Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (4 Viewers)

BornSlippySkyBlue

Stayed away from this the other day, but was a little surprised to see the question being dismissed by some.

Stock markets tanking, talk of schools closing for two months (sweet Jesus), six nations / serie a matches off, there’s even talk of cancelling the olympics.

I can easily see a scenario where matches are unable to be played (in front of fans). Nobody worried?

Sky Blue Harry H

Stayed away from this the other day, but was a little surprised to see the question being dismissed by some.

Stock markets tanking, talk of schools closing for two months (sweet Jesus), six nations / serie a matches off, there’s even talk of cancelling the olympics.

I can easily see a scenario where matches are unable to be played (in front of fans). Nobody worried?

Wouldn't be at all surprised, but curious how the EFL etc would deal with it, if a season remained incomplete. Owners suing if they feel their club has been adversely affected? Presumably the leagues have some rules in place that cover this sort of thing (apologies if already covered elsewhere? Some clubs could go under if wages have to be paid, but no income?

kg82

Didn’t think it would get quite as bad in Europe, but it’s certainly got to a worrying point now. I work in Hong Kong and my school’s been closed since about Jan 25th. The Government’s just extended that till Apr 20th. No guarantee that’ll be the end of it. So at least 3 months. They’ve also cancelled the Football 7’s and Rugby 7’s that they have every year. They’re being ultra cautious, which seems to be working here, so I wouldn’t be surprised if places elsewhere follow suit.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Wouldn't be at all surprised, but curious how the EFL etc would deal with it, if a season remained incomplete. Owners suing if they feel their club has been adversely affected? Presumably the leagues have some rules in place that cover this sort of thing (apologies if already covered elsewhere? Some clubs could go under if wages have to be paid, but no income?
There are lots of concerns for sure and no idea what their rules are for such a scenario. Like you say the lack of revenue could be a killer for some clubs.

Don’t suppose anyone knows the answers at the moment.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Didn’t think it would get quite as bad in Europe, but it’s certainly got to a worrying point now. I work in Hong Kong and my school’s been closed since about Jan 25th. The Government’s just extended that till Apr 20th. No guarantee that’ll be the end of it. So at least 3 months. They’ve also cancelled the Football 7’s and Rugby 7’s that they have every year. They’re being ultra cautious, which seems to be working here, so I wouldn’t be surprised if places elsewhere follow suit.
Yeah once it was spreading in Italy with no known source, the game was up in Europe. Containment is the intention. That means closing things...

Covkid1968#

Yeah once it was spreading in Italy with no known source, the game was up in Europe. Containment is the intention. That means closing things...
I think they do know the source now.... it’s a corporate hospitality chauffeur who caught it off a Chinese business man and the pattern of spread matches his pick ups across northern Italy..... so says my better half who spends her working life in the high echelons of the corporate world in Italy and Switzerland. I’ve not seen it reported.

skyblue1991

I honestly cannot see how the Olympics and Euro 2020 can go ahead with fans in fan villages or in the stadiums. I suspect they will either be cancelled or competed behind closed doors.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Flying Fokker

Hindsight. Wonderful.

Flying Fokker

SISU and Wasps are making every effort to comply.

Skyblueweeman

There are lots of concerns for sure and no idea what their rules are for such a scenario. Like you say the lack of revenue could be a killer for some clubs.

Don’t suppose anyone knows the answers at the moment.
Clubs wont go to the wall.

There will be insurance to cover things like this. It's called Force Majeure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

Only fair way would be points per game to decide final table.

listening to interesting radio 4 discussion. Key is absolutely stopping it from starting once it is almost impossible to contain.

Looks like there is nothing to cover this situation. All rearranged games need to be completed by the last week of the season.

Skyblueweeman

Flying Fokker

For reference that would equate to 9k death's in Coventry if we let it rip.
Stats are variable although of those infected it is 4 times more likely a person would compared to flu.

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

BornSlippySkyBlue

I can only speak from personal experience. I deal with F1 teams and Formula E teams who have had to cancel contracts due to the postponements of the F1 and FE races in China. They'll be covered with FM clauses in contracts. The hotel industry will take a hit in lost revenue but will have policies in place to help mitigate some of the losses.
You have way more knowledge of it than me then, I’m just using google, which suggests that it isn’t clear whether companies are covered for losses. Seems to suggest it depends very much on the policy wording and type of cover.

