Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (56 Viewers)

clint van damme

Has anyone heard from Ikea?
I'm all for the don't interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake mantra but when that mistake is likely to kill people it's time to start actually opposing.

clint van damme

I didn't read a lot of news yesterday, has there been any explanation as to why the vulnerable now don't need to shield?

I haven't heard an explanation either but I'll stick a fiver on spirit of the lockdown, following the science and integrity been mentioned in the statement when they do.

Ring Of Steel

I haven't heard an explanation either but I'll stick a fiver on spirit of the lockdown, following the science and integrity been mentioned in the statement when they do.

Matt Hancock saying it’s because we have flattened the curve and have reduced new infections.

This is the way they operate- and it’s beyond belief that anyone could still find it surprising- something they know is dodgy & will attract questions? Announce it at 10pm on a Saturday night and then hide.

clint van damme

Matt Hancock saying it’s because we have flattened the curve and have reduced new infections.

This is the way they operate- and it’s beyond belief that anyone could still find it surprising- something they know is dodgy & will attract questions? Announce it at 10pm on a Saturday night and then hide.

It couldn't be anything to do with an excuse to get horse racing up and running again could it?
The donation Hancock got for Tattersalls being purely coincidence.

skybluetony176

It couldn't be anything to do with an excuse to get horse racing up and running again could it?
The donation Hancock got for Tattersalls being purely coincidence.
Oh come on. That’s very cynical. It’s not like one of the people behind the track and trace app is the wife of a Tory MP and heavily involved in the horse racing industry. You need to be positive.

Ring Of Steel

Oh come on. That’s very cynical. It’s not like one of the people behind the track and trace app is the wife of a Tory MP and heavily involved in the horse racing industry. You need to be positive.

No I’m sure they are completely unconnected. It’s not as if Newmarket is Matt Hancock’s constituency or anything, is it...

Ring Of Steel

It’s just an onslaught of lies, incompetence, contradictions and self interest. Meanwhile there are now many people over 70 who now have no clue whether it’s safe or not & don’t know what to do. Someone mentioned Starmer (well Ikea actually but I think that was autocorrect!)- he needs to think hard about what he does now, as he’s faced with (whether you like it or not) a brilliantly oiled machine, he looks to me like he’s hugely outgunned just now. A left-leaning messageboard is one thing but the wider public backed by a mostly compliant media is something else completely. He needs to do something- the time for politely standing by is well and truly over.

Grendel

Has anyone heard from Ikea?
I'm all for the don't interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake mantra but when that mistake is likely to kill people it's time to start actually opposing.

Starmer has the delivery of a D List actor in a Z list Soap Opera - Johnson overdoes the machine gun stutter tactic but unless Starmer ups his ability to look remotely interested in what he is saying he will be the Labour version of IDS

clint van damme

Starmer has the delivery of a D List actor in a Z list Soap Opera - Johnson overdoes the machine gun stutter tactic but unless Starmer ups his ability to look remotely interested in what he is saying he will be the Labour version of IDS

Yeah. Sometimes politics is a bear pit and it is nasty and you have to engage that side of it.

David O'Day

Yeah. Sometimes politics is a bear pit and it is nasty and you have to engage that side of it.
I respectfully disagree and once again Trampy is talking utter bullshit

It would be utter counterproductive to not let the conservatives hang themselves at this moment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

samccov1987

Starmer is a safe pair of hands for labour after Corbyn; middle of the road, plays with a straight bat & from his legal background measured and assured arguments. It’s not exciting or inspiring but should help build confidence. Realistically with the majority Boris got labour would have been looking to cut the majority down significantly by the next parliament but probably not win.

The situation now though is vastly different; the conservatives look a rable. Boris has no control, Hancock a rabbit in the headlights, every middle class housewives crush Dom Rabb... and then throw in mean girl Priti. Nasty Party 2.0.

Even if you agreed with Brexit you would acknowledge there would be short term pain but we now face a Pandemic that will lead to mass unemployment.

Rishi as things stand is the only one that comes out with any credit but much like Gordon Brown at some point the macro circumstances come back to bite you.

Boris fast appears to be a busted flush and whilst he might take us out of Europe and win the argument he may not ‘win the war’.

After 10 years of Conservative government and huge political upheaval they need to get a grip. The public are going to vote for change unless they navigate very stormy waters.

Keir ain’t great but he doesn’t need to be to beat this lot.

clint van damme

I respectfully disagree and once again Trampy is talking utter bullshit

It would be utter counterproductive to not let the conservatives hang themselves at this moment.

Fair enough.. Ive seen some merit in Starmers measured approach.
I just think this latest Tory madness needs some I your face opposition.

David O'Day

Fair enough.. Ive seen some merit in Starmers measured approach.
I just think this latest Tory madness needs some I your face opposition.
Maybe but you then run the risk of messing it up for to that much of a gain.

It's a similar tactic to what Biden needs to do in the US

David O'Day

But they only did 115k tests yesterday. Matt Hancock said they could have done 200k though.
I could of shagged Heidi Klum but I didn't.

The promise as blurted out at PMQs was 200k tests a day anyway.

David O'Day

The long game could still be the better option.
Yep its 4 plus years until the next election

Starmer would of at best hoped for a way to claw the Tories back economically once their brexit deal didn't lead to the sunlit uplands. So for it to be 4 to 6 point is better than they could ever of hoped

NorthernWisdom

Yep its 4 plus years until the next election

Starmer would of at best hoped for a way to claw the Tories back economically once their brexit deal didn't lead to the sunlit uplands. So for it to be 4 to 6 point is better than they could ever of hoped

Problem is the failed Brexit argument probably won't wash next time, as they'll just point to coronovirus!

David O'Day

The daily briefing is now an embarrassment.

Jenny Harries will just say anything to keep her job.

chiefdave

They really are treating people like complete idiots. First it was number of people tested, then it changed to tests and now its changed to testing capacity.

They've even hit the 100K people a day target they initially set. Fudged it on the last day of the month by mailing out tens of thousands of testing kits and counting them. Now on the last day of this month we miraculously hit the 200K target by shifting it to testing capacity.

chiefdave

Todays daily briefing is a complete mess.

On how to identify if a track and trace call is genuine the advice from Harris was ‘It will be very obvious. These are professionally trained individuals. It will be evident from how they speak.". Schools fine to open up but she says play parks are a no go because "'multiple different families all in one go, children climbing up slides, wiping their nose not a good place to be". Talking about the relaxation of restrictions she said people should "minimise the freedoms that are there to ensure that we can come out of the pandemic"

It's pretty clear the experts don't agree with the actions of the government.

After a couple of days of them not being allowed to answer questions or even being there at all we had Van Tam yesterday saying "In my opinion the rules are clear and they have always been clear. They are for the benefit of all and they apply to all.". Now today we have Harris saying "They are all rules for all of us. It's important we all follow them to the best of our ability. For me, it's a matter of personal and professional integrity"

chiefdave

But they only did 115k tests yesterday. Matt Hancock said they could have done 200k though.
For the 9th day in a row no figure available for the number of people tested. Now gone from blaming a technical error to saying its been paused to ensure consistent reporting.

Is that government speak for trying to find a way to fix the figures so they look less embarrassing?

hill83

They really are treating people like complete idiots. First it was number of people tested, then it changed to tests and now its changed to testing capacity.

They've even hit the 100K people a day target they initially set. Fudged it on the last day of the month by mailing out tens of thousands of testing kits and counting them. Now on the last day of this month we miraculously hit the 200K target by shifting it to testing capacity.

Just be positive m8 u r lovin this m8

Users who are viewing this thread