Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (59 Viewers)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

IMO Hancock is utterly disingenuous but he’s also completely out of his depth. Cummings is a deceptive c*** that thinks his needs outweigh the needs of everyone else in the population.
The problem I have with Hancock is that he has no expression in his face or voice, like that of a mass murderer or the butcher of some 1940s concentration camp. It's almost ghoulish.

Sky Blue Pete

I think we have to face the inevitability of this looking at Spain and France. Where’s the creative answers to this once in a generation issue?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Until we have a vaccine we have to live with this virus . It's going to flare up, die down and then flare up again. At the moment we're trying to plug holes in a leaking bath only for it to spring more leaks elsewhere. All shutting down this city, that area will do is slow the spread, but the spread will continue all the same .

I think in the end only a short sharp national lockdown will work. It has to be over a half term to coincide with half term, but it has to be for at least two weeks .

The experts are predicting the peak of this second wave could be Xmas week.
Happy yuletide everyone.

Sky Blue Pete

Until we have a vaccine we have to live with this virus . It's going to flare up, die down and then flare up again. At the moment we're trying to plug holes in a leaking bath only for it to spring more leaks elsewhere. All shutting down this city, that area will do is slow the spread, but the spread will continue all the same .

I think in the end only a short sharp national lockdown will work. It has to be over a half term to coincide with half term, but it has to be for at least two weeks .

The experts are predicting the peak of this second wave could be Xmas week.
Happy yuletide everyone.
That’s not a bad idea that’s the creative kind of stuff we need

chiefdave

Its about 5 weeks to half term isn't it? With cases doubling every 7 to 8 days would it not be better to do it sooner rather than later?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Its about 5 weeks to half term isn't it? With cases doubling every 7 to 8 days would it not be better to do it sooner rather than later?
Probably. The sooner the better . Perhaps a 3 week shutdown starting two weeks before half term. I'm making this up really . Gut feeling and all that. Can't be worse than any plans the govt currently have.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

With the Xmas thing I wonder if they'll be suggesting not to send cards/presents just in case. Certainly telling people not to lick the envelopes anyway.
That's a good point. You can bet they won't until around Christmas Eve. I'm going to buy everyone a packet of face masks for Christmas.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Israel having a 3 week national lockdown
That's surely what we have to do. All this shutting down bits and pieces isn't going to work. Leicester virus is already on the rise again . I can imagine a ridiculous situation in a couple of months where every single part of the UK has, at some point, been in a second shutdown and then the cycle continues again.
Shut the country down asap. Short , sharp total shutdown.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's surely what we have to do. All this shutting down bits and pieces isn't going to work. Leicester virus is already on the rise again . I can imagine a ridiculous situation in a couple of months where every single part of the UK has, at some point, been in a second shutdown and then the cycle continues again.
Shut the country down asap. Short , sharp total shutdown.

But I think their plan due to economic concerns is to just look at local rates to stop local healthcare services getting overwhelmed.

Trouble is at some point it's going to be rising everywhere and as soon as you open somewhere up again the rates will rise rapidly. Only as strong as it's weakest link.

We may end up with so many local lockdowns they're effectively a national one. But at least that way any complaints about lockdown and the economic impact govt can try and fob it off on local authorities. After blaming the public of course.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

But I think their plan due to economic concerns is to just look at local rates to stop local healthcare services getting overwhelmed.

Trouble is at some point it's going to be rising everywhere and as soon as you open somewhere up again the rates will rise rapidly. Only as strong as it's weakest link.

We may end up with so many local lockdowns they're effectively a national one. But at least that way any complaints about lockdown and the economic impact govt can try and fob it off on local authorities. After blaming the public of course.
Yes I agree . I think a 3 week total lockdown would be the best way to suppress the spread but I think the economic impact is something that is going to prevent it. We will undoubtedly end up with most of the country shut down without it officially being a shut down . It'll just mean the virus won't be suppressed as quickly nor will the numbers fall back as far as they should, in which case these regional shutdowns are here to stay permanently. Bugger.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

57 per 100k
Pardon my ignorance but do you know at what stage a lockdown kicks in on that scale ? That sounds quite high. Mind you , I bet most towns and cities are pretty high now.

Ian1779

Probably. The sooner the better . Perhaps a 3 week shutdown starting two weeks before half term. I'm making this up really . Gut feeling and all that. Can't be worse than any plans the govt currently have.

I think a couple of shutdowns centred around half-term and Xmas that could be bolted on to the original holidays could help and would minimise the time out of school.

Grendel

Pardon my ignorance but do you know at what stage a lockdown kicks in on that scale ? That sounds quite high. Mind you , I bet most towns and cities are pretty high now.

You wouldnt notice any difference if they closed the town centre anyway

skybluetony176

Sorry. But they need to shut pubs and gyms again. And as a result of the main demographic that seems to be spreading it. Close the schools vs closing pubs and gyms doesn’t really need discussion. It’s ultimately our children that are the generation that’s going to have to pay the biggest price of this pandemic regardless so let’s at least give them the best possible education under the circumstances to do that.

clint van damme

Sorry. But they need to shut pubs and gyms again. And as a result of the main demographic that seems to be spreading it. Close the schools vs closing pubs and gyms doesn’t really need discussion. It’s ultimately our children that are the generation that’s going to have to pay the biggest price of this pandemic regardless so let’s at least give them the best possible education under the circumstances to do that.

To be fair, I was at the gym yexterday and they see. To be trying to do everything right to keep the environment safe. A couple of local pubs I could name however........

Nick

Administrator
Have you been in a gym?

My gym is cleaner than most hospitals. Bottles of spray and wipes next to everything and people cleaning after use as well as staff doing laps cleaning.

ajsccfc

I think for the most part gyms are ok, pubs try to be but you can't account for people's behaviour with booze at the best of times so they'd be first in my list

clint van damme

I think for the most part gyms are ok, pubs try to be but you can't account for people's behaviour with booze at the best of times so they'd be first in my list

But taking customers names (when you can remember) on individual scrap pieces of paper lying in a puddle of spilt beer on the bar probably isn't the ideal way to run track and trace!

Brighton Sky Blue

Then let me teach them properly rather than in random rooms confined to a box

Users who are viewing this thread