Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

wingy

I really don't get the fuss. The mortality rate is minimal, loads more will die from flu this winter.
Not sure how you equate this?
Even if were as low as .5% mortality that's aound 5 times higher than for flu.
There may be a dearth of those in the demographic due to the previous clear out .

Edit:-
Sorry mate this was from way back

Due to way the thread loaded Lol.

NorthernWisdom

Personally I'm worried that the mean age is below 50. 50 seems an arbitrary cutoff point and not necessarily following the science.
There may be a dearth of those in the demographic due to the previous clear out .

Harsh, dragging them back into the thread like that ;)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm fearing that the winter may be a terrible one with higher mortality from flu and pneumonia in those that have survived Covid but have damaged lungs from it, thus less able to fight off such illnesses. So we may see a rise in deaths in which Covid may not be the cause but a major contributing factor.

wingy

A cheap valid tool for prediction ahead of test data .
Regional by the look of it.
Very late to the party though

However whatever ,if this is fairly cheap simple science, should it not be regular practice for any relevant marker?
Know it can be used for drug usage etc.

wingy

I'm fearing that the winter may be a terrible one with higher mortality from flu and pneumonia in those that have survived Covid but have damaged lungs from it, thus less able to fight off such illnesses. So we may see a rise in deaths in which Covid may not be the cause but a major contributing factor.
Hopefully a decent accurate vaccine for this season will prevent that , with a widened uptake and expansion.

chiefdave

A positive story for a change. Drayton Manor has been saved. Was on the brink of collapse and obviously has been hit hard by being shut for months as covid hit right after they had sorted the damage from Storm Dennis which had forced them to shut.

Been taken over by Looping Group and all existing management and staff will be retained. They own 15 parks around Europe, including West Midlands Safari Park which they purchased in Jan 2019.

wingy

A positive story for a change. Drayton Manor has been saved. Was on the brink of collapse and obviously has been hit hard by being shut for months as covid hit right after they had sorted the damage from Storm Dennis which had forced them to shut.

Been taken over by Looping Group and all existing management and staff will be retained. They own 15 parks around Europe, including West Midlands Safari Park which they purchased in Jan 2019.

Are they based and operated out of Europe ?
Funded by Mubadala Capitol out of UAE.

wingy

Inconsistencies.
Just caught part of a feature on BBC news.
Leeds footfall down 40% , that doesn't sound too bad in the circumstances.
Local employers ,one office based recommending using the office 2-3 days per week
Wouldn't one visit pose as much risk as the whole week.
They did say that they'd take into account shielding of relatives childcare etc.
The other one was a music leisure manufacturer talking about all the measures around making it Safe .
Then the finishing shot was a bloke spray painting components apparently in an open area of the workshop not even wearing a sprayers mask FFS.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Yes, I would hope this 50 thing isn't some flippent thought and there's some back up behind it as you say...othewise, should those that HAVE no choice but to carry on get it, you can be sure the life insurance companies will find a way to not pay up.
....and there are an awful lot of over 50s who have elderly housebound parents who rely on them for everything. They may not be ready for the care home quite yet but this would cause a lot of problems if the idea of lockdown became a reality.

skybluesam66

its getting stupid
Deaths clearly falling across UK and Europe
Testing massively increasing
Much more positive tests - mostly A Symptomatic
Govt concludes we are getting out of control

No, the Virus is burning out , based on small number of deaths
Death rate has been below 5 year average since Mid june in UK and the whole of Europe is now at very low levels of death from Covid
Look at Spain, which is supposedly going through a second wave! Getting ridiculous

Sick Boy

its getting stupid

Death rate has been below 5 year average since Mid june in UK and the whole of Europe is now at very low levels of death from Covid
Look at Spain, which is supposedly going through a second wave! Getting ridiculous
You’d have to be a moron to think it’s just going to burn out.

Ian1779

its getting stupid

B177A2CA-939F-4866-800F-DA4550A88496.jpeg

shmmeee

So, exactly how many office landlords are Tory donors then? So weird this obsession they have with everyone being in the office.

NorthernWisdom

So, exactly how many office landlords are Tory donors then? So weird this obsession they have with everyone being in the office.

See, as it stands currently, we're being moved back to offices in a limited sense. mrs. Wisdom gets two days a week. Checking out trains and parking, it's all... OK atm, if honest.

if every bugger goes back, I'll be somewhat less sanguine!

shmmeee

See, as it stands currently, we're being moved back to offices in a limited sense. mrs. Wisdom gets two days a week. Checking out trains and parking, it's all... OK atm, if honest.

if every bugger goes back, I'll be somewhat less sanguine!

We’re talking about a hybrid model apparently. No idea how that’s supposed to work. Did you guys get consulted on which days or just told when you be in?

NorthernWisdom

We’re talking about a hybrid model apparently. No idea how that’s supposed to work. Did you guys get consulted on which days or just told when you be in?
Just told.

At my work I'm on the 'reserve list' for when needed to go in... probably because I kicked off about a couple of things I wasn't happy about!

Main issue is, they think I won't be needed for a while, I beg to differ - let's face it, whenever anybody comes down with the slightest temperature or cough, they'll have to go off sick.

Sick Boy

Been in Sicily for the last couple of weeks, if there’s not an outbreak here and across the south of Italy in general, I’ll be very surprised. Very, very different to the north.

fernandopartridge

I think it comes as usual from MPs having a very London centric position when it comes to this. They'll see and hear about the deserted Pret / Starbucks / Nero / Uber and who can pay for lobbyists to press for this sort of change. In fairness these companies employ a decent number of people.
They don't care that local economies nearer residential areas might see small independents doing a better trade than previously. Ou

NorthernWisdom

Been in Sicily for the last couple of weeks, if there’s not an outbreak here and across the south of Italy in general, I’ll be very surprised. Very, very different to the north.
They always seem a bit macho about just about everything, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a badge of honour to laugh in its face and cram yourself into as populated an area as possible!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Quite low, though I can see that we'd end up in a national lockdown in all but name due to many many local ones. The Tories will try to avoid the perception as much as they can.

I agree. Large areas will end up back under restrictions to the point of effectively being a national lockdown. But due to the way they've set it up they'll play it that it's nothing to do with govt and local. Unless of course it seems the lockdowns are supported in which case they'll claim it was because of them.

Do something, wait to see how people react, decide whether you're taking credit for it or letting someone else take the blame.

LastGarrison

Wonder if we will get a local lockdown?
I was in a meeting earlier with some very senior people at my organisation and the word was that potentially there is going to be a ‘postcode’ lockdown on CV which could come into effect from next Tuesday and this was before the Tesco news came out.

This could definitely be speculation but the fact that it said a postcode lockdown as opposed to a Coventry specific lockdown makes me think there may be some weight to it.

It was also said that Birmingham might not be too long after and obviously Sandwell is already.

Guess we’ll see.

Users who are viewing this thread