Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (41 Viewers)

cc84cov

people working at Heathrow, people who collected people at Heathrow, people who have been using Flightradar to see what’s happening- it’s reported everywhere. Although clearly it’s being ‘hushed’ as well. Take a look- there are plenty of sources.

If you’re still in doubt check Heathrow & Gatwick live arrivals. It’s very enlightening/ bewildering.

we have flights in from Rome, New York, Zurich etc and that’s on a Sunday night. So you want to take the dog for a walk? Get back inside. You want to fly in from the new coronavirus epicentre and head off on a train/ bus/ taxi into London? Step this way my friend.

Arrivals | Heathrow
Yep it’s true my mate flew in from New York no social distancing & no cheaks once they landed he got on a coach back to Coventry.

Absolute JOKE !!!

cc84cov

Italy & Spain are having mental numbers of cases & deaths

WTF is going on over there ? What’s the reason for this ? Have they even locked down properly 40k fines handed out think that was Italy Shows there must of been literally 1000’s upon 1000’s of people not staying in.

Ring Of Steel

WTF is going on over there ? What’s the reason for this ? Have they even locked down properly 40k fines handed out think that was Italy Shows there must of been literally 1000’s upon 1000’s of people not staying in.

I know it’s not the main relevance on here but Ireland gearing up for the ‘tsunami’ now, hotels being turned into hospitals and all sorts.

fernandopartridge

Just been reading about this 50% survival rate post ICU report, the medical opinion on twitter hints that this is optimistic, presumably on the basis that the longer you're in ICU the less likely you are to survive.

skybluetony176

I see Putin has declared a paid week off work for everyone in Russia so they’ve all booked holidays at the Black Sea resorts. Not sure that Russia has clocked what’s going on in the world but then Putin has spent the last few weeks referring to Coronavirus at the Western virus. A bit like Trump referring to it as the Chinese virus. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

skybluetony176

I was reading that Spain has had a real issue with it hitting retirement homes.

David O'Day

Just been reading about this 50% survival rate post ICU report, the medical opinion on twitter hints that this is optimistic, presumably on the basis that the longer you're in ICU the less likely you are to survive.
I read the report and as I said earlier there is not enough complete data to form any opinion. The medical opinion is thus no one really knows.

The report us based on 165 cases and the figures actually show just over 50 percent recovered. Let's wait until we actually have the data to make a conclusion

SkyBlueDom26

Trump thinks by June 1st they will be way on the road to recovery, hopefully we’ll be well on our way by then too!

better days

The Sunday Times says today that China is suspected of covering up the true number of deaths in Wuhan
Many in the city think it was hugely more than the authorities have announced

Walsgrave

hang on I’ll find it

in the meantime..

Just viewed some more of Mr Schneider's posts and though I acknowledge he is a solid lefty, some of the stuff I've seen about the government's response has been eye-openingly shocking. The government's refusal to take part in the EU ventilator scheme being a case in point - refusing to gain assistance in procuring ventilators for some notion of 'sovereignty'. No doubt there will be many people in the UK who will defend this on the grounds that 'Brexit means Brexit'. What a laughing stock of a country we have become - the government has blood on its hands.

fernandopartridge

I read the report and as I said earlier there is not enough complete data to form any opinion. The medical opinion is thus no one really knows.

The report us based on 165 cases and the figures actually show just over 50 percent recovered. Let's wait until we actually have the data to make a conclusion
I'm not making any conclusions just reporting what I've read, have asked a doctor commenting on it why he thinks it is optimistic rather than pessimistic.

Brighton Sky Blue

people working at Heathrow, people who collected people at Heathrow, people who have been using Flightradar to see what’s happening- it’s reported everywhere. Although clearly it’s being ‘hushed’ as well. Take a look- there are plenty of sources.

If you’re still in doubt check Heathrow & Gatwick live arrivals. It’s very enlightening/ bewildering.

we have flights in from Rome, New York, Zurich etc and that’s on a Sunday night. So you want to take the dog for a walk? Get back inside. You want to fly in from the new coronavirus epicentre and head off on a train/ bus/ taxi into London? Step this way my friend.

