Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (34 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Very uninspiring. I can only assume that they’re either keeping something back for the autumn budget when the miracle they’re hoping falls in their laps doesn’t materialise or they’re holding back for next year when the transition period ends and the inevitable fuck up that’s brexit hits home.

wingy

Very uninspiring. I can only assume that they’re either keeping something back for the autumn budget when the miracle they’re hoping falls in their laps doesn’t materialise or they’re holding back for next year when the transition period ends and the inevitable fuck up that’s brexit hits home.
Keep wondering if it is for major manufacturer loan/ part Nationalisation .
Either that or mergers / takeovers by international behemoths.

David O'Day

Exactly, there is nothing there that would really help.

There is still a very large demand shock that hasn't been dealt with

David O'Day

Keep wondering if it is for major manufacturer loan/ part Nationalisation .
Either that or mergers / takeovers by international behemoths.

There was absolutely nothing for manufacturing was there. That was a surprise.

shmmeee

Anyway just imagine how bad the 2008 crisis would have been if the Tories were in power

We’re so lucky Brown was there at the time. You just have to look at the mess they made of the recovery to see how bad it’d have been. And as we lead the global response at the time (imagine us doing that now?) it would’ve meant the world economy would likely have been in the toilet.

clint van damme

David O'Day

Peston raised a good point for once

The half price eating out will just switch weekend trade to a mon/tues/wed and not increased demand or spending by much

SBAndy

Peston raised a good point for once

The half price eating out will just switch weekend trade to a mon/tues/wed and not increased demand or spending by much

Also raises the issue that some restaurants may have been intending to close/operate reduced staffing during the week but may now have to employ more (and this spend more of their cash) in the hope this scheme pays off.

D

Deleted member 4439

... and there's an unneeded stamp duty cut.

It's needed by their mates who build homes, and who need the churn. That's why it's also on second homes. We know of course that it's the last thing the country needs.

Lockdown was a disaster for the country's finances, though I'm not sure there was an alternative.

chiefdave

I know its been joked about on social media but there is never a shortage of this type of midweek offer on sites like Groupon. It seems a very odd thing to have come up with.

ajsccfc

Buying through the meerkat insurance site in particular gives you 2 for 1 at restaurants all year barring Fridays and Saturdays which makes this Mon-Wed in August thing a bit of a miss

Ian1779

We’re so lucky Brown was there at the time. You just have to look at the mess they made of the recovery to see how bad it’d have been. And as we lead the global response at the time (imagine us doing that now?) it would’ve meant the world economy would likely have been in the toilet.

Oven ready recovery plan brought to you by boil in the bag economics.

Ian1779

Thanks for all the housing market advice. I think it’s still pretty uncertain out there... as much as the wife was excited about the stamp duty, she did also acknowledge that it probably isn’t going to be a priority for a lot of people, and their are probably better priorities to be focusing on.

chiefdave

Thanks for all the housing market advice. I think it’s still pretty uncertain out there... as much as the wife was excited about the stamp duty, she did also acknowledge that it probably isn’t going to be a priority for a lot of people, and their are probably better priorities to be focusing on.
Nothing to stop you whacking in low offers on places and see what response you get. Although once you get to the looking at houses stage you might be at the point of no return with the wife and have to move even if you aren't getting a bargain.

Ian1779

Nothing to stop you whacking in low offers on places and see what response you get. Although once you get to the looking at houses stage you might be at the point of no return with the wife and have to move even if you aren't getting a bargain.

Yep you can see how that would unfold a mile off. I’m inclined to think that if we put ours up we aim for a higher price and then if it goes it would help.

SBAndy

Certainly locally, the housing market is fairly buoyant. There will be important considerations like job security on your ability to meet repayments, but I wouldn’t expect that to be too much trouble for you as a teacher.

Also depends on the equity stake in your property as to how you approach this. May even be opportunity to look at let-to-buy or splitting your equity stake across 2 properties seeing as stamp duty has been cut on these purchases as well.

Walsgrave

It kind of shows just how poor people are at cooking that the economy is so reliant on the health of restaurants. I know in other countries a high proportion eat out quite often too, but given how expensive the average meal is here, it shows how bad we are at educating people on things like cooking, for both health and personal finance benefits. Obviously I want restaurants and bars to recover and all!

fernandopartridge

It kind of shows just how poor people are at cooking that the economy is so reliant on the health of restaurants. I know in other countries a high proportion eat out quite often too, but given how expensive the average meal is here, it shows how bad we are at educating people on things like cooking, for both health and personal finance benefits. Obviously I want restaurants and bars to recover and all!
Do you think that's the reason? I think it's more that casual dining has replaced the pub in many respects. Also a bit of a lifestyle thing too, it's a social media event for some.

wingy

It's been a saturated sector for a while now .
Quite a few failures prior to this .
One of the hopes of local authorities trying to drive a recovery in City centres but failing I think.

Walsgrave

Do you think that's the reason? I think it's more that casual dining has replaced the pub in many respects. Also a bit of a lifestyle thing too, it's a social media event for some.
To be fair everything is related in some way. Self-sufficiency in terms of cooking has been poor in the UK and US (I can't comment on other Western countries), but I know that even in other countries where people eat out a lot, the basic cooking skills are emphasised, whereas here we tend to clap when someone can put together a full English breakfast or beans on toast.

So then we have lots of people who are reliant on restaurant meals/takeaways. I don't necessarily begrudge their decision and I'm happy for people to make their own choices, but we generally lack an emphasis on cooking skills. Heck, even the stuff people buy in shops consists of either ready meals or relatively easy-to-cook meals. I think we may be seeing more of a shift away though, which is encouraging, because of things like veganism etc.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Sunak's not having a good day. Car crash interview on BBC Breakfast this morning. Amazes me how often members of government show up on TV with no clue how to answer questions it must have been obvious they were going to be asked.

David O'Day

Sunak's not having a good day. Car crash interview on BBC Breakfast this morning. Amazes me how often members of government show up on TV with no clue how to answer questions it must have been obvious they were going to be asked.
Yep the "PM in waiting" was once again out of his depth when not reading a prepared script from an autocue

Users who are viewing this thread