Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (45 Viewers)

Otis

Personally I'm not going to be racing to the pub or any other crowded place the minute they announce the removal of restrictions. Will be keeping contact to a minimum for a few more weeks and see how things are going.
Sensible. I intend to do exactly the same.

Wish I could get that through to my 90 yr old dad though.

I just rang him to see what food he wants and he told me he went shopping himself this morning.

Last edited:

Grendel

Personally I'm not going to be racing to the pub or any other crowded place the minute they announce the removal of restrictions. Will be keeping contact to a minimum for a few more weeks and see how things are going.

My pub is well ahead on social distancing - no one goes in it anyway

Grendel

Just below Belarus, who don’t even believe it’s a problem, sums it up. Clowns, liars, idiots and charlatans in charge which is why our ‘handling’ has been so abject. Anyone heard anything about Boris or received his letter yet? I guess at least the queen can reassure us all on TV soon enough.

France?

hill83

Straight to the boozer. Beastie boys already called the attire.

giphy.gif

clint van damme

We havent actually been told which. I had an email yesterday saying hr will be contacting us individually in the next couple of weeks to let us know if we are or not. But I check my wageslip online on a Tuesday and the hours we've been off so far are there as standown/banked hours. 70 hours think I owe them atm. It's a bit cuntish of the company to make us work them all back if we're on furlough. They'll try anything these days though to rinse more out of us.

I don't think they can make you work the. Back if you're furloughed. I've been sent a list of rules about it by my company and it seems the company are not allowed to profit from it in any way which they would be if they make you bank your hours.

I'm no expert but that's how I interpreted it

Johnnythespider

I don't know anyone that's agency so I cant really find out. Hopefully the company havent shit on them. Hopefully it does cover those that aren't on permanent contracts. Funny thing is,people seem to think I'm being paid just to sit on my arse for a couple of months. We've got to pay these hours back to the company be it 50 hours or 150..
We've managed to fend off banked hours twice in the last 3 yrs, union membership doubled the first time it was raised, there was 100% opposition in the workforce. I expect it will get forced through at some point but i hate the idea

Ring Of Steel

I don't think they can make you work the. Back if you're furloughed. I've been sent a list of rules about it by my company and it seems the company are not allowed to profit from it in any way which they would be if they make you bank your hours.

I'm no expert but that's how I interpreted it

If you’re furloughed you’re ‘frozen’ for a minimum of 3 weeks, you can’t be made to bank hours. Company can’t profit from it and nor can the individual, you’re free to top up your income elsewhere but only to the same weekly income you would have had you not been furloughed. It sounds like quite a few places might be having very unpleasant visits from HMRC in the months ahead.

oscillatewildly

We havent actually been told which. I had an email yesterday saying hr will be contacting us individually in the next couple of weeks to let us know if we are or not. But I check my wageslip online on a Tuesday and the hours we've been off so far are there as standown/banked hours. 70 hours think I owe them atm. It's a bit cuntish of the company to make us work them all back if we're on furlough. They'll try anything these days though to rinse more out of us.
They furloughed us Monday afternoon - They're paying the 20% to make our pay 100% of base rate. So as of that point we should only be owing the company 20% of 'stand down' accrued.

clint van damme

If you’re furloughed you’re ‘frozen’ for a minimum of 3 weeks, you can’t be made to bank hours. Company can’t profit from it and nor can the individual, you’re free to top up your income elsewhere but only to the same weekly income you would have had you not been furloughed. It sounds like quite a few places might be having very unpleasant visits from HMRC in the months ahead.

That's how I read it.
I've been told I can't undertake any work for 3 weeks minimum.

oscillatewildly

Just below Belarus, who don’t even believe it’s a problem, sums it up. Clowns, liars, idiots and charlatans in charge which is why our ‘handling’ has been so abject. Anyone heard anything about Boris or received his letter yet? I guess at least the queen can reassure us all on TV soon enough.
I take it TOTP will follow straight after? That's how it usually works following the queens message, as I recall.

David O'Day

6 months on and off minimum unless they pull their fucking fingers out and start testing testing testing. Possibly a year.

Buckle up.