Arrivals | Heathrow

Wasn't doubting you just wanted to be certain should I want to refer to it myself

Ring Of Steel

This ones a cracker- government cancels order for ventilators. Read the article. These ventilators will now be shipped overseas, and we’ll see more reports of people dying in the U.K. due to a lack of equipment. What is going on?

ccfc1234

The Sunday Times says today that China is suspected of covering up the true number of deaths in Wuhan
Many in the city think it was hugely more than the authorities have announced
One thing I find staggering on the Chinese situation is how has Shanghai a city of 30 million with a highly dense population managed to contain the cases to 350? Look at Beijing s numbers also.

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

I have a feeling that tomorrow’s Daily Mail is going to trigger our resident xenophobes... big spreads claiming that Barnier is ‘patient zero’ and infected Boris Johnson, and a barrage of anti-Chinese sentiment .

Still, takes some of the focus away from the criminally negligent government I suppose.

Otis

Still trying to find a delivery slot with any supermarket for groceries. All to no avail.

This is for my dad, who is 90, but it is impossible.

The best I can get is in a queue for Morrison's online and that told me I was number 56,093 in the queue.

wingy

Still trying to find a delivery slot with any supermarket for groceries. All to no avail.

This is for my dad, who is 90, but it is impossible.

The best I can get is in a queue for Morrison's online and that told me I was number 56,093 in the queue.
Try Iceland Otis.
Explain he's vulnerable .
It may appear there may be no slots .
But they seem to hold some back And them release .
Only had to wait 2 day's on both occasions.

Sick Boy

The lockdown here is stricter than there and the 40k fines were from 2 weeks ago before tighter restrictions were brought in.

There are more people out and about in the UK by the looks of it due to the rules not being as strict. The way people are going out and walking there wouldn’t be allowed here and you’d be liable to a €3,000 fine.

Is the UK testing people as much as here? My sister is now recovering from it and her husband had it but they haven’t and won’t be tested, so that could well be a reason.

I’m not sure why you’re looking at the deaths to see if the lockdown is having an impact anyway, surely the new cases is more relevant?

That number is stable and I think improving; the peak is estimated to be one week away, which is good news.

As I’ve said before as well, those who died with Coronavirus are included in the figures, they did not necessarily die from Coronavirus.

Last edited:

Otis

Try Iceland Otis.
Explain he's vulnerable .
It may appear there may be no slots .
But they seem to hold some back And them release .
Only had to wait 2 day's on both occasions.
Been trying Iceland for 5 days now. No slots. All deliveries fully booked.

Flying Fokker

One thing I find staggering on the Chinese situation is how has Shanghai a city of 30 million with a highly dense population managed to contain the cases to 350? Look at Beijing s numbers also.
They are pretty good at covering multiple deaths up. Who knows?

Flying Fokker

Estimates Show Wuhan Death Toll Far Higher Than Official Figure

central Chinese city of Wuhan, residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate.

Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.

"It can't be right ... because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?" an Wuhan resident surnamed Zhang told RFA on Friday.

"They started distributing ashes and starting interment ceremonies on
Monday," he said.

Seven funeral homes currently serve Wuhan -- a huge conurbation of three cities: Hankou, Wuchang and Hanyang.

Social media users have been doing some basic math to figure out their daily capacity, while the news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

Some social media posts have estimated that all seven funeral homes in Wuhan are handing out 3,500 urns every day in total.

Funeral homes have informed families that they will try to complete cremations before the traditional grave-tending festival of Qing Ming on April 5, which would indicate a 12-day process beginning on March 23.

Such an estimate would mean that 42,000 urns would be given out during that time.

Various calculations

Another popular estimate is based on the cremation capacity of the funeral homes, which run a total of 84 furnaces with a capacity over 24 hours of 1,560 urns city-wide, assuming that one cremation takes one hour.

This calculation results in an estimated 46,800 deaths.

A resident of Hubei province, of which Wuhan is the capital, said most people there now believe that more than 40,000 people died in the city before and during the lockdown.

"Maybe the authorities are gradually releasing the real figures, intentionally or unintentionally, so that people will gradually come to accept the reality," the resident, who gave only his surname Mao, said.

