Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (49 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sort of a merge with the BLM/George Floyd and this there is the evidence that BAME groups are more susceptible to the virus being lethal and I've seen quite a few saying this is further proof of racism.

Is that actually accurate? Do we know it's due to racism rather than just genetic differences? After all they've also found that men are also more likely to die than women, so is it therefore due to some form of sexism?

It may well have some part to play, but surely this is something that will need a lot of research and data crunching to ascertain if it's due to a genetic difference, cultural behaviour or societal inequality etc.

shmmeee

Sort of a merge with the BLM/George Floyd and this there is the evidence that BAME groups are more susceptible to the virus being lethal and I've seen quite a few saying this is further proof of racism.

Is that actually accurate? Do we know it's due to racism rather than just genetic differences? After all they've also found that men are also more likely to die than women, so is it therefore due to some form of sexism?

It may well have some part to play, but surely this is something that will need a lot of research and data crunching to ascertain if it's due to a genetic difference, cultural behaviour or societal inequality etc.

IIRC once you control for socioeconomic factors the difference is a lot smaller.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

IIRC once you control for socioeconomic factors the difference is a lot smaller.

Interesting if true, but it does makes it a grey area.

If the socioeconomic factor is more important BUT black people are very heavily held back from improving this situation with jobs etc compared to even poor white folks, racism does also play a part in it.

Sky Blue Pete

Looks like we’ll be left behind by Germany France Spain and Italy before we get on top of things. Really hope not but our figures are staying at 1600 or so there’s are a few hundred

wingy

Only anecdotal from a small representation a few weeks back the generalized rate appeared greater in the Eastern suburbs of our city than for instance Stoke where I live .

shmmeee

Interesting if true, but it does makes it a grey area.

If the socioeconomic factor is more important BUT black people are very heavily held back from improving this situation with jobs etc compared to even poor white folks, racism does also play a part in it.

I’m very aware of the eyes of hill83 on me here, but I honestly believe economic factors are mostly a class issue here. Our social mobility is very poor, white British boys are our worst educational performers for example. Racism definitely exists in the job market and those experiments with black sounding names prove it, but I think class is to Britain what race is to the States. It’s why I don’t think you should mix the politics.

I think both white and black working class communities have issues around attitudes to education that Asian communities for example don’t, whereas what I see in the states is almost segregation and a definite black movement to value education as a route out. Also the police seem to harbour far more outright racists than here.

I don’t want to trivialise anything and definitely would defer to black people who disagree though.

Fully agree. People said it would spike after V.E day parties. Then after the bank holiday.

Fuck all happened cases wise

Indont think there’s any evidence of large gatherings for either is there? I mean other than the odd video online. Nothing of the scale of Cheltenham which we know did cause a spike. These protests probably on that level but then again lockdowns basically lifted last week if you look outside so would be hard to pin on any event.

End of next week we should start to see the impacts if they’re there.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’m very aware of the eyes of hill83 on me here, but I honestly believe economic factors are mostly a class issue here. Our social mobility is very poor, white British boys are our worst educational performers for example. Racism definitely exists in the job market and those experiments with black sounding names prove it, but I think class is to Britain what race is to the States. It’s why I don’t think you should mix the politics.

I think both white and black working class communities have issues around attitudes to education that Asian communities for example don’t, whereas what I see in the states is almost segregation and a definite black movement to value education as a route out. Also the police seem to harbour far more outright racists than here.

I don’t want to trivialise anything and definitely would defer to black people who disagree though.

I agree entirely on the class thing. Social mobility is extremely difficult and those in the upper classes will strongly resist anyone trying to attain it as on the whole many of them see it as their birthright. But there are almost no black people in those classes and so they will be resisted just as much so it's a double whammy for them and even harder to achieve.

I dont think there’s any evidence of large gatherings for either is there? I mean other than the odd video online. Nothing of the scale of Cheltenham which we know did cause a spike. These protests probably on that level but then again lockdowns basically lifted last week if you look outside so would be hard to pin on any event.

End of next week we should start to see the impacts if they’re there.

There were small parties around the place but nothing compared to what we've seen post Cummings and now with the protests.

However it is worth looking at our figures compared to others and ours are staying higher in comparison to others which could be related. It's not a 'spike' as such but they have remained at a stubborn level when from trends elsewhere they should probably be falling quicker.

I think we'll see them continue to be stubborn and in 7-10 days they could be in danger of drifting back up again due to a mixture of easing restrictions and more likely the protests (which have given the govt a prime excuse to blame it on rather than the effect Cummings had on the national psyche . Hope I'm wrong but I think we're still some way from seeing them fall to 'low' numbers

shmmeee

I agree entirely on the class thing. Social mobility is extremely difficult and those in the upper classes will strongly resist anyone trying to attain it as on the whole many of them see it as their birthright. But there are almost no black people in those classes and so they will be resisted just as much so it's a double whammy for them and even harder to achieve.

Definitely. I think the lack of black people in the upper echelons of society is mostly a function of the fact that almost all black people start in the working classes. A lot more needs to be done to get black kids on tracks to careers like law, politics and the like and into elite institutions. Weirdly I think one benefit African Americans have forged out of the adversity of segregation is the black education system. I don’t think something like that is possible here for a variety of reasons but it does foster a community of black educators and role models and community leaders that I think we lack here. Same for the black churches TBH. Overall I think our integrative approach is better for social cohesion, but I wonder if we miss a trick of targeted action tailored to the needs of black kids.

hill83

Can you explain why you think Corbyn is a 'commie?

Saw it on the internet m8. Be positive.

If I didn’t know any better I’d say the bloke is a specific person I know. He’s exactly the same. If his username and the avatar of himself he used for a couple of days didn’t suggest otherwise I’d be convinced.

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

Lockdown is phased down now over here, we were free to go anywhere in the county today & lots of shops opened up, police checks all gone too, and it was bloody weird, how I imagine a prison inmate might feel- you spend what feels like forever locked indoors longing for freedom & navigating police checks to go more than a couple of miles, the day comes when you’re released again and... ...nobody has any idea at all of what to actually do, there’s too much choice all of a sudden, ages is spent deliberating on where to go & in the end up everyone just kind of ends up mooching about looking at open shops with wide eyes, as if they were a startling new invention, and walking around with huge full bags of crap they no doubt don’t need

clint van damme

Matt Hancock has just said on Marr that not locking down earlier didn't cost lives. What a lying bastard.

clint van damme

Thing is, I'm sympathetic to us not doing so... many people would accept a rationale behind it as opposed to a load of empty bluster.

totally agree. They tie themselves in knots trying to justify or cover up every fuck up they make instead of admitting them and then concentrating on getting it right going forward.

chiefdave

Matt Hancock has just said on Marr that not locking down earlier didn't cost lives. What a lying bastard.
Was a shocking interview. Hancock couldn't say how many people had been traced, couldn't say now many people had been tested and had no idea when the app will be ready.

Surely they are all softball questions that would have been expected.

Didn't do much better when asked how many black people were in the cabinet. Named Sunak and Patel! When he was pulled up on them being asian not black he went with Kwarteng who was removed from the cabinet in the last reshuffle. He bodged the same question on Ridge as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread