Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (64 Viewers)

shmmeee

Having watched the video re: retention of germs on objects and hands, I do wonder about the plastic notes and the spread of germs on them. Said to my wife earlier that we ought to carry out all transactions by card (daft I know, but I suspect those notes pass stuff around!)

Not daft at all, it’s WHO advice: Stop touching cash! WHO officials warn that coronavirus can spread through handling money | Daily Mail Online

And also cause of a thousand conspiracy theories (they want to track your payments man)

theferret

I was based in Nantong for a while- about an hour from Shanghai I guess. Shanghai was like something from the future, opulence and neon and unlike any city I ever saw, made NY look like Nuneaton. Everything pristine and shining. Got to Nantong and went for a meal and they dumped a tray of skinned ducks on the floor right next to us waiting to get them into the kitchen, they were there for a good 20 mins. 10 mins after that saw the same things coming out the kitchen after having been chucked in a frier for a while- claws, beaks the lot all cooked up, and people were devouring them. These things had been chucked on the floor half an hour earlier. You could very, very easily see how a virus or nasty infection could consume the entire place very quickly with that type of stuff going on. In China you can drive for 1 hr and it feels like you've stepped back in time and into a completely different country.

Funny you should say that, I've attached a photo I took on my last visit there, plus another of a meat stall. This was in Hangzhou. Shanghai btw, what a place that is. If you ever go back, try the Spot Bar.

16114450_10154457529159022_3749965869948722635_n.jpg

Attachments

• 16114180_10154457530994022_1714045963408009012_n.jpg
    16114180_10154457530994022_1714045963408009012_n.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ricohroar

I'm not sure of the in's and outs's of the virus. However I've been told children carry it without too much worry of life threatening risks, unless they already have a medical condition. Most at risk are the elderly. Surly closing schools as they are in Ireland will mean most of these kids spend 2 weeks with grad parents as their parents work?

fernandopartridge

My wife works in a nursery and has been told she wouldn't get paid if they had to shut down for a period. To be honest, not being able to go to football games (much as I'd like to) isn't going to be my biggest concern.

That sounds a bit off because generally the nurseries will charge you even if your child doesn't attend.

Nick

Administrator
My wife works in a nursery and has been told she wouldn't get paid if they had to shut down for a period. To be honest, not being able to go to football games (much as I'd like to) isn't going to be my biggest concern.
She should go and sit outside all day and say she attended. Not her fault if they close.

Paxman II

It won't scupperour season but looks likely the next month could be played behind closed doors. Hopefully we will be back in the stadium to celebrate our promotion.

BornSlippySkyBlue

That sounds a bit off because generally the nurseries will charge you even if your child doesn't attend.
Would that be the case if your child couldn’t attend due to them not being open though? I know you have to pay regardless of attendance if it is just your child not there, but different if they’re closed, surely. Doubt they can legally charge you for a service they aren’t even providing.

Grendel

Which is perfectly legitimate. There are 5 million people in the UK who are self-employed. A lot will be living on the edge already - it's the nature of being self-employed, so it is perfectly reasonable for their financial well-being to be taken into account when deciding policy.

Also I suspect if the electrics went in your house you would want someone to fix it

D

Deleted member 4439

Shrewsbury on

Uefa to hold meeting on 17 March
Uefa statement on coronavirus: "In the light of the ongoing developments in the spread of COVID-19 across Europe and the changing analysis of the World Health Organisation, UEFA has today invited representatives of its 55 member associations, together with the boards of the European Club Association and the European Leagues and a representative of FIFPro, to attend meetings by videoconference on Tuesday 17 March to discuss European football’s response to the outbreak.

"Discussions will include all domestic and European competitions, including UEFA EURO 2020.

"Further communication will be made following those meetings."

Sport hit by coronavirus - latest updates

fernandopartridge

Shrewsbury on

Uefa to hold meeting on 17 March
Uefa statement on coronavirus: "In the light of the ongoing developments in the spread of COVID-19 across Europe and the changing analysis of the World Health Organisation, UEFA has today invited representatives of its 55 member associations, together with the boards of the European Club Association and the European Leagues and a representative of FIFPro, to attend meetings by videoconference on Tuesday 17 March to discuss European football’s response to the outbreak.

"Discussions will include all domestic and European competitions, including UEFA EURO 2020.

"Further communication will be made following those meetings."

Sport hit by coronavirus - latest updates

That doesn't suggest it's on or off tbh. Afaia the EFL doesn't need permission from the FA or UEFA to cancel fixtures

Otis

My dad was a butcher and I saw abattoirs in action- there is no way on earth the animals don't know or sense whats coming. Its the most horrific, horrible thing you could ever imagine and it stays with you, watching them try to escape. Thats why I don't eat meat. I've no issue with anyone else eating meat, I'm not a holier than thou type- but nope, not for me any more.
Same here

ajsccfc

Since I was ill, I've always used hand gel daily and have opened doors, etc with my hand in my sleeve, as I have seen how dirty people can be, not washing their hands after going to the toilet, etc. You see it all the time in footy grounds. It's almost as it the world is catching up with me.

There's a guy at work who always has hand gel and wipes with him and will completely disinfect and clean any keyboard and desk area he uses when hotdesking. Apparently he was a bit of a figure of fun for being too hygienic but suddenly he's everyone's role model

Nick

Administrator
How many of those before people will self isolate though?

A bit of a dry cough and aches and pains? (I assume aches and pains may be quite common for an athlete anyway).

jordan210

The amount of people in town centres walking around coughing without covering their mouth is crazy. You would think people might be slightly more aware of their actions at the moment. But nope

Hopefully we can get Saturday out the way and see what happens next week

Otis

Unless people are vegan I honestly don’t see the point on ethical grounds
We are talking 30 years ago, Grendel. I didn't even know what a vegan was back then.

Saw a documentary on abatoirs and the il treatment of animals and I stopped eating meat there and then. Never turned back.

Ring Of Steel

We are talking 30 years ago, Grendel. I didn't even know what a vegan was back then.

Saw a documentary on abatoirs and the il treatment of animals and I stopped eating meat there and then. Never turned back.

without meaning to be disrespectful, not many people set out in life aiming to work in an slaughterhouse, so you tend to get certain types of individual in there, and their attutude just makes it even worse.

covcity4life

without meaning to be disrespectful, not many people set out in life aiming to work in an slaughterhouse, so you tend to get certain types of individual in there, and their attutude just makes it even worse.
Ya you hear alot about how they are so desensitised to it and enjoy it etc. Scary

Grendel

Same as a country like China that has no legal rights to prevent animal abuse it says a lot about that society

The Great Eastern

My brother was a government meat inspector at a local abattoir and he will confirm that slaughterhouse men are a very different breed of person. One of their habits was to pick a certain beast standing in the line to be stunned and they would bet on the size of its liver or heart once the innards had been removed. Show respect for the animals about to be killed ? Not a fucking chance...

Ring Of Steel

[
L

My brother was a government meat inspector at a local abattoir and he will confirm that slaughterhouse men are a very different breed of person. One of their habits was to pick a certain beast standing in the line to be stunned and they would bet on the size of its liver or heart once the innards had been removed. Show respect for the animals about to be killed ? Not a fucking chance...

Yes I saw & heard that type of thing as well. Its one thing to go on about the Chinese eating bats & this type of thing, but as is usually the case we are not the angels we would like to think we are.

Users who are viewing this thread