A source close to the provincial civil affairs bureau said many people had died at home, without being diagnosed with, or treated for, COVID-19.

The source said any talk of the true number of deaths in Wuhan was very sensitive, but that the authorities do likely know the real figure.

"Every funeral home reports data on cremations directly to the authorities twice daily," the source said. "This means that each funeral home only knows how many cremations it has conducted, but not the situation at the other funeral homes."

The source said Wuhan saw 28,000 cremations in the space of a single month, suggesting that the online estimates over a two-and-a-half month period weren't excessive.

Wuhan resident Sun Linan said relatives of those who died are now forming long lines outside funeral homes to collect their loved ones' ashes.

"It has already begun," Sun said on Thursday. "There were people lining up in Biandanshan Cemetery yesterday, and a lot of people forming lines todayat Hankou Funeral Home."

Hush money

Wuhan resident Chen Yaohui told RFA that city officials have been handing out 3,000 yuan in "funeral allowances" to the families of the dead in exchange for their silence.

"There have been a lot of funerals in the past few days, and the authorities are handing out 3,000 yuan in hush money to families who get their loved ones' remains laid to rest ahead of Qing Ming," he said, in a reference to the traditional grave tending festival on April 5.

"It's to stop them keening [a traditional expression of grief]; nobody's allowed to keen after Qing Ming has passed," Chen said.

The son of deceased COVID-10 patient Hu Aizhen said he had been told to collect his mother's ashes by the local neighborhood committee.

"The local committee told me they are now handling funerals, but I don't want to do it right now," the man, surnamed Ding, told RFA.

"There are too many people doing it right now."

Chen said nobody in the city believes the official death toll.

"The official number of deaths was 2,500 people ... but before the epidemic began, the city's crematoriums typically cremated around 220 people a day," he said.

"But during the epidemic, they transferred cremation workers from around China to Wuhan keep cremate bodies around the clock," he said.

A resident surnamed Gao said the city's seven crematoriums should have a capacity of around 2,000 bodies a day if they worked around the clock.

"Anyone looking at that figure will realize, anyone with any ability to think," Gao said. "What are they talking about [2,535] people?"

"Seven crematoriums could get through more than that [in a single day]."

Ring Of Steel

The lockdown here is stricter than there and the 40k fines were from 2 weeks ago before tighter restrictions were brought in.

There are more people out and about in the UK by the looks of it due to the rules not being as strict. The way people are going out and walking there wouldn’t be allowed here and you’d be liable to a €3,000 fine.

Is the UK testing people as much as here? My sister is now recovering from it and her husband had it but they haven’t and won’t be tested, so that could well be a reason.

I’m not sure why you’re looking at the deaths to see if the lockdown is having an impact anyway, surely the new cases is more relevant?

That number is stable and I think improving; the peak is estimated to be one week away, which is good news.

As I’ve said before as well, those who died with Coronavirus are included in the figures, they did not necessarily die from Coronavirus.

U.K. testing is poor- 127k in total since the start. As a comparison, an online supermarket (Ocado) bought 100,000 and have already distributed 40,000 in the last 24 hours. Plus health workers saying they can’t get anywhere near tests.

I don’t know the reasoning behind it- lack of kits or whatever, but as always they keep announcing they’re ‘about’ to step it up, it’s always tomorrow. Tony Blair got stuck in demanding “mass testing”, as did Jeremy Hunt- everyone knows testing is key but for some reason we are stupendously slow to do it. Boris Johnson (surprise surprise) made a promise of 25,000 per day which is fantasy land, Matt Hancock said that we’re “almost ready” to administer 10,000 per day, but all of them declined to say when nurses and doctors would get tested.

To sum up, I’ve no doubt the intention is there, but they are failing to deliver.

Last edited:

The coventrian

I see Putin has declared a paid week off work for everyone in Russia so they’ve all booked holidays at the Black Sea resorts. Not sure that Russia has clocked what’s going on in the world but then Putin has spent the last few weeks referring to Coronavirus at the Western virus. A bit like Trump referring to it as the Chinese virus. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.
It is the chinese virus. What he said is correct. The dirty fuckers have wrecked the world as we know it.

