Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (77 Viewers)

clint van damme

This cabinet were chosen based on their Brexit stance and not on their capabilities, so we're in a little bit of a pickle now.

The thing is we can't expect to see Johnson back anytime soon.
Hopefully he'll be out of ICU ASAP but he's still going to need a fair few weeks convalesence so this isn't going to be a short term thing.
Someone is going to have to manage this through it's crucial stages and make the big call regarding end of lockdown.

Otis

Hopefully he'll be out of ICU ASAP but he's still going to need a fair few weeks convalesence so this isn't going to be a short term thing.
Someone is going to have to manage this through it's crucial stages and make the big call regarding end of lockdown.
Can't our Donald pop over?

David O'Day

Yeah Dominic "Dover" Raab

Philosorapter

I think the figure everyone's going by are the tip of the iceberg.

Not everyone who has the flu or other symptoms are going to contact the doctor but will just self-isolate until they are well enough again or things get to the point where they need medical assistance.

There may be a good chance the figures could just be showing the top eschelons of when help is needed and not the full impact of the virus is having on society in general or in most cases.

Feeling better by the way after a few grotty days of flu etc but that could just be the almighty hangover from the vodka.

Ring Of Steel

Oh dear, its always the 'experts' like yourself that think they know best

there’s a video of Raab in interviews doing the rounds, you should make the effort to find it. He doesn’t think foodbanks are caused by poverty as opposed to just ‘temporary cashflow issues’, he thinks funding the NHS is childish etc, this is not a man for leading all elements of society through a crisis.

this government was put together for brexit and things like that, as we are seeing all too vividly they have no idea whatsoever how to actually lead or protect their citizens.

djr8369

Its just called getting behind someone who's trying to lead our country through this terrible time, should try it instead of making petty comments like that

What does "getting behind" them even mean, in this context?

It's not like supporting the city at a game you know. They can't see or hear you getting behind them.

CCFCSteve

Not sure lockdown is ending any time soon unfortunately Clint. I’m guessing measures might start to be relaxed in coming weeks (mid/late May ?)

There will be pressure on the government to relax them sooner but hopefully whoever’s in charge will follow the scientific/medical advice. That’s all we can ask for.

ps I know some might disagree with me but I think we can see (or at least appreciate) on the behavioural science side of things, why there was a want/need to leave the lockdown until as late as possible in order to get maximum benefit and minimise it’s negative impacts. Domestic violence up 25%, kids being kept out of school away from their friends, economic impact for millions (which is likely to have subsequent impact on health) and increased anxiety/depression will no doubt be another major symptom. Comments about the government and their advisors ‘dithering’ etc when making the original decision (not you Clint) need to consider the bigger, wider picture. Every decision made will have positive and negative impacts elsewhere. It’s trying to make sure even if there are negative implications, the positives outweigh them

Ring Of Steel

I think the figure everyone's going by are the tip of the iceberg.

Not everyone who has the flu or other symptoms are going to contact the doctor but will just self-isolate until they are well enough again or things get to the point where they need medical assistance.

There may be a good chance the figures could just be showing the top eschelons of when help is needed and not the full impact of the virus is having on society in general or in most cases.

Feeling better by the way after a few grotty days of flu etc but that could just be the almighty hangover from the vodka.

glad you’re feeling better :)

PVA

Oh dear, its always the 'experts' like yourself that think they know best

No it's pretty obvious that the cabinet was chosen based on their Brexit stance. Whether you think they are any good or not, that's up to you. But they got their cabinet jobs based on their Brexit stance.

Our Home Secretary was all but sacked for secret meetings with foreign officials, and willing to funnel our money into a foreign army.

But she likes Brexit so now she's Home Secretary.

SkyBlueDom26

Not sure lockdown is ending any time soon unfortunately Clint. I’m guessing measures might start to be relaxed in coming weeks (mid/late May ?)

There will be pressure on the government to relax them sooner but hopefully whoever’s in charge will follow the scientific/medical advice. That’s all we can ask for.

ps I know some might disagree with me but I think we can see (or at least appreciate) on the behavioural science side of things, why there was a want/need to leave the lockdown until as late as possible in order to get maximum benefit and minimise it’s negative impacts. Domestic violence up 25%, kids being kept out of school away from their friends, economic impact for millions (which is likely to have subsequent impact on health) and increased anxiety/depression will no doubt be another major symptom. Comments about the government and their advisors ‘dithering’ etc when making the original decision (not you Clint) need to consider the bigger, wider picture. Every decision made will have positive and negative impacts elsewhere. It’s trying to make sure even if there are negative implications, the positives outweigh them

Yeah deffo, like Whitty said we just need to make sure we've got over the peak and are consistently on the way down....then i think it will be on and off lockdowns if we get more waves until the vaccine is ready with restrictions slowly lifted in the weeks to come.....

Can see pubs being one of the last things to be opened like

Ring Of Steel

your points would carry more weight had the govt not continually contradicted themselves and been caught out lying. They changed their entire strategy based on the findings of the Cambridge study, the delay may well have benefits for all any of us know, but it was based on having a terrible plan, having it pointed out to them that it would kill hundreds of thousands and having to U turn.

skybluetony176

Its just called getting behind someone who's trying to lead our country through this terrible time, should try it instead of making petty comments like that
You’ve put your faith in a man who against all the advice of experts went and shook hands with people suffering from Coronavirus, that man you’ve put your faith in is now seriously ill in hospital. He’s an ignoramus who looks like Einstein compared to Rabb and you’re now putting your faith in someone who out Diane Abbott’s the PM who is the Tories Diane Abbott.

Skybluefaz

It's not football, you can't simply expect the country to support someone who has so vividly displayed he couldn't give a flip about the working classes and vulnerable people and has a ridiculous lack of knowledge to go along with it. This isn't just bad mouthing the guy. You can hear it come out of his mouth in the link I posted.

djr8369

The first stage of lockdown ending is likely to be sections of society going back to work to get some of the economy going, while social activities will still be banned, which I think will disappoint a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread