Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (34 Viewers)

Sick Boy

That's a good point. If Pandemics are not unknown territories then the Italian and Spanish governments are just as incompetent as the British government.
Not as much bashing of them, from you though mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The Italian government is a shambles at the best of times.
If the benchmark and comparison for the UK is now with the Italian government then that is a very sad state of affairs.

skybluetony176

Why have we (6th biggest economy in the world), got a 5th of the ICU beds that Germany (4th biggest economy in world) got.
That hasn't just happened since corona but you keep doffing you cap.
Only another 20M population in Germany than the U.K. also so when you compare that figure to population it looks even worse.

Grendel

The Italian government is a shambles at the best of times.
If the benchmark and comparison for the UK is now with the Italian government then that is a very sad state of affairs.

It isn’t but you have to evaluate success or failure against other countries in Europe as it’s the benchmark. The UK government and really the whole of Europe should have banned travel to and from Italy much much earlier but if you are honest with yourself you would have been outraged at this move. People were moving across borders until Mid March

Sick Boy

It isn’t but you have to evaluate success or failure against other countries in Europe as it’s the benchmark. The UK government and really the whole of Europe should have banned travel to and from Italy much much earlier but if you are honest with yourself you would have been outraged at this move. People were moving across borders until Mid March
And people were still arriving into the UK from places like New York last week. The virus was not only in Italy and countries would have had to have closed down their border completely to all countries in reality rather than just Italy.
Italy was one of the first European countries to ban flights on from China at the end of January and it didn't work.
But...I do think that the Chinese reporting of numbers has had a major impact on this as it led to underestimating the virus in Europe as the true extent of it wasn't and still hasn't been shown.

ccfcricoh

No but I would have expected them to actually take learnings from other European countries on their doorstep rather than go ahead with a strategy that drew worldwide criticism.
A pandemic is not unknown territory for a government either, proper resources and planning should be in place in preparation for one.
I'm not sure how you can be so angry when its not even half time in this yet. You have no idea whether we have made the right or wrong decisions yet, its far too early to tell, nobody can be 100% sure. We got this disease at roughly the same time as those around us and as far as i can tell are not coping any worst than others. Could we have gone into lock down earlier, maybe, will Italy lock down earlier come back to be a bad idea, maybe... everyone has had to make decisions and to be honest its hardly a competition is it! Pretty sure they weren't sat on their arses thinking, we wont do anything today, only a few extra thousand will die...

Agree it shouldnt have been unknown territory but, if this had happened at any time in the last 30-40 years i doubt any government would have "coped" better.

Marty

The last few pages have made me smile, the same people who are saying how poor our response is, were the same who called me racist for saying we should close our borders.

Grendel

And people were still arriving into the UK from places like New York last week. The virus was not only in Italy and countries would have had to have closed down their border completely to all countries in reality rather than just Italy.
But...I do think that the Chinese reporting of numbers has had a major impact on this as it led to underestimating the virus in Europe as the true extent of it wasn't and still hasn't been shown.

the travel from New York is uk citizens and Us embassy staff returning - that’s it

The trends in Italy from the outset were bad. Spain less so but you know full well if Italy was sealed off for 12 months from mid February this would have been controlled a lot better and you also are aware that any government proposing it would have attracted enormous criticism - that one action would have bought more benefits than anything else but I doubt will appear in any public enquiry

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Italy was one of the first European countries to ban flights on from China at the end of January and it didn't work.

What makes it doubly galling is not necessarily the failure to close the borders but those arriving were either not tested or not forced into immediate isolation/quarantine, especially from badly hit areas like NY. Makes a mockery of telling the public to follow guidelines to prevent infection when travellers can just arrive and go about their business.

Ring Of Steel

If we're short of unspecified reagents I can get back in the lab and crank some out. Been a few years but I still know my Schlenk line from my rotary evaporator

lol :) You have missed some crackers today, apparently the Russian Military are descending upon Italy to control the streets, and those dastardly Chinese managed to infect a city hundreds of miles away. And from what I can ascertain its all the Labour Party's fault.

I can't take all these revelations, I'm off out on the bike

Brighton Sky Blue

The vegan sausage rolls are good. Dirty Mexican virus free also.

Wish they would bring back miscellaneous vegan slop

Vegan-Sloppy-Joes.png

CCFCSteve

I'm sure, and I certainly hope, we've redressed that disparity in the last few days and weeks.

I think we have a bit (up to just over 8k from the initial 4-5k which I think the original per head comparison reflects) from conversions, private sector and army. Let’s see how many new purchased ventilators come through next week as indicated at today’s briefing and whether we end up breaching capacity - I’d be shocked if we don’t for a period but obviously depends on how quickly the new ones arrive/training of operators in comparison with the increasing demand

Brighton Sky Blue

lol :) You have missed some crackers today, apparently the Russian Military are descending upon Italy to control the streets, and those dastardly Chinese managed to infect a city hundreds of miles away. And from what I can ascertain its all the Labour Party's fault.

It took me about 2 hours to mark 7 pieces of work because students uploaded things in the wrong format or sent the equivalent of a photo album. Then I got told off by higher ups for setting homework. So I have had a fun day.

Ring Of Steel

It wasn't up until last week- there were multiple flights into Heathrow today. THere were over 25 from New York into London over the weekend.

Grendel

In other words you’ve had some arguments out your way you have no ability to respond to. I assume if you’d been blocked from travelling back to the uk in January and told you couldn’t return for a year you’d have been ok with that? It would have been the one single act we could have done to stop the virus

Grendel

It wasn't up until last week- there were multiple flights into Heathrow today. THere were over 25 from New York into London over the weekend.

Loads from Air Lingus?

Sick Boy

the travel from New York is uk citizens and Us embassy staff returning - that’s it

The trends in Italy from the outset were bad. Spain less so but you know full well if Italy was sealed off for 12 months from mid February this would have been controlled a lot better and you also are aware that any government proposing it would have attracted enormous criticism - that one action would have bought more benefits than anything else but I doubt will appear in any public enquiry
In that case then you’d have ended up sealing off most countries for 12 months to protect themselves.
The virus didn’t originate in Italy and has and would have been spread from other countries as well.
Good luck sealing off one of the main motorways connecting south east to western Europe as well.

Grendel

I take back everything I ever said about you being stuck up.

I think Greggs is a business phenomenon - a real success story actually

Users who are viewing this thread