Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

BackRoomRummermill

I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel , until when I get there it was some bastard holding a torch

Ring Of Steel

Just seen this posted by a friend on social media. Like everyone on here, I have no idea on what's the best course of action but this sounds plausible...View attachment 14455
779843823c20c74bfc9f3bed4abbd73c.jpg
c1bdce8fe5c5dd53907686493b53faff.jpg
b5f46df3fc541526fa4ef14f7d7e5740.jpg
c81bf585726fcbdc0202f27fd9b3fd62.jpg
c349e9a8fc293e9f368caf902d02da64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

he’s my old tutor from Liverpool University

Brighton Sky Blue

My god, are you deliberately ignorant? Or just thick?

Even your glorious leader Boris and that idiot on the other side of the pond are suggesting social distancing now. You and Nick seem to be the only ones against it.

Far as I can see, G and Nick are in favour of social distancing for the elderly or seriously ill

PVA

The guy is a cretin - he is project fear

Ahh 'Project Fear'. Now it all makes sense.

The calling card of the thick, ignorant, populists. No doubt you think Brexit is wonderful, climate change is a hoax and Meghan Markle is the devil.

BackRoomRummermill

This situation will bring out all panicking hyper condriac plebs en masse , they will clog up the NHS for the real poorly people and kill more than anyone else .

Brighton Sky Blue

Ahh 'Project Fear'. Now it all makes sense.

The calling card of the thick, ignorant, populists. No doubt you think Brexit is wonderful, climate change is a hoax and Meghan Markle is the devil.

I think Brexit is shit and that Boris is a prick but I agree with our strategy and can only wish that the politicians could stick to it more strongly in the face of pressure. Whitty was correct today, the overwhelming majority who catch this will either not even know they have it, or be mildly inconvenienced. We need to keep the 20% out of harm's way for as long as we can until either the virus abates or the NHS is in a better position to handle the case load.

This goes beyond politics for me. We are doing the right thing-or at least we were.

Ring Of Steel

Have cases in Nottingham surged up any more than other places as a consequence of a football game being held?

How the hell would he know if cases have “surged in Nottingham”? Are you expecting him to now go off and research that for you? If you can’t respond & have no answer then why bother scrambling around trying to deflect away by asking stupid questions about random side issues.

Brighton Sky Blue

How the hell would he know if cases have “surged in Nottingham”? Are you expecting him to now go off and research that for you? If you can’t respond & have no answer then why bother scrambling around trying to deflect away by asking stupid questions about random side issues.

He's the one trying to argue that going to football is a terrible idea when there was a game with nearly 6,000 people in attendance in a major population centre. Has it led to a massive spike in infections? How about in Liverpool after Madrid came over? I gave plenty of answers last week and have given more this evening. Can you explain why all of the population need locking inside when the vast majority of it will not appreciably suffer from the infection?

Sky Blue Pete

Haven't read everything posted since I've been out at work but looks like folks may have missed that Dave Boddy is self-isolating in precaution as he's just been on holiday in Spain for a week. Aside from him keeping clear of the team, manager and the club, why is our Chief Exec taking a holiday abroad during the most important part of the season ?
Why not?

Ring Of Steel

He's the one trying to argue that going to football is a terrible idea when there was a game with nearly 6,000 people in attendance in a major population centre. Has it led to a massive spike in infections? How about in Liverpool after Madrid came over? I gave plenty of answers last week and have given more this evening. Can you explain why all of the population need locking inside when the vast majority of it will not appreciably suffer from the infection?

You seriously don’t see the irony in that response :)

You need to go off and provide evidence to me that the above is not true, can you do that? Or, as is more likely, is it just more deflection and obfuscation and you can’t.

PVA

*bangs head against wall*

Please please go and read up on social distancing, canceling mass gatherings etc. There is a reason why the entire world is banning them.

Brighton Sky Blue

*bangs head against wall*

Please please go and read up on social distancing, canceling mass gatherings etc. There is a reason why the entire world is banning them.

Please go and read up on the statistics regarding symptoms or lack thereof for the overwhelming majority.

PVA

Please go and read up on the statistics regarding symptoms or lack thereof for the overwhelming majority.

That just reinforces the need to cancel mass gatherings.

