Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (35 Viewers)

skybluetony176

or that is a system that could work but at this stage is not considered a gold standard system.

Nice try though

As the government says they hope the technology becomes available soon
Their whole handling of the crisis reminds me of that episode of Extras with Patrick Stewart where he fantasises about being able to walk into a room, say “make it so” and whatever he wants to happen just instantaneously happens like a miracle. Granted in Extras it was usually something to do with women’s clothes falling off but you get the point. Boris has gone full Trump and thinks if he just says whatever is in his head it will happen just because it will. The man has a complete detachment from reality. You’d have thought a dose of Covid might have concentrated his mind but yet here we are.

chiefdave

Considering the amount of anti vaxers around I think something like this is maybe more effective and quicker combined with a QR code or the like and a short lockdown to cover the incubation period?
They use a smartphone app with QR code in the NHL bubble. Essentially every morning they have to go to a terminal where they scan their QR code, the machine reads their temperature and if they're OK the app background goes green for the day, if they fail it goes red. They then use the app to gain access to anywhere. They also get a regular test everyday and presumably if anyone fails that info is linked to the app - not certain on that as nobody has failed.

The issue is actually developing the test and how you administer it in a way that ensures people can't cheat the system.

Edit: you can see the app on this video. Its only temperature and not an actual test but its a start. Why not have them at schools, offices, stores etc?

Last edited:

chiefdave

Oh man, can't go in to detail but I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to schools in Cov coming in soon. If not on a wider scale.
There's already been two schools in Cov with positive tests hasn't there? I don't see how you avoid contact in schools. If you assume there's going to be contact, and that kids can pass it on without even knowing they have it, then you accept that there will be kids who pick it up at school and then take it out into the wider community and pass it on to others.

Even Johnson admitted that in his appearance last night but seemed to push all responsibly back onto schools and parents who are trying to follow guidance from the government that doesn't make sense.

Seen some news reports on other countries and how they have prepared schools and a lot more seems to have been done but it appears they're starting from a position of larger rooms, smaller class sizes etc. Finham was pretty cramped when I went 30 years ago and the only thing that has changed since is the number of pupils has increased.

Lots of people on social media moaning about kids going to and from school, mixing in large groups, no masks, going into shops but why are they going to social distance when they've been told its OK to be in school together all day?

Grendel

There's already been two schools in Cov with positive tests hasn't there? I don't see how you avoid contact in schools. If you assume there's going to be contact, and that kids can pass it on without even knowing they have it, then you accept that there will be kids who pick it up at school and then take it out into the wider community and pass it on to others.

Even Johnson admitted that in his appearance last night but seemed to push all responsibly back onto schools and parents who are trying to follow guidance from the government that doesn't make sense.

Seen some news reports on other countries and how they have prepared schools and a lot more seems to have been done but it appears they're starting from a position of larger rooms, smaller class sizes etc. Finham was pretty cramped when I went 30 years ago and the only thing that has changed since is the number of pupils has increased.

Lots of people on social media moaning about kids going to and from school, mixing in large groups, no masks, going into shops but why are they going to social distance when they've been told its OK to be in school together all day?

Do you think we should just close schools until a vaccine then Dave

Sky Blue Pete

I think we should allow the virus to run wild in schools and protect vulnerable kids and teachers by letting them stay home.
Actually no that’s not a solution either

what’s yours Grendel?

David O'Day

I think we should allow the virus to run wild in schools and protect vulnerable kids and teachers by letting them stay home.

what’s yours Grendel?

He'll just pretend he is an expert in Schooling to add to the million other pretend lives he's had on here.

chiefdave

Not sure where in my post I said that but if its a straight choice between putting education on hold for a few months, or even a year, or causing an increase in virus circulation that could lead to thousands of deaths I think you have to give it serious consideration.

Of course a competent government would have already run through the scenarios and have worked out a plan to resolve the glaringly obvious issues in schools that were being flagged up before kids went back.

