Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (7 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

To be honest the media have reported everything poorly. The 3 week cycles were always a chance to review and decide, so it's good that Johnson is following the rules to a certain extent albeit contrary to some of his previous words.

Grendel

Brighton Sky Blue

tbh it's been pared so back, the current things aren't an issue (they're still allowed, aren't they?)

It's getting my parents there that's the issue!!

I'm getting hitched next summer. We were told that about 90-100 weddings had been rescheduled from this summer to next at this particular venue alone

Ian1779

Disgraceful
As much as they have tried to use card to reduce transmission - they have neglected a lot of people that use cash because it’s something they always have done. My mother and father in law have no interest in using Apple Pay or contactless when they’ve spent 60 years using cash.

shmmeee

As much as they have tried to use card to reduce transmission - they have neglected a lot of people that use cash because it’s something they always have done. My mother and father in law have no interest in using Apple Pay or contactless when they’ve spent 60 years using cash.

I sort of see this. But is it any different to refusing to wear a mask or do social distancing?

Store rules are store rules.

wingy

I sort of see this. But is it any different to refusing to wear a mask or do social distancing?

I don't think it was a sacking offence.
Again black and white,where is the grey?.
Couldn't they have designed some sort of credit system?

shmmeee

I don't think it was a sacking offence.
Again black and white,where is the grey?.
Couldn't they have designed some sort of credit system?

Frankly if you’re too old to use cards or Apple Pay, you probably shouldn’t be out and about anyway right now.

I don’t think it’s a sacking offence either. But rare that that’s all there is to it.

Ian1779

Given the abrupt nature of the change, think they needed to be a bit more flexible on the cash thing, given it’s possible that some older people may not have smart phones or have updated their bank cards to be ‘contactless’ - and then with the banks closed making it harder to put in place even if they wanted to.

It’s those more likely to be in need that we’re going to find that particular change the hardest.

Ian1779

chiefdave

Yep no deaths in 3 weeks I can see Scotland closing the border
Might be difficult from a practical point of view, let alone the political shitstorm that would no doubt follow, but if I was in their shoes thats definitely what I'd be pushing for.

If you can get it under control in your own country and shut down borders do it. Still infuriates me we didn't take advantage of being an island and do just that. So frustrating seeing other island countries getting back to normal and starting to let crowds into events while we still seem to be making decisions on the fly with no long term plan other than pray for a vaccine.

wingy

Bit rough on those Jet 2 holidaakers having to cut short their hols.
On the basis of the company not wanting to send empty planes over for their return flights .
Either they're doing that today or will be in two weeks time?

Brighton Sky Blue

Bit rough on those Jet 2 holidaakers having to cut short their hols.
On the basis of the company not wanting to send empty planes over for their return flights .
Either they're doing that today or will be in two weeks time?

Flying to Greece with easyJet soon and they confirmed both the out and return flights. Glad we didn’t go for a package

clint van damme

skyblueusername

will be out of work in 4 weeks, just started job hunting, this isn't going to do my prospects much good. I'd be wary of taking on someone over 50 knowing they might end up sat at home.
Same here, returned to work after 3 months of furlough and the company went in to administration 3 days later.
Being made redundant in September and as a 50 year old with previous health issues this news isn't filling me with much confidence of finding a new job.

clint van damme

Same here, returned to work after 3 months of furlough and the company went in to administration 3 days later.
Being made redundant in September and as a 50 year old with previous health issues this news isn't filling me with much confidence of finding a new job.

that's shit mate. I knew my job was going pre covid so at least I've had a decent length of time to prepare.
Though I wasn't prepared for how shit the job market is!

skyblueusername

Same again, the company I work for was struggling before the lockdown so just knew they wouldnt survive afterwards, I thought I wouldnt find it too hard to pick up agency work but this lockdown for over 50's idea is certainly worrying.

chiefdave

Same again, the company I work for was struggling before the lockdown so just knew they wouldnt survive afterwards, I thought I wouldnt find it too hard to pick up agency work but this lockdown for over 50's idea is certainly worrying.
The flip side would be they can't tell people over 50 to lockdown without putting something similar to the furlough scheme in place or it will be ignored. Even those that wanted to wouldn't be able to stay at home indefinitely without any money coming in.

clint van damme

The flip side would be they can't tell people over 50 to lockdown without putting something similar to the furlough scheme in place or it will be ignored. Even those that wanted to wouldn't be able to stay at home indefinitely without any money coming in.

to be honest I think it's a fairly unworkable idea unless they give people an online test they take themselves to assess their level of vulnerability, (I don't think GPs would be able to carry out the number of assessments required) but given what's gone on in the last few months and on-going uncertainty I think it could be enough to plant doubt into potential employers minds.
The other issue is if it did go ahead and you're already out of work what would they need to give you to stay at home as the furlough scheme was for working people only so potentially you can't look for a new job but aren't getting any compensation.

I'm fairly confident I'd pass the over 50s MOT but it still something that could cause issues for job seekers of a certain age.

RegTheDonk

Yes, I would hope this 50 thing isn't some flippent thought and there's some back up behind it as you say...othewise, should those that HAVE no choice but to carry on get it, you can be sure the life insurance companies will find a way to not pay up.

Users who are viewing this thread