs, it's normally much lower.

David O'Day

Coventry's definitely going the wrong way for cases, and quite fast.

It's gone from what was a strangely low rate of infection to what seems to be a more normal rate of infection of a place like Coventry.

As I said we still as per the as the last full weekly figures have a quarter of the per capita rate that some of the "areas of concern have"

David O'Day

It's trends that are worth watching though, not absolute numbers.

But the trend has been what seems to be too low before.

The absolute number of cases per 100k is worth watching as this is what they are working on.

Rightly or wrongly the "new normal" is going to include an increased number of community cases until we develop a vaccine

Users who are viewing this thread