The coventrian

Trump thinks by June 1st they will be way on the road to recovery, hopefully we’ll be well on our way by then too!
Well I'm due back in work on April the 20th. Keeping people indoors for months on end isnt viable. We've all got mortgages and Bill's to pay,families to feed. I dont expect the state to pay for me. I want to work. When people start losing jobs and are struggling through no fault of there own then we'll see a change in society I think.

Sky Blue Pete

Well I'm due back in work on April the 20th. Keeping people indoors for months on end isnt viable. We've all got mortgages and Bill's to pay,families to feed. I dont expect the state to pay for me. I want to work. When people start losing jobs and are struggling through no fault of there own then we'll see a change in society I think.
What change are you envisaging? Riots?

Brighton Sky Blue

The state isn’t covering 80% of your wages because you’re lazy. They’re doing it to keep you from spreading or contracting a pandemic disease. This is one of the biggest state interventions in the economy in our history and it’s being done exactly so people aren’t thrown out on their arses when they haven’t done anything wrong.

CCFCSteve

This ones a cracker- government cancels order for ventilators. Read the article. These ventilators will now be shipped overseas, and we’ll see more reports of people dying in the U.K. due to a lack of equipment. What is going on?

just to ensure people get a balanced view on the ventilator situation. Not wanting to a appear a Tory spokesman again ROS... but it also isn’t difficult to find other, more positive articles regarding U.K. ventilator situation (in addition to Dysons order for 10k last week)

Ventilator Challenge UK to start production in Covid-19 fight

F1 team helps to create coronavirus breathing aid

I don’t know whether the above will be sufficient, or arrive in time, or what the governments testing/order criteria was when deciding why to go for some manufacturers and not others (hopefully quality and speed in large numbers rather than cost)

This part of the article may be why they didn’t proceed with G-Tech

‘Gtech could produce around 100 per day within a week or two providing we could find steel fabrication and CNC machining companies to help us make some of the parts."

ie are reliant on others and possibly two weeks until they start production

ps I reduced my time on this thread last week as some of the framing of arguments or stories (government intentionally massaging death causes/figures - there might be some lag, but really ?!!!, Cummings, Matthew and Sarah Elliot running our epidemiological response to the pandemic etc) was getting crazy and to be honest seeing the constant unbalanced negativity isnt healthy. There’s genuine concerns over some of the governments actions/inaction but also a load of absolute nonsense on here

Last edited:

The coventrian

The state isn’t covering 80% of your wages because you’re lazy. They’re doing it to keep you from spreading or contracting a pandemic disease. This is one of the biggest state interventions in the economy in our history and it’s being done exactly so people aren’t thrown out on their arses when they haven’t done anything wrong.
The state arent paying any of my wages.

David O'Day

just to ensure people get a balanced view on the ventilator situation. Not wanting to a appear a Tory spokesman again ROS... but it also isn’t difficult to find other, more positive articles regarding U.K. ventilator situation (in addition to Dysons order for 10k last week)

Ventilator Challenge UK to start production in Covid-19 fight

F1 team helps to create coronavirus breathing aid

I don’t know whether the above will be sufficient, or arrive in time, or what the governments testing/order criteria was when deciding why to go for some manufacturers and not others (hopefully quality and speed in large numbers rather than cost)

This part of the article may be why they didn’t proceed with G-Tech

‘Gtech could produce around 100 per day within a week or two providing we could find steel fabrication and CNC machining companies to help us make some of the parts."

ie are reliant on others and possibly two weeks until they start production

ps I reduced my time on this thread last week as some of the framing of arguments or stories (government intentionally massaging death causes/figures etc) was getting crazy and to be honest seeing the constant unbalanced negativity isnt healthy. There’s genuine concerns over some of the governments actions/inaction but also a load of absolute nonsense on here
Aye it's just tin foil nonsense and thinly veiled racism these days

The coventrian

What change are you envisaging? Riots?
You live a bubble Pete. If this drags on for months you cant see any social unrest kicking in? People will only stand so much. After all,as contagious as this its only a fraction of the population that its affecting. What happens if food shortages kick in? You cant see people looting etc?

Users who are viewing this thread