Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (59 Viewers)

David O'Day

I wouldn't send mine in if family members were vulnerable. Mine can't wait to get back to school and as I understand it only 2% of CV deaths have been people under 49 years old, so I'm happy with the risk.
But as there is a good chance the are asymptomatic carriers they will infect people who infect other people.

At the moment there is just not the science to say opening schools at this stage is safe

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Then the one with vulnerable family members doesn't go back. The one with non vulnerable does.

That's not a snarky tone I'm typing in btw. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's a fair enough comment.
I just think we should hold of for now until we know more.
As others have said, the last term is a doss for many pupils anyway.

TomRad85

It's a fair enough comment.
I just think we should hold of for now until we know more.
As others have said, the last term is a doss for many pupils anyway.
I tend to agree and I'm not gonna argue on this one, just think maybe it's not as dangerous as people are making out as long as the famous 'common sense' is applied. Like if you're a mother going through chemo as an example, probably don't send your kid to school.

hill83

I tend to agree and I'm not gonna argue on this one, just think maybe it's not as dangerous as people are making out as long as the famous 'common sense' is applied. Like if you're a mother going through chemo as an example, probably don't send your kid to school.

I'm in the office right now. Bloke I am handing my shift over to at 6pm is type 2 diabetic. We have to be in the same office at some point.
My 4 year old goes to school and another kid coughs directly in his face because 4 and 5 year olds are dickheads. Brings it home. I don't want to catch it. I want to continue working.
There is no answer, but keep them at home if a family member is vulnerable isn't enough really.

Of course all this could still be the same in September, but the more information we can gather the better and June feels like it's rushing it. So for me the 'common sense' bit is telling me, he's not going in to school.

hill83

I'll be going from being near a maximum of 2 people overall, including the office where we have body heat temperature scanners in reception and the place is sprayed down and cleaned every 3 days, to potentially loads of people indirectly. A petri dish legging it around my house chasing me and trying to lick me because he knows I find it annoying.

TomRad85

I'm in the office right now. Bloke I am handing my shift over to at 6pm is type 2 diabetic. We have to be in the same office at some point.
My 4 year old goes to school and another kid coughs directly in his face because 4 and 5 year olds are dickheads. Brings it home. I don't want to catch it. I want to continue working.
There is no answer, but keep them at home if a family member is vulnerable isn't enough really.

Of course all this could still be the same in September, but the more information we can gather the better and June feels like it's rushing it. So for me the 'common sense' bit is telling me, he's not going in to school.
I think the real question is does that bloke have to be in the office? Can he not work from home?

hill83

I think the real question is does that bloke have to be in the office? Can he not work from home?

We can work from home within reason but there are things (servers/networks etc) that we need to be in for. His doctor and the bosses at work have deemed the office safe. Pharmaceutical company so they are on the ball.

Although I have been working from home 50% of the time and prefer it, so might send the lad to school.

NorthernWisdom

Some have to be in, of course.

My issue is first with the word 'safe'. I'm not sure that's helpful as there's risk with anything and, ultimately, I'm comfortable witha certain level of risk coming with life. The ceiling could fall in on me while I'm wfh, after all! However, I'd be a lot more comfortable if I saw what was a coherent plan and, perhaps more importantly, a sustainable plan going forward. At the moment it feels like we're rushing for the sake of it, and we'll end up with a staccato in-out movement where things open, only to be closed down again.

Personally, I'd be announcing the plan before the date, whereas we seem to be doing it the other way round.

And as for schools, as I said before, the planning for re-opening for, what apears to be a rather short space of time before they break up again anyway, seems pointless and also takes away teachers' time from planning better online lessons... which might still need to happen anyway, if they end up not opening after all (which I can see being the case when it comes to it).

So all in all it seems a bit headless chicken, and that's when it seems unsafe.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, it may well not be as dangerous. But the date got plucked out of the air without enough evidence to justify it, particularly biologically. I think a few days in July for the senior classes would be fair

fernandopartridge

EDIT, forget it

fernandopartridge

No it isn't - the question here is about whether it's wise, when there are still high numbers of infected people out in the community, to rebuild a web of links between them and non-infected people through schoolkids going back to school. Why is there an arbitrary date rather than a threshold?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Some have to be in, of course.

My issue is first with the word 'safe'. I'm not sure that's helpful as there's risk with anything and, ultimately, I'm comfortable witha certain level of risk coming with life. The ceiling could fall in on me while I'm wfh, after all! However, I'd be a lot more comfortable if I saw what was a coherent plan and, perhaps more importantly, a sustainable plan going forward. At the moment it feels like we're rushing for the sake of it, and we'll end up with a staccato in-out movement where things open, only to be closed down again.

Personally, I'd be announcing the plan before the date, whereas we seem to be doing it the other way round.

And as for schools, as I said before, the planning for re-opening for, what apears to be a rather short space of time before they break up again anyway, seems pointless and also takes away teachers' time from planning better online lessons... which might still need to happen anyway, if they end up not opening after all (which I can see being the case when it comes to it).

So all in all it seems a bit headless chicken, and that's when it seems unsafe.
Certainly not defending the generally shambolic approach but how does our schools re-opening plan differ to Germany, Spain etc?

shmmeee

Certainly not defending the generally shambolic approach but how does our schools re-opening plan differ to Germany, Spain etc?

One problem is we have one of the highest primary school class sizes in the western world IIRC. Knowing my kids school I have doubts they can safely hold all the kids at once.

The big one is we are about the only developed nation on the planet without a working track and trace system in place.

And of course our deaths and case numbers are still high in comparison.

Mostly though I think it comes down to trust. I had a conversation with my ex and we decided both our kids are staying off until September if possible just because we don’t trust that the government is handling this as well as they claim. And when it comes to your kids it’s always safe over sorry.

