Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t know the benefits or otherwise of the school closures, but I know here it’s all being done via Webinar and MS Teams- looks pretty smart apart from I keep getting told to shut up as they can’t hear what’s going on, and there have been a couple of unfortunate incidents of not having speakers muted at certain times :)

I have been trained up on teaching via webinar and MS Teams but as I teach a practical subject it's not straightforward or as effective. It is also much more work for me than just going in and teaching normally, with no real consequences for students not doing the work.

Ring Of Steel

The paper itself explains the rationale behind what we're doing, editors of course will have their own view and nowhere have I said that Vallance has got it 100% right-I want to see more strict social distancing of the elderly ASAP. But I do think the government has been correct in principle to follow the strategy they have done and, until recently, to stand by it.

I can meet you halfway and agree that it’s right to have these people guiding the govt. But I can’t give any credit for that to the govt- that’s what the experts in their field are there for. You could- and I in fact will- argue that by not showing backbone if this is the right way to go, and by leaving it to newspapers to leak rumoured next steps, the govt have singularly failed to perform their most basic of roles.

Ring Of Steel

I have been trained up on teaching via webinar and MS Teams but as I teach a practical subject it's not straightforward or as effective. It is also much more work for me than just going in and teaching normally, with no real consequences for students not doing the work.

Oh there’s real consequences in my house alright! I’m sick of checking up on them already

pipkin73

All the best to you
Thanks mate, but if the Quarantine goes on for more than a month i think i'm fucked.
Spent all my spare money looking after the Mrs but she still passed away, spent thousands on medical care as she was not covered as it was a rare illness.
Went in to debt as friends lent me money to help her, now paid them all back and brought about 3 months of stock for the business to try and get ahead.
Now this shit, think i'm fucked...
Been a great few years lol, few years ago i had shit load of spare cash and helped loads of people, printed everything charity wise for free etc.
When we had all the fires out here, again i printed everything for free as people needed help.
Bollocks to this shit, anyone got a council house i can have lol

Ring Of Steel

We at least have a free at the point of use healthcare system and statutory sick pay. The Americans don't have either and some individual states have more deaths than we do as a country. They are going to be the worst off out of the developed nations.

I would agree, but we will be next worst without doubt, we already have the worst inequality levels. You can’t really compare anyone to USA in terms of how bad it will be there, likely to be off the scale.

Brighton Sky Blue

I can meet you halfway and agree that it’s right to have these people guiding the govt. But I can’t give any credit for that to the govt- that’s what the experts in their field are there for. You could- and I in fact will- argue that by not showing backbone if this is the right way to go, and by leaving it to newspapers to leak rumoured next steps, the govt have singularly failed to perform their most basic of roles.

To be honest since governments ignore science most of the time I had big concerns they would do it again. All I'm saying is that I'm pleased if not just relieved that experts are leading the strategy, but I'm displeased at how politicians are selling and framing it. Ireland has a similar strategy in place-they have just progressed it more quickly and Varadkar himself said it caught him by surprise.

Brighton Sky Blue

I would agree, but we will be next worst without doubt, we already have the worst inequality levels. You can’t really compare anyone to USA in terms of how bad it will be there, likely to be off the scale.

The French and Spanish are looking considerably worse at the moment.

Ring Of Steel

Thanks mate, but if the Quarantine goes on for more than a month i think i'm fucked.
Spent all my spare money looking after the Mrs but she still passed away, spent thousands on medical care as she was not covered as it was a rare illness.
Went in to debt as friends lent me money to help her, now paid them all back and brought about 3 months of stock for the business to try and get ahead.
Been a great few years lol, few years ago i had shit load of spare cash and helped loads of people, printed everything charity wise for free etc.
When we had all the fires out here, again i printed everything for free as people needed help.

bloody hell- sorry, have they said how long it will likely be for?

Ring Of Steel

To be honest since governments ignore science most of the time I had big concerns they would do it again. All I'm saying is that I'm pleased if not just relieved that experts are leading the strategy, but I'm displeased at how politicians are selling and framing it. Ireland has a similar strategy in place-they have just progressed it more quickly and Varadkar himself said it caught him by surprise.

To be honest I’m watching what happens there more than here, very early stages here or at least seems to be. Very eerie though, it’s in the air, you can tell people are waiting for it to hit. Plus my family are still over there, most of them slap bang in the ‘vulnerable’ category.

Brighton Sky Blue

To be honest I’m watching what happens there more than here, very early stages here or at least seems to be. Very eerie though, it’s in the air, you can tell people are waiting for it to hit. Plus my family are still over there, most of them slap bang in the ‘vulnerable’ category.

We had booked a holiday in Ireland over Easter. Looks like we'll have to cancel it and hope that Aer Lingus refund us most of the fare

Brylowes

We at least have a free at the point of use healthcare system and statutory sick pay. The Americans don't have either and some individual states have more deaths than we do as a country. They are going to be the worst off out of the developed nations.
Which has been purposely reduced to a shadow of its former self, but I was referring
More to the economic impact that’s sure to be felt by millions of ordinary people.

pipkin73

bloody hell- sorry, have they said how long it will likely be for?
15ish days but they have just brought it forward and we don't know if that counts in them days yet. This is step 1, if it don't clear by then then we are told it will go on for longer, maybe months.
Government have said they will help out workers and give them money to pay the bills, but for those of us who are self employed just a tax break whilst we are closed.

pipkin73

Really think i'm going to have to move back to the UK without a penny, but have thousands out here in equipment and stock but can't sell anything due to the lock down :(

Brighton Sky Blue

I think you might be ok, it is of course whether you want to. Who knows where we’ll be tomorrow let alone next month.

We don’t know if places will be open or if the borders will be open, at this point we’re more likely to cancel than not just because of uncertainty.

wingy

Oh man.
Horrendous.

pipkin73

Oh man.
Horrendous.
Tell me about it mate, the only option i have is to cash in my pension if it goes on longer and i need that. Let's just hope for a miracle and the governments stop over reacting, like i said only 16 cases here so why the hell are we going through this?

wingy

Bollocks, police just about to hit the centre i was in so we have all been kicked out as the bars don't want the massive fines.
I agree, fair enough, they will be like me.
No more income for god knows how long and don't wan't a fine on top).

Quarantine starts NOW and no one is ill with it this side of the island.
(only 16 cases up north and we are all fucked, hysteria)

Loads of business WILL go broke depending on how long it goes on for (including me), i lost most of my money looking after the Mrs when she was ill, insurance would not cover her medical bills.

Anyway, hello to all my CCFC friends (piss off Coventarian), your just a wind up merchant.
I can't move for shit knows how long so i guess you will have to get used to me being on here all the time (poor you lol).
PUSB and lets hope we are all ok

Mate you've had some rough tough times.
Bring it on as much as you like.

pipkin73

Mate you've had some rough tough times.
Bring it on as much as you like.
Cheers mate, over the next god knows how long i might just lol (there again, from today i can't afford beer, cigarettes or anything else and don't even have a Cov game to cheer me up with.
At least after this i wont smoke no more as i won't be able to buy them for weeks.

Otis

I hope you can find a way through it, Pipkin. Good luck to you.

And there is a bit of room in my garage if you want it.

pipkin73

My main pension is with Peugeot, must be a few who worked their on here, does anyone have any numbers for me as i lost all my paperwork when my bathroom flooded (it leaked in to my kitchen and destroyed all my old paper work, number etc). Don't even know where to try now.

Last edited:

wingy

The point on the NHS is true, but even with it being properly funded for the last decade it would still have a limit of endurance. The problem is that the politicians have started to waver in the face of public pressure and because none come from scientific backgrounds, they couldn't bring themselves to express inconvenient truths. Children have particularly high resistance to this disease and do not seem to be involved in its transmission but there's an outcry about shutting down schools.

Patrick Vallance is being let down by politicians who are bad at framing the strategy in terms that make sense to the public. It doesn't invalidate the strategy itself.
Is that right about the children?
So if they need it to get about and you don't get it at big outdoor events it'll spread from the adults mostly in the home?
Conversely the kids won't give it to granny or grandad going home from school .
Out of the cases in China circa 2k cases were children with about 6-7 severe/critical .
According to the WHO they didn't or couldn't find evidence of a wider unreported outbreak beyond the reported cases .
Yet we had a' spokesperson ' who's wheeled out daily that 20% of population may have been infected.over there.

wingy

My main pension is with Peugeot, must be a few who worked their on here, does anyone have any numbers for me as i lost all my paperwork when my bathroom flooded (it leaked in to my kitchen and destroyed all my old paper work, number etc). Don't even know where to try now.
I'll ask my brother
He's just had his
Try and find out later

pipkin73

Geez, you don't have much luck do you.

I hope you can get stuff sorted.
Mate, i'm shit out of it.
Years ago i used to do the lottery with my parents and sister, then it went to twice a week, i wanted to pay the extra and do it twice a week, parents said no as they could not afford it. Guess what? my numbers came up on a Wednesday.
When they changed the pools scoring system, i had a jackpot win the first week, then that bastard Desmond Lynam came on and said don't forget about the new scoring system this week, i never got a penny.
The only luck i ever had was meeting my Mrs and some of my old time friends.
I might have lost everything through her illness but i would do it again any day of the week. Love her so much even if she was a scoucer lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread