Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (41 Viewers)

shmmeee

It appears according to some medics that the chances of getting the extreme version is when you are infected by someone with severe symptoms

Yeah I saw something about that, it’s related to the “viral load” you get, which I assume means as you say if you get it from someone with bad symptoms you will have them too.

fatso

Because it’s a lethal pandemic and everyone seems to be recording figures differently and the only thing anyone knows is that this will go on for months? stop getting sucked in by every fake announcement that we’re all going to be ok in a couple of weeks
What classes something as being a lethal pandemic?
Would ordinary seasonal flu be classed as a lethal pandemic, and what about TB?
In future should we be taking these same steps against flu which kills thousands every year despite the annual vaccination program?
I have a feeling that when the mass screening program is rolled out, many will find they’ve already had the virus and didn’t even know.

SkyBlueDom26

I have a feeling that when the mass screening program is rolled out, many will find they’ve already had the virus and didn’t even know.

Deffo, I think something happened around Christmas time as everyone seemed to be poorly with the same symptoms, thats why the anti-body tests need to hurry up

wingy

Japan seems to be belatedly starting to take off
Conspiracists claim it was suppressed as long as the Olympics were an option.
We must all check our sources and reliability .
A week or two back our own media said Japan had removed a state of emergency.
But today in I'm hearing the public are demanding it's introduced for the first time.

Sick Boy

We must all check our sources and reliability .
A week or two back our own media said Japan had removed a state of emergency.
But today in I'm hearing the public are demanding it's introduced for the first time.
Yeah I think the reporting of the Italian figures there are not always accurate.

shmmeee

I’m beginning to wonder if what Japan and Germany and maybe even South Korea have done is delay the start of the outbreak rather than stop it all together.

shmmeee

That really is the doomsday scenario

Japan and SK are promising but both also had SARS and a populace used to social distancing/wearing masks etc. anyway. But Germany is on the same track as other EU countries on the graph they just took a long tome to get to 10 deaths (or 50 if you use the government one).

Sick Boy

Japan and SK are promising but both also had SARS and a populace used to social distancing/wearing masks etc. anyway. But Germany is on the same track as other EU countries on the graph they just took a long tome to get to 10 deaths (or 50 if you use the government one).
From what I read here the German reporting is different and they only report on those who died as a result of the virus, is that right?

tisza

What classes something as being a lethal pandemic?
Would ordinary seasonal flu be classed as a lethal pandemic, and what about TB?
In future should we be taking these same steps against flu which kills thousands every year despite the annual vaccination program?
Seasonal flu isn't classed as a lethal pandemic due to the low mortality rate apparently. Obviously atm there is plenty of seasonal flu about as the large majority of tested cases aren't coronavirus but "normal" colds and flu.
One difference atm is that "ordinary" flu is mainly seasonal so affects different parts of the world at different times.
However the coronavirus is still going to be an issue globally when the likes of UK, Spain, Italy are coming out of it. Here in Hungary our peak is already expected to be 6-8 weeks after those countries I've mentioned. Africa and South America also "lagging" on the timeline.
TB is a shocker causing around 1.5m deaths a year from around 10 million cases so 15% mortality. The unpalatable answer to this issue is "NIMBY" as over 95% of cases are in the developing world.

Ring Of Steel

Seasonal flu isn't classed as a lethal pandemic due to the low mortality rate apparently. Obviously atm there is plenty of seasonal flu about as the large majority of tested cases aren't coronavirus but "normal" colds and flu.
One difference atm is that "ordinary" flu is mainly seasonal so affects different parts of the world at different times.
However the coronavirus is still going to be an issue globally when the likes of UK, Spain, Italy are coming out of it. Here in Hungary our peak is already expected to be 6-8 weeks after those countries I've mentioned. Africa and South America also "lagging" on the timeline.
TB is a shocker causing around 1.5m deaths a year from around 10 million cases so 15% mortality. The unpalatable answer to this issue is "NIMBY" as over 95% of cases are in the developing world.

Ireland is saying "the spread is slowing" but I don't really believe anything I hear now, just riding it out until everything makes more sense and everyone is using comparable terminology... which might be never,

tisza

From what I read here the German reporting is different and they only report on those who died as a result of the virus, is that right?
all sorts of conflicting reports. our media here quotes Govt sources as saying those with underlying conditions in Germany are having that recorded as their cause of death. And those with pre-existing conditions aren't being post mortemed to see if they had the virus.
But this is the Hungarian govt/media so who knows how true it is.

Users who are viewing this thread