Unless a vaccine falls out of someone’s arse in 5 weeks.
Nowhere near a year. As was said today you could see loosening the next few weeks. Then they will look at the data in a few more weeks and loosen again if possible

hill83

Nowhere near a year. As was said today you could see loosening the next few weeks. Then they will look at the data in a few more weeks and loosen again if possible

It’s just a ‘reckon’. Stop myself getting to excited. Not actually based on anything.

Brylowes

Niall Ferguson said today we could see alifting on restrictions in 10 days when he thinks things could potentially start to plateau.
He did follow it up by saying as long as people keep following current social distancing guidelines. It could be a ruse to stop people taking the piss during the good weather of the next couple of days
If this comes to fruition I think it would be a clear case of ‘Economic need’ taking
Precedence over the ‘health of the nation’

Sick Boy

I think a few more weeks is optimistic and is a tactic to try and ensure the lockdown is properly respected. I reckon it’ll be mid May that the restrictions start being lifted here and back to work in the office by mid June.

Ring Of Steel

That's how I read it.
I've been told I can't undertake any work for 3 weeks minimum.

And the company cannot make you go on furlough either, if it’s not in your contract you have to agree with it. Not massively recommended to fight it though as if you do that you’ll get the inevitable “in that case I am informing you your position is at risk of being made redundant”..

HMRC will be all over this and nobody really knows how it will work yet as the govt are late in setting up the application portal.

but anyway no more HMRC talk. If I don’t get a haircut soon I’ll go mad, might let the wife loose with the clippers after I’ve had a few cans

David O'Day

I think a few more weeks is optimistic and is a tactic to try and ensure the lockdown is properly respected. I reckon it’ll be mid May that the restrictions start being lifted here and back to work in the office by mid June.
Take that prediction up with Professor Ferguson of imperial college

Brylowes

How anyone can still back this Government’s performance in this crisis is truly bewildering they chose the strategy Of (herd immunity) that went against all outside advice ‘including that of the World Health Organisation.
By the time they realised the error of their ways our fate was sealed, and any hope of an early lockdown lost.
They also had the geographical luxury of watching other Countries succumb to the
Virus ‘and the effects it had on their respective Health Services.

They failed to secure early’ the necessary PPE and medical equipment needed to fight the virus on its arrival.
Couple this with the chronic condition our NHS is in ‘even without this virus because of 10 years of Austerity driven cuts to equipment and frontline staff.
These are all things that could and no doubt would have been done differently under an alternative administration.
Bojo and crew despite having hourly briefing’s from experts in the field didn’t seem to have any idea of what was coming our way until about 2 1/2 weeks ago ‘where as any clued up man in the street has been seeing it much longer.

The Governments performance so far in this crisis has been every bit as ‘shambolic’ as it is ‘disastrous’ In fact it’s been so bad ‘that I’m still not entirely sure that it isn’t being done on purpose and that “Hurd Immunity” is in fact still the path being followed.

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

How anyone can still back this Government’s performance in this crisis is truly bewildering they chose the strategy Of (herd immunity) that went against all outside advice ‘including that of the World Health Organisation.
By the time they realised the error of their ways our fate was sealed, and any hope of an early lockdown lost.
They also had the geographical luxury of watching other Countries succumb to the
Virus ‘and the effects it had on their respective Health Services.

They failed to secure early’ the necessary PPE and medical equipment needed to fight the virus on its arrival.
Couple this with the chronic condition our NHS is in ‘even without this virus because of 10 years of Austerity driven cuts to equipment and frontline staff.
These are all things that could and no doubt would have been done differently under a alternative administration.
Bojo and crew despite having hourly briefing’s from experts in the field didn’t seem to have any idea of what was coming our way until about 2 1/2 weeks ago ‘where as any clued up man in the street has been seeing it much longer.

The Governments performance so far in this crisis has been every bit as ‘shambolic’ as it is ‘disastrous’ In fact it’s been so bad ‘that I’m still not entirely sure that it isn’t being done on purpose and that “Hurd Immunity” is in fact still the path being followed.
Can’t be arsed to post.

Users who are viewing this thread