MusicDating

One problem is we have one of the highest primary school class sizes in the western world IIRC. Knowing my kids school I have doubts they can safely hold all the kids at once.

The big one is we are about the only developed nation on the planet without a working track and trace system in place.

Mostly though I think it comes down to trust. I had a conversation with my ex and we decided both our kids are staying off until September if possible just because we don’t trust that the government is handling this as well as they claim. And when it comes to your kids it’s always safe over sorry.
Ah, my trust is in the school and not the Govt. Our school is able to limit class sizes to 15 (not sure if they'll be able to do that if more classes go back, but we'll see) and the head has sent out a very detailed letter explaining their cleaning/distancing rules.

skybluetony176

I know in Denmark there’s a legal requirement that class sizes aren’t bigger than 28 and the average across the country is below 20. I’m talking about in general under normal circumstances here too, this isn’t how they’re dealing with getting schools back following lockdown. They don’t start school until 5/6 years of age either so the kids are just that little bit older and better at taking instruction in the lowest year as well as their schools are less crowded. Was watching something on the news about it last night and because they got a grip on this in the first place when they had two weeks head start like us they’ve got their R rate to the point where the schools are pretty much back to normal as is everything else in Danish life.

TomRad85

No it isn't - the question here is about whether it's wise, when there are still high numbers of infected people out in the community, to rebuild a web of links between them and non-infected people through schoolkids going back to school. Why is there an arbitrary date rather than a threshold?
Probably not no, most people from what I would gather would rather not so it's not even a good move in terms of looking good to their own voter base.
My point was, IF it happened I personally don't see it causing quite the armageddon that's being chatted about, certainly can't be worse than the scenes I still see in supermarkets all the time. Also is there not data to suggest children are both less likely to catch and less likely to spread? (Forgive me if that's wrong.)
What I was saying to Hill was a separate point. If Hill thinks his colleague is at risk the company should be protecting him, giving him tasks that can all be performed at home etc...

skybluetony176

Ah, my trust is in the school and not the Govt. Our school is able to limit class sizes to 15 (not sure if they'll be able to do that if more classes go back, but we'll see) and the head has sent out a very detailed letter explaining their cleaning/distancing rules.
Is your school planning on going back full time with normal class sizes? My youngest’s has said 3 short days every other week, 10 to a class room and only allowed to leave their desk for toilet breaks, no play times and lunch at their desks.

shmmeee

Our school sent out no information on how it would work, said they knew no more than us having watched the briefing, and were very clear that parents who choose not to send kids back won’t be punished. None of which filled us with confidence.

Last edited:

MusicDating

Is your school planning on going back full time with normal class sizes? My youngest’s has said 3 short days every other week, 10 to a class room and only allowed to leave their desk for toilet breaks, no play times and lunch at their desks.
Full time but max class size of 15. Cordoned play area to limit groups and about 30 other rules and regs. It'll be interesting to see how many are there first day and then how many sack it off if they feel they aren't learning / it's like prison.

hill83

How long before people say Sturgeon is copying Bozza

Edit: Just announced she will be relaxing lockdown restrictions

skybluetony176

Full time but max class size of 15. Cordoned play area to limit groups and about 30 other rules and regs. It'll be interesting to see how many are there first day and then how many sack it off if they feel they aren't learning / it's like prison.
It’s amazing how much it differs. Not sure if it’s council to council or school to school. My eldest is in High School but not one of the years going back so I can’t answer that one. I’ve distinctly got the impression from my youngest’s school that they don’t want them back. We’ve advised them that we’re not sending my youngest back as my wife needs to shield and they almost seemed relieved. I think even if my wife wasn’t shielding I wouldn’t be happy sending mine back full time as you’re expected too but that’s just me, I’m not judging anyone who feels different. Your kids your decision. I think the schools and government needs to see it that way also. At least until we understand child to child transmission and then child to adult transmission better. Can’t help but feel that these first waves of children going back are lab rats.

Last edited:

wingy

Probably not no, most people from what I would gather would rather not so it's not even a good move in terms of looking good to their own voter base.
My point was, IF it happened I personally don't see it causing quite the armageddon that's being chatted about, certainly can't be worse than the scenes I still see in supermarkets all the time. Also is there not data to suggest children are both less likely to catch and less likely to spread? (Forgive me if that's wrong.)
What I was saying to Hill was a separate point. If Hill thinks his colleague is at risk the company should be protecting him, giving him tasks that can all be performed at home etc...

Think it's wrong Tom .
Trying to find Sky news Adam Boulton piece from around 30 mins ago .
Analysing some ONS study .
Gist of that I could take away was that just about every differential measure between each demographic appears innacurate.
Kid's seemed as prone to catch it as adults
I feel like I'm misinterpreting it though .
Might need to be accumulating other groups.

TomRad85

Think it's wrong Tom .
Trying to find Sky news Adam Boulton piece from around 30 mins ago .
Analysing some ONS study .
Gist of that I could take away was that just about every differential measure between each demographic appears innacurate.
Kid's seemed as prone to catch it as adults
I feel like I'm misinterpreting it though .
Might need to be accumulating other groups.
Fair, if you find a link to a credible article post it in here. Would be interested to have a read.
I guess these studies change almost daily at the moment though tbf.

NorthernWisdom

Fair, if you find a link to a credible article post it in here. Would be interested to have a read.
I guess these studies change almost daily at the moment though tbf.

They do, and that's also a reason why not to act in haste, potentially. I was sympathetic to the government at the very beginning of this because jumping isn't always the right thing to do - but now they seem to be jumping just about everywhere.

chiefdave

Users who are viewing this thread