If people are infected without realising the last thing we want is for them to be in a stadium, or a gig etc

That's the whole point of cancelling them!

djr8369

What has that got to with with limiting the spread so lower the chance of the most vulnerable getting it?

I think I saw somewhere that “mild symptoms” means anything up to feeling like you’ve got the normal flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djr8369

Grendel, if must be galling for you to have spent the day criticising the response of the other European countries as an overreaction only for Boris and Patrick Vallance to say this evening that we are going to start implementing the same measures and in some cases earlier on the curve?

Reactions: PVA

Brighton Sky Blue

That just reinforces the need to cancel mass gatherings.

If people are infected without realising the last thing we want is for them to be in a stadium, or a gig etc

That's the whole point of cancelling them!

No, it should be the point of socially distancing those with a genuine chance of becoming critically ill or worse. If you shut it all down for months, what are we going to come back to? Financial ruin for businesses and some major industries unless the government can prop them all up.

shmmeee

Far as I can see, G and Nick are in favour of social distancing for the elderly or seriously ill

To quote an Harvard epidemiologist:

“Who do you think works at these nursing homes? Highly trained gibbons?”

There’s no such thing as social distancing for X. You have to reduce down the average movement for everyone to slow down the spread. Over a long enough timeline literally everyone will get it as even if you quarantined a geographical area it still needs food and skilled employees to cross the boundary and eventually the virus will get in.

Even if you could socially distance just a subgroup, the numbers not in the sub group would still overwhelm the NHS.

Jesus man, you’re normally pretty rational.

shmmeee

No, it should be the point of socially distancing those with a genuine chance of becoming critically ill or worse. If you shut it all down for months, what are we going to come back to? Financial ruin for businesses and some major industries unless the government can prop them all up.

Yes. That’s how serious this is. That’s why every finance minister on the planet is trying to work out a global financial response to it. We’re talking 2008 levels but with the bonus of everything should start up again if we get through it.

PVA

There’s no such thing as social distancing for X. You have to reduce down the average movement for everyone to slow down the spread. Over a long enough timeline literally everyone will get it as even if you quarantined a geographical area it still needs food and skilled employees to cross the boundary and eventually the virus will get in.

Even if you could socially distance just a subgroup, the numbers not in the sub group would still overwhelm the NHS.

Finally someone who gets it. Thank you!

PVA

Grendel, if must be galling for you to have spent the day criticising the response of the other European countries as an overreaction only for Boris and Patrick Vallance to say this evening that we are going to start implementing the same measures and in some cases earlier on the curve?

There will be some whataboutery or sidestepping to say that actually our approach is way better, despite now (finally) being the same.

djr8369

There will be some whataboutery or sidestepping to say that actually our approach is way better, despite now (finally) being the same.

I know, it’s a fruitless crusade yet I can’t help myself.

Reactions: PVA

djr8369

I noticed Patrick Vallance said we’re a few weeks behind Italy. Hopefully Grendel or David can get hold of him to let him know he’s wrong and doesn’t know how to read a graph. Will save everyone a lot of aggro.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's not as though there are zero other precautions being taken or that have been in previous weeks.

shmmeee

Jesus.

Researchers at Imperial College London, whose disease modelling fed into the government’s new and more stringent coronavirus strategy announced on Monday, said the move could cut UK deaths from Covid-19 from an estimated 260,000 under the previous policy to “a few thousands or tens of thousands.”

But measures might need to be sustained for many months or longer to keep suppressing infection. “We might be living in a very different world for a year or more,” said Neil Ferguson, head of the modelling programme at Imperial’s MRC centre for global infectious disease analysis.

The researchers presented their latest analysis after the prime minister’s press conference at 10 Downing Street. They suggested that the government’s original policy announced last week would have cut Covid-19 deaths from 500,000 without any action at all to 260,000 — and would have reduced peak healthcare demand by two-thirds but would still “overwhelm the health system”.

260,000 deaths under the original plan.

Living with social distancing for a year or more.

PVA

What a pompous oaf he is

Yes what a pompous oaf indeed...

"France is taking a slightly different approach. Macron has told the nation he wants no company to be exposed to the risk of collapse as a result of the pandemic. He has also said gas, electricity and water bills are to be suspended – as are rents – and the state will guarantee companies’ loans with a €300bn package."

Now that is what you called leadership.

If he's a pompous oaf what the hell does that make our Prime Minister?

Users who are viewing this thread