Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (52 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Astute

From the 4th May things will start to reopen gradulally, so any hint that things are going badly and the restrictions will return. We are able to travel unrestricted within our own regions' from the 4th, which means that a weekend at the in-laws has already been planned....
Enjoy. They will have plenty of lockdown stories for you to enjoy

Astute

We are still fully open, even for the non essential work streams. Lots of other non essential business/production are remaining open.
Where do you work?
I make bog rolls for a living. We also make Kleenex here.

My job is very important because if we didn't work nobody would be able to stockpile five years worth of bog rolls.....

Grendel

Many companies seem to be starting up production in May

Grendel

skybluetony176

Yet to stop working myself aside from 2 weeks self isolating due to one of the kids showing symptoms. I think this has been pretty common for smaller manufacturing companies where social distancing measures are feasible. Certainly in my experience.

CCFCSteve

Surely makes developing a vaccine more difficult also. Like you say, bad news.

Yeah, that’s my understanding as well (I heard witty mention it early doors)....potentially awful news if assessment true/accurate

Fingers crossed its wrong and a majority will be immune, if not, as BSB says, there will be an even greater focus/reliance on managing the virus better (which I’m pretty sure scientists will make decent progress on in the coming weeks and months....until then stock up on domestos !)

skybluetony176

Yeah, that’s my understanding as well (I heard witty mention it early doors)....potentially awful news if assessment true/accurate

Fingers crossed its wrong and a majority will be immune, if not, as BSB says, there will be an even greater focus/reliance on managing the virus better (which I’m pretty sure scientists will make decent progress on in the coming weeks and months....until then stock up on domestos !)
There was an interesting interview on news night the other day with one of the growing number of Swedish scientists who are saying that the Swedish government has got it wrong. Basically they’re saying that they’ve got it wrong for the very reason you point out, managing the virus through treatment rather than cure. The train of thought being that if you can delay people getting it if only for two weeks the simple fact is that they will have a better chance of survival than they would if they’d caught it 2 weeks earlier because there’s a further 2 weeks knowledge on dealing and managing with the virus in infected people.

skybluetony176

The way it mutates so quickly makes finding a long-term effective vaccine seem very difficult atm.
Same reason as the "normal" flu vaccine varies from year to year and people are advised to have a new jab each year
I don’t think it’s purely mutation as antibodies do die of over a period of time but mutation certainly is a factor. The flu jab is always based on the previous seasons strain.This virus does seem more resilient than your average flu virus though and it’s ability to mutate quickly I would think is part of that.

CCFCSteve

There was an interesting interview on news night the other day with one of the growing number of Swedish scientists who are saying that the Swedish government has got it wrong. Basically they’re saying that they’ve got it wrong for the very reason you point out, managing the virus through treatment rather than cure. The train of thought being that if you can delay people getting it if only for two weeks the simple fact is that they will have a better chance of survival than they would if they’d caught it 2 weeks earlier because there’s a further 2 weeks knowledge on dealing and managing with the virus in infected people.

That’s a good/fair point. It’s even more relevant if you get don’t immunity through contagion. I suppose it’s one to see how it plays out.

shmmeee

I don’t think it’s purely mutation as antibodies do die of over a period of time but mutation certainly is a factor. The flu jab is always based on the previous seasons strain.This virus does seem more resilient than your average flu virus though and it’s ability to mutate quickly I would think is part of that.

My understanding was the flu jab was the top three or so predicted strains for that year. Could be wrong though.

chiefdave

More details of SAGE coming out and its not looking good. Government claiming Cummings and Warner were observers. Ignoring that if they should be attending in that capacity is up for debate other present at the meeting are disputing it and saying they were active participants. That's bad enough but its also being reported the chief scientific advisers from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were only allowed to observe and not participate.

I know some people were criticising 'lefties' for questioning the follow the science line when our science seemed to differ from every other country but even they must admit this is worrying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread