Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (43 Viewers)

David O'Day

This interview is quite troubling. The interviewee is an expert in contagious disease and wrote a book a few years ago predicting this virus.

Amongst other things, he reckons we haven't seen anything yet and as soon as the Chinese people come out of isolation the virus wil sky rocket again, so their apparent recovery is misleading.

It's believed to be 10-15 times deadlier than the flu amongst experts.

Estimates of around 500,000 deaths in the coming months.

Hand sanitisers probably don't work to prevent this virus. Breathing is all it takes to get infected.

This interview is quite troubling. The interviewee is an expert in contagious disease and wrote a book a few years ago predicting this virus.

Amongst other things, he reckons we haven't seen anything yet and as soon as the Chinese people come out of isolation the virus wil sky rocket again, so their apparent recovery is misleading.

It's believed to be 10-15 times deadlier than the flu amongst experts.

Estimates of around 500,000 deaths in the coming months.

Hand sanitisers probably don't work to prevent this virus. Breathing is all it takes to get infected.

In Britain or worldwide?

Lads he said similar things prior to the 2009 flu pandemic.

Flying Fokker

Callum Hudson-Odoi now confirmed and Chelsea are in isolation as a result. Talk that this morning they may well cancel all Premier games this weekend.
I
I’m gif guy

Edit; I think you meant to say you’ve not noticed me on here but you said you have noticed me mate.

You have though really
He ignored you very early on and the accidentally switched you on?

David O'Day

I'm done with you confirmation bias seeking cunts.

The best bit was the gahd sanitiser doesn't work good lads fuckimg gold

PVA

I think the season is done, can't see any more games being played (maybe this weekend might still go ahead, but that'll be it).

Now it's just a case of whether they void it or not. Either way lots of clubs are probably going to launch legal action, could get messy.

Where's the evidence we are heading for an italy type situation. The very plan is to stop that

Yeah, by doing nothing. It's a disgraceful reaction from the government and it's going to cost lives.

skybluesam66

With so many footballers claiming to have it the maths tells you we are already into the several thousand cases of infection irrespective of the published numbers

Sky Blue Pete

I think the season is done, can't see any more games being played (maybe this weekend might still go ahead, but that'll be it).

Now it's just a case of whether they void it or not. Either way lots of clubs are probably going to launch legal action, could get messy.

Yeah, by doing nothing. It's a disgraceful reaction from the government and it's going to cost lives.
Or save them long term as we will have herd immunity. They’ve explained why. And it wasn’t Bojo making the decisions!!

skybluesam66

Would you believe it Otis??

An Examination of British Sport Security Strategies, Legislation, and Risk Management Practices

very little about business continuity and certainly nothing in the efl guidance. This is as close as a business continuity plan for football. I think the reality is that one one has even considered this situation or any situation that means a whole league has to finish before it’s finished
Find that odd. Every contract my company had contains a force majeure clause

Flying Fokker

1000 involved in the premier league. Probably 5-10 cases we know of. That is a high percentage.
If 0.5 to 1.0 % is high

They do have a lot of time on their hands and travel a bit with their jobs and social life. But is this different to people who go to worship or bingo? They are probably at more risk but have a better outcome than Vera at the bingo.

PVA

Or save them long term as we will have herd immunity. They’ve explained why. And it wasn’t Bojo making the decisions!!

The fact we are the only ones going down this route scares me. Do we know better than everyone else? I doubt it.

ES8erMEWsAA35u-

David O'Day

The fact we are the only ones going down this route scares me. Do we know better than everyone else? I doubt it.

ES8erMEWsAA35u-
No we know better the situation in the uk, they gave said further measures will be bought in but need to be brought in at the right time

theferret

As I saw somebody say yesterday, people only appear to like experts if they confirm what they think they already know.

The reasoning for the government's position was laid out quite clearly. It is not a do nothing policy at all. It's about timing and flattening the peak.

David O'Day

Are you a doctor?
What does that have to do with the widely evidence that the SARS-CoV-2 pathogen is killed by 60% alcohol hand sanitiser? This an e ample of confirmation bias, even when the vast majority of evidence shows one thing people will seek out opinions that back up their own preconceived notions.

The doctors at phe and the cdc disagree with him

Sky Blue Pete

As I saw somebody say yesterday, people only appear to like experts if they confirm what they think they already know.

The reasoning for the government's position was laid out quite clearly. It is not a do nothing policy at all. It's about timing and flattening the peak.
You are bang on ferret

PVA

But flattening the peak comes with putting in measures early, not allowing it to spread unchecked.

Skybluefaz

What does that have to do with the widely evidence that the SARS-CoV-2 pathogen is killed by 60% alcohol hand sanitiser? This an e ample of confirmation bias, even when the vast majority of evidence shows one thing people will seek out opinions that back up their own preconceived notions.

The doctors at phe and the cdc disagree with him
Not disputing that, just wondering what qualifies you to shoot everyone else down. What medical training do you have then?

theferret

But flattening the peak comes with putting in measures early, not allowing it to spread unchecked.

But they are not. What they are saying is that large gatherings, closing schools etc. will have a negligible effect on the rate of spread (I defer to their knowledge which will be based on modelling that I cannot possibly have an informed view on). The best weapon we have is early self-isolation - so that is the focus and what they are pushing. It was a message not pushed early enough in Italy and/or was ignored. Whether people ignore that message here remains to be seen.

shmmeee

But they are not. What they are saying is that large gatherings, closing schools etc. will have a negligible effect on the rate of spread (I defer to their knowledge which will be based on modelling that I cannot possibly have an informed view on). The best weapon we have is early self-isolation - so that is the focus and what they are pushing. It was a message not pushed early enough in Italy and/or was ignored. Whether people ignore that message here remains to be seen.

Doesn't explain why our models are different to everyone else in the worlds. And spare me the Bulldog Spirit “they’re the best innit”.

Reactions: PVA

SeaSeeEffCee

Dan Roan from the BBC reporting that EFL will follow the Prem’s lead so expect the Shrewsbury game to be postponed later today.

David O'Day

Not disputing that, just wondering what qualifies you to shoot everyone else down. What medical training do you have then?
I'm not trying to shoot people down, I'm just commenting on best available evidence. It's dangerous for people to claim unchecked that hand sanitizer doesn't work.

David O'Day

No it doesn't involves putting the measures in at the most effective time. Studies into the 1918 pandemic show that putting forced measures could in fact to more deaths due to fatigue in the measures.

theferret

Doesn't explain why our models are different to everyone else in the worlds. And spare me the Bulldog Spirit “they’re the best innit”.

Well, it has nothing to do with Bulldog Spirit to acknowledge that some of the world's leading virologists are based here.

Anyway, the key difference it seems is that our scientists are also referencing the behavioural science, saying that as we are up to 14 weeks away from the peak - imposing draconian measures now would be a mistake - because if you shut everything down now (which is a big step to take) people go with it for a few weeks, but may not have the stamina to continue with that for months potentially, and by the time the peak comes around (when the shutdowns might be needed) people will have had enough and might potentially ignore advice at that point. That is my understanding, but again, I defer to them on that because I cannot prove or disprove any of it. I'm not saying I am right, but I'm just trying to understand their position.

Users who are viewing this thread