Even relatively simple things like do we have a nationwide remote learning system ready to go if needed? Last time round the excuse was nobody was expecting this and therefore nothing was prepared but that was months ago so surely something in place now.

Saddlebrains

I said this on another thread however my theory is its no coincidence that the government are hunkering down for the winter with restrictions now after it came out the oxford vaccine trial was stopped due to side affects. They gambled on this vaccine being ready next month. Now it isnt its back to tighter measures.

wingy

Was supposed to be starting a café refit on Saturday night 3-4 weeks work .
Such a gamble if had to halt halfway through.
No money first job in six months savings ebbing away ,let alone in the vulnerable group .
Ball hlll was scary yesterday afternoon when we went to make arrangements.

Sky Blue Pete

No money first job in six months savings ebbing away ,let alone in the vulnerable group .
That’s so difficult

fernandopartridge

I said this on another thread however my theory is its no coincidence that the government are hunkering down for the winter with restrictions now after it came out the oxford vaccine trial was stopped due to side affects. They gambled on this vaccine being ready next month. Now it isnt its back to tighter measures.

It's because of the case numbers, even with a vaccine you can't just let case numbers go

chiefdave

Feel for you mate. I'm lucky enough to be getting furlough payments but that ends soon and I'll be completely screwed if I'm not back in work when they end.

Buying a house just before this all kicked off could end up being a huge mistake for me. If I was still renting and made redundant my rent would be covered by benefits but for some illogical reason you get nothing if you have a mortgage.

Ventured out a couple of days ago to run some errands for my parents and you wouldn't know there was a pandemic. People are acting like its all over and we can all go about things as usual.

shmmeee

Or how about we go back in time six months and use the time to do what everyone with a passing knowledge of schools said we should be doing and requisitioning empty buildings to allow for actual social distancing in schools.

Keep people WFH, use the office space to teach smaller classes or set up remote learning hubs a TA can police while some teachers teach remotely.

Or put in proper remote learning and let teachers do that.

Or do what the scientific advisors said and shut pubs to open schools.

What we shouldn’t have done is what we did: fuck all and hope it’ll be OK.

robbiekeane

Buying a house just before this all kicked off could end up being a huge mistake for me. If I was still renting and made redundant my rent would be covered by benefits but for some illogical reason you get nothing if you have a mortgage.
Who is your mortgage with mate? Could be worth just having a look if they are offering anything at the minute - Nationwide were allowing a mortgage holiday for 3 months for covid no explanation or evidence necessary...could be a prudent proactive measure in case the worst happens

Grendel

Not sure where in my post I said that but if its a straight choice between putting education on hold for a few months, or even a year, or causing an increase in virus circulation that could lead to thousands of deaths I think you have to give it serious consideration.

Of course a competent government would have already run through the scenarios and have worked out a plan to resolve the glaringly obvious issues in schools that were being flagged up before kids went back.

Even relatively simple things like do we have a nationwide remote learning system ready to go if needed? Last time round the excuse was nobody was expecting this and therefore nothing was prepared but that was months ago so surely something in place now.

So let’s adopt global best practice - which country in your view has the practice and has proved its competency regarding schools?

Grendel

what’s yours Grendel?

well only 4 children I believe have died in the U.K. and all have underlying health conditions

The country is gripped by a paralysis of fear. The amount dying under 45 Is below 500 and again over 80% had underlying health conditions

Under 65 it’s 5,000 again many having had it in hospital and died with severe causes.

22,000 deaths are over 85

I can’t really be bothered to discuss as fear is exceeding the virus and the reality now. Other countries have had schools open and Sweden has had very little higher death rates than Us if you Factor in the care home issue

Our response is defying logic I’m afraid so there’s little point in trying to logically discuss the issue

Sky Blue Pete

well only 4 children I believe have died in the U.K. and all have underlying health conditions

The country is gripped by a paralysis of fear. The amount dying under 45 Is below 500 and again over 80% had underlying health conditions

Under 65 it’s 5,000 again many having had it in hospital and died with severe causes.

22,000 deaths are over 85

I can’t really be bothered to discuss as fear is exceeding the virus and the reality now. Other countries have had schools open and Sweden has had very little higher death rates than Us if you Factor in the care home issue

Our response is defying logic I’m afraid so there’s little point in trying to logically discuss the issue
So you are in the camp of just educate normally and if a kid is poorly don’t come in and if they feel ok then come in. It’s a policy I’m not sure medical experts would agree with it

Grendel

So you are in the camp of just educate normally and if a kid is poorly don’t come in and if they feel ok then come in. It’s a policy I’m not sure medical experts would agree with it

How are other countries handling it then?

CCFCSteve

Not sure you can say that Tony when Spain and France are running at c9-10k cases per day and schools have recently reopened. Personally I believe it’s the right thing for now and if there are outbreaks in a certain locations then it would be sensible to close them again (in that area). But why deny children an education in say Devon, when there’s a spike in say the North East ?! (if there is less than minimal risk to them - as per current data)

We all know it is the poorest kids that are losing out the most in all of this. I know of at least two sets of parents that have (begrudgingly) moved their kids into private due to how their school has dealt with the Covid situation ie lack of teaching and concerns their kids are falling behind.

CCFCSteve

Ps does anyone know why we aren’t implementing the standard tech track and trace software yet ? (in conjunction with the manual track and trace). Are we looking for different specifications ? I know the original bespoke software failed but wasn’t sure why they haven’t reverted to the standard one (think Scotland and NI have). No smart answers please !!!! ; )

Brighton Sky Blue

That is the camp I am in and I dare say that as each day goes by more of my colleagues are coming around to it. The education we are providing is seriously hindered by the extensive restrictions being imposed upon it and leads me to believe that remote learning would be better if this is the best we can do in school. Let us teach and do our jobs normally and drop the idea that bubbles of over 100 people some of whom are nearly if not 18 will do anything significant.

skybluetony176

Not sure you can say that Tony when Spain and France are running at c9-10k cases per day and schools have recently reopened. Personally I believe it’s the right thing for now and if there are outbreaks in a certain locations then it would be sensible to close them again (in that area). But why deny children an education in say Devon, when there’s a spike in say the North East ?! (if there is less than minimal risk to them - as per current data)

We all know it is the poorest kids that are losing out the most in all of this. I know of at least two sets of parents that have (begrudgingly) moved their kids into private due to how their school has dealt with the Covid situation ie lack of teaching and concerns their kids are falling behind.
More to it than that though. Track and trace is a disaster, testing is a disaster. How can you model what schools are safe when the tools to do that is in tatters. The situation regarding information on what precautions to take to open schools would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious, especially how long it took to get that information and how much time it gave the schools to get ready. In the end we had to copy Scotland’s homework.

CCFCSteve

That is the camp I am in and I dare say that as each day goes by more of my colleagues are coming around to it. The education we are providing is seriously hindered by the extensive restrictions being imposed upon it and leads me to believe that remote learning would be better if this is the best we can do in school. Let us teach and do our jobs normally and drop the idea that bubbles of over 100 people some of whom are nearly if not 18 will do anything significant.

BSB, was there push back on remote learning previously ? I read a fair bit pre summer that unions weren’t keen (but also don’t know if Williamson ever pushed it - let’s be honest, he’s shit so who knows) As Dave alluded to above, I thought schools might’ve prepped for more remote learning incase of further lockdowns.

Grendel

BSB, was there push back on remote learning previously ? I read a fair bit pre summer that unions weren’t keen (but also don’t know if Williamson ever pushed it - let’s be honest, he’s shit so who knows) As Dave alluded to above, I thought schools might’ve prepped for more remote learning incase of further lockdowns.

How can remote learning apply to practical subjects?

Users who are viewing this thread