Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (24 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

My Mrs works as a nurse at UHCW, from things she tells me you shouldn't underestimate the poor decisions that get made by senior management. Of course you could argue that ultimately this all leads back to the Government, but these managers do need to take some responsibility. Again from what she tells me there was a real reluctance to test people, now whether this was down to a lack of testing availability or wanting to keep the numbers down, and people out of the Covid wards, I don't know. Maybe a mixture of everything.

Senior management in the hospitals work on direction of the commissioning guidance they'll be getting from the centre, i.e. NHS England who in turn will be working to the Minister.

chiefdave

As much as I don't rate Johnson, I don't like the idea of a single fall guy. The entire government are on the hook for it, it wasn't the work of a single rogue.
No chance of it working like that. At most you'll get 2 or 3 people in the government. Any other blame will be pushed down the chain. Hancock will likely be the first to go, and then Johnson and then the government will make out the rest of them had nothing to do with it.

fernandopartridge

Not good news.

I
f we’ve had 50k excess deaths and are at 5% also, that’s potentially 1m excess deaths if everyone just gets it. In reality it’d be more like maybe 5-600k as we hit herd immunity, but still.

Yea - does that take into account that the 5% who got it possibly contained some of the people at highest risk in any case? The other thing is that both France and Spain had more stringent lockdowns than the UK, our spread is possibly greater than theirs.

It is rather unsettling though I must say.

fernandopartridge

The stark reality is that the Tories were prepared to allow 600k people to die and it was the basis of their strategy. You can't help but think we'll get to somewhere around 25% of that.

Brylowes

The stark reality is that the Tories were prepared to allow 600k people to die and it was the basis of their strategy. You can't help but think we'll get to somewhere around 25% of that.
It should have been a Lockdown of the same proportion as France etc but Boris and the
Government would argue their soft approach to Lockdown was all about trying to protect
the economy from collapse.
As far as I can make out it’s cost thousands more lives than was ever necessary, and as
far as the economy Is concerned ‘it now looks likely we’ll be in and out of lockdown more
often than a Morris dancer doing the Hokey Pokey.

shmmeee

Yea - does that take into account that the 5% who got it possibly contained some of the people at highest risk in any case? The other thing is that both France and Spain had more stringent lockdowns than the UK, our spread is possibly greater than theirs.

It is rather unsettling though I must say.

That’s fair. Haven’t over half our deaths been in care homes? So probably does skew older. Also we may have had more infected.

Point about us not being as far through as some hoped stands mind.

PVA

Grendel and Dom can't still think the government is doing a good job, can they?

It gets worse by the day, as more and more details come out.

We all knew it was bad, but I don't think any of us thought it was this bad.

Flying Fokker

It should have been a Lockdown of the same proportion as France etc but Boris and the
Government would argue their soft approach to Lockdown was all about trying to protect
the economy from collapse.
As far as I can make out it’s cost thousands more lives than was ever necessary, and as
far as the economy Is concerned ‘it now looks likely we’ll be in and out of lockdown more
often than a Morris dancer doing the Hokey Pokey.
Well that worked. I don’t think anyone knew what was happening really.

skybluetony176

I think their absence says it all. The deliberate poisoning of care homes seems too much for even them to try and defend or deflect from.

Reactions: PVA

Flying Fokker

My Mrs works as a nurse at UHCW, from things she tells me you shouldn't underestimate the poor decisions that get made by senior management. Of course you could argue that ultimately this all leads back to the Government, but these managers do need to take some responsibility. Again from what she tells me there was a real reluctance to test people, now whether this was down to a lack of testing availability or wanting to keep the numbers down, and people out of the Covid wards, I don't know. Maybe a mixture of everything.
Ah ha , Good points. If nobody is tested we will never know how many have got it..

Flying Fokker

General Question...if you were a local authority at the start of a pandemic what would you do first?

It’s all a bit academic now but I’m interested to know if anyone had a plan in mind at the start of this.

SkyBlueDom26

Living in ya head rent free, give it a rest constantly bringing up my name

SkyBlueDom26

This is great news, just hope we don’t take months to get them out..... this could be the game changer to see if most of us had it around Christmas

Attachments

• 4E9EC320-E5BC-4D2E-AFE7-727C908D8F34.png
    4E9EC320-E5BC-4D2E-AFE7-727C908D8F34.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

PVA

Living in ya head rent free, give it a rest constantly bringing up my name

Living in your head rent free

A phrase used exclusively by weirdos and 15 year olds

So do you still think they're doing a good job or not?

Do you accept they are to blame for the care home crisis?

Terry Gibson's perm

This is great news, just hope we don’t take months to get them out..... this could be the game changer to see if most of us had it around Christmas

Normal people will be way down the list MPs and their families will be right at the top, followed by celebrities.

clint van damme

You've posted this bollocks on numerous occasions.
In the mean time we have the second most deaths in the world and second most deaths among health workers.

David O'Day

It was approved by the eu at the start of the month. Slow as fuck yet again

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

I think that's the same test I read about previously so if it's getting widespread approval that feels like at least a shuffle forward if not a huge step. Considering some minister said the other month they'd have tests ready to order from pharmacies and Amazon within weeks though I'm not getting too excited until they're widely available (if they ever are)

David O'Day

I think that's the same test I read about previously so if it's getting widespread approval that feels like at least a shuffle forward if not a huge step. Considering some minister said the other month they'd have tests ready to order from pharmacies and Amazon within weeks though I'm not getting too excited until they're widely available (if they ever are)
Hancock ordered 3000000 of the last ones that didn't work

David O'Day

It's also pretty shoddy that the government promised local authorities all the funding they needed to deal with the pandemic but now seem to be backing out of it leaving billions of black holes in council budgets

Users who are viewing this thread