Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (52 Viewers)

Astute

People also need to survive.

For these people to survive this 'lockdown' is assumed to be the best course of action.

Of course, we can get rid of most of the elderly, underlying health condition and pregnant women and the country would be in a better state.

It is, of course, an action that does remind me of Germany before the Second World War.
Are you saying we should lock down until it goes away? Millions not earning a living?

We should try and keep those safe who are at danger. But we need to carry on as much as we can. Hide to stop the numbers. Come out when the numbers are down and hospitals can cope. A permanent lockdown won't work until we can immunize everyone.

The virus came from one event. It has spread around the globe. Hiding then coming out would mean nobody around the globe still having it for it to work.

Ring Of Steel

Japan tested very few but suppressed the disease - the claim from ROS that ventilators are being shipped as we speak is made up

Meanwhile, back on planet reality...

UK faces 'massive shortage' of ventilators - Swiss manufacturer

"Last week, Hamilton Medical shipped 400 ventilators to Italy, whose intensive care units have been overwhelmed by more than 35,000 cases of the rapidly spreading virus and almost 3,000 deaths."
"Germany’s Draegerwerk (DRWG_p.DE) last week got a government order for 10,000, equal to a typical year’s production."
"Wieland’s company in the Swiss Alps has boosted normal production of some 15,000 ventilators annually by 30-40% and now can produce about 80 ventilators daily."
"He has orders from the United States, Turkey, France and China, where in January he stocked up on components in anticipation of rising demand as the virus spread from its origins in Wuhan."

Meanwhile, Matt Hancock is parading around on TV talking about getting car factories to rustle a few up for us.

fernandopartridge

Yes reported cases. We are nit testing the vast majority. We are testing thise with the worse symptoms only. So it makes our numbers lo9k worse than a country that tests everyone.

Yes, but on the other hand does it mean that there could be many deaths unattributed to covid anyway? I would imagine due to the nature of the condition probably not but you don't know.

Astute

Errr where is there a downward curve?

There are no downward curves on there at all.

I don't think you understand the chart.

Once again. The data and numbers are there. You can disagree with the scale all you like, but the numbers are there in black and white.
Italy looks to about have it beat in your graph. But reality is a different matter.

Astute

Yes, but on the other hand does it mean that there could be many deaths unattributed to covid anyway? I would imagine due to the nature of the condition probably not but you don't know.
Most deaths are looked into. Most cases of the virus are not. They are saying that many of us could of had it and not known.

The problem is who do we believe.

Philosorapter

Are you saying we should lock down until it goes away? Millions not earning a living?

We should try and keep those safe who are at danger. But we need to carry on as much as we can. Hide to stop the numbers. Come out when the numbers are down and hospitals can cope. A permanent lockdown won't work until we can immunize everyone.

The virus came from one event. It has spread around the globe. Hiding then coming out would mean nobody around the globe still having it for it to work.

I think 250 000 - 500 000 people is a fair chunk of the population to be concerned about if they die or not.

cc84cov

Most deaths are looked into. Most cases of the virus are not. They are saying that many of us could of had it and not known.

The problem is who do we believe.
I have asthma couple months back I was down the walk in 3 times with a bad cough I could not clear antibiotics didn’t clear either did steroid tablets they said it was bronchitis but they wasn’t exactly sure made me wonder was it this virus we just don’t know like you say many would of had it and not known

Astute

Only if you're incapable of reading the graph properly, which clearly you are. There are no downward curves.
I don't think you understand your own graph or how graphs work.

A downwards curve on this type is where the higher trajectory levels off. It can't go downwards as the amount of deaths can't go downwards.

But because it isn't done to scale it looks like things are improving when they are not.

Or in your own words what is a lowering curve.

Astute

I think 250 000 - 500 000 people is a fair chunk of the population to be concerned about if they die or not.
Who has said that?

Isn't it strange how some people make up their own facts to suit a situation.

CCFCSteve

I have asthma couple months back I was down the walk in 3 times with a bad cough I could not clear antibiotics didn’t clear either did steroid tablets they said it was bronchitis but they wasn’t exactly sure made me wonder was it this virus we just don’t know like you say many would of had it and not known

I reckon loads have had it/got it (a lot of cases are asymptomatic or can be very mild) which is why from a medical and societal point of view that new test is massive. Hope they can get it out there asap

Astute

See if you have antibodies. You could now be safe. And also passed it on to others.

Astute

ffs it is not a false graph, find one false figure on it.

If you don't understand how to read it then thats hardly the problem of the people who do know how to read it, and it does not make it false.
How about you explaining what a downward curve will look like on it.

PVA

I don't think you understand your own graph or how graphs work.

A downwards curve on this type is where the higher trajectory levels off. It can't go downwards as the amount of deaths can't go downwards.

But because it isn't done to scale it looks like things are improving when they are not.

Or in your own words what is a lowering curve.

I'm not repeating myself again. Schmee also explained it on the previous page.

You do not understand the point of the graph nor do you understand the scale and I'm not explaining it again. Read the source's twitter thread, it has all of the answers.

It's funny how the only people so desperate to pick holes in these charts just happen to be those who were/are backing the government's early (lack of) response.

Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Astute

clint van damme

I think you're right.
My wife knew co-workers and customers who had a bug around Christmas which she is now convinced was this virus due to the similarity of the symptoms they experienced. A few ended up in A and E with respistory issues.

Astute

He won't see this, he's busy contacting qualified people around the world to tell them they've all got their graphs wrong.
How about you explaining what a downward curve will look like on it?

Same old bullshit different day.

Ring Of Steel

Why won't any of you that praise this graph say what a downwards curve would look like?

Who is "praising" it? Its a fucking graph, what is there to praise? You look at it, take the info you want and move on- you just don't understand it (along with a few others to be fair, all of whom were big "herd immunity" disciples), so have developed some kind of weird fascination with trying to dispute it.

RegTheDonk

See if you have antibodies. You could now be safe. And also passed it on to others.
Sorry to be thick, so taking Hill as an example who's having a pretty rough time and quite probably has this. In a couple of weeks he's over it and will have antibodies protecting him - any close contact with family/friends, he'll pass his immunity onto them, rather than giving them the lurgy?

PVA

Who is "praising" it? Its a fucking graph, what is there to praise? You look at it, take the info you want and move on- you just don't understand it (along with a few others to be fair, all of whom were big "herd immunity" disciples), so have developed some kind of weird fascination with trying to dispute it.

Yep and as I said the only ones who either don't understand it, or try to pick holes in it, are the ones that were banging the herd immunity drum and back the government. Funny that!

shmmeee

Got to say loving the number of people unraveling on this thread. Mostly people who have been having similarly poor understanding in politics threads and now up against reality and bluster and waffle no use.

Grendel

You know the agenda- every other country is shit and we're the greatest.

You can read plenty on it- domestic suppliers shipping thousands of tests elsewhere while we have not placed one single order.

No it’s just a fact we’ve tested the 6th most globally

Grendel

Got to say loving the number of people unraveling on this thread. Mostly people who have been having similarly poor understanding in politics threads and now up against reality and bluster and waffle no use.

Don’t be that hard on yourself

Sky Blue Pete

I'm not repeating myself again. Schmee also explained it on the previous page.

You do not understand the point of the graph nor do you understand the scale and I'm not explaining it again. Read the source's twitter thread, it has all of the answers.

It's funny how the only people so desperate to pick holes in these charts just happen to be those who were/are backing the government's early (lack of) response.

Just a coincidence I'm sure.
Not at all it looks like Italy is getting better it’s not

Users who are viewing this thread