Whilst some may have some form of cover presumably not all will and the cover won’t be 100%, so there’s bound to be some impact.

I’m not arguing, just trying to understand the implications of all this!

Sky Blue Pete

Stats are variable although of those infected it is 4 times more likely a person would compared to flu.

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities
That was the radio 4 discussion they don’t know why it’s not a usual u shape curve. The experts I mean.

Awful rate amongst older age groups

torchomatic

Reminds me of one of my favourite series from the 70s...

Written by Terry Nation who created Dr Who.

Skyblueweeman

You have way more knowledge of it than me then, I’m just using google, which suggests that it isn’t clear whether companies are covered for losses. Seems to suggest it depends very much on the policy wording and type of cover.

Whilst some may have some form of cover presumably not all will and the cover won’t be 100%, so there’s bound to be some impact.

I’m not arguing, just trying to understand the implications of all this!

Yeah agreed mate and I knew you weren't arguing :)

I think it will defo affect a lot of companies in a lot of industries. I know that my company has shut 150 hotels in China for the time being. That will have an impact no doubt, even with insurance policies in place.

I think the whole thing will get worse over the next month and then start to taper off like SARS whenever that was. I don't think it'll affect our season though...potentially some games behind closed doors if it really gets worse here in the UK but with just 15 cases so far in the UK, I cannot see any other disruption.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Yeah agreed mate and I knew you weren't arguing :)

I think it will defo affect a lot of companies in a lot of industries. I know that my company has shut 150 hotels in China for the time being. That will have an impact no doubt, even with insurance policies in place.

I think the whole thing will get worse over the next month and then start to taper off like SARS whenever that was. I don't think it'll affect our season though...potentially some games behind closed doors if it really gets worse here in the UK but with just 15 cases so far in the UK, I cannot see any other disruption.
The longer uk cases remain relatively low the better. Let’s hope you’re right and the impact is minimal.

That re-infected Japanese lady is worrying though.

theferret

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

It is much more than 4 x the mortality rate of flu isn't it? Flu is about 0.05 to 0.1% as opposed to 2%+.

torchomatic

I loved that series.

Me too. Vaguely remember when I was a kid and being scared to death, loved the credits. Bought it on DVD years ago and watch it every now and then.

Liquid Gold

It is much more than 4 x the mortality rate of flu isn't it? Flu is about 0.05 to 0.1% as opposed to 2%+.
That's massively loaded by a high mortality rate in those aged 80+. For the vast majority of people it's no more deadly than normal flu.

Magwitch

To me it is obvious there is more to this that what’s being said publicly
the number of reported deaths is very low, even in China.
As for football and what could happen if worse came to the worse and the season was shut down in the amateur leagues any incomplete division where teams for whatever reason doesn’t fulfil their fixtures after so many games league positions can be decided on points per ratio of games played, that would actually put us top, but then as daft as it sounds the Bury scenario could kick in to complicate things. They could also play behind closed doors, cancelling the Ireland/Italy game has threw a cat amongst the pigeons in my opinion.

Liquid Gold

With the stock markets plunging could this have an effect on SISUs wealth capital?
giphy.gif

Grendel

The general view is many cases go unreported. The people on the cruise ship are reliable data sources and an elderly say more vulnerable member of people has a mortality rate of 0.4% - we are getting to these types of headlines now

Swine flu: 65,000 deaths is UK's worst case scenario

theferret

That's massively loaded by a high mortality rate in those aged 80+. For the vast majority of people it's no more deadly than normal flu.

But it's all relative. Flu also has a much higher mortality rate amongst the elderly and those with underlying health issues. The point being, the death rate across all age groups for flu is 0.05%-0.1% and for Coronavirus it is over 2% - i.e it is MUCH more deadly than flu, which is also much better understood and predictable.

In the US, 100,000 cases of flu results in around 15 deaths. 100,000 cases of Coronavirus it would be 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread