Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (101 Viewers)

skybluetony176

It’s almost as if the pending enquiry into the pandemic response by the government is going to be damning and over-reacting to this strain is going to be their get out clause.

The other possibility is that the ICU’s are starting to overflow with the unvaccinated so the government is doing this to stop the unvaccinated catching it and putting further strain on the NHS. Selfish selfish anti-vaxxers.

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

There is no doubt fuck ups were made/will be made but that’s from the government, PHE and the NHS. A lot of what the opposition, media, commentators, me, you and everyone else has said or thought has also been proven to be wrong at some stage

I’ve said all along let’s wait until we get through this before judging people’s actions though…what might appear the right or wrong decision 12 months ago could be very different now or in the future. PHE, NHS and government have all stepped up in relation to the pandemic in recent months and you only have to look at well run counties such as Germany to see the pandemic has been a shitshow for most of the western world

Kieranp96

It’s almost as if the pending enquiry into the pandemic response by the government is going to be damning and over-reacting to this strain is going to be their get out clause.

The other possibility is that the ICU’s are starting to overflow with the unvaccinated so the government is doing this to stop the unvaccinated catching it and putting further strain on the NHS. Selfish selfish anti-vaxxers.
Icu is no where near close to being full btw =), but you're right its mostly unvaxed in there.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I actually wish everyone would get vaxxed just so people then realise that it is still going to be here whether everyone is vaccinated or not. Might move the process on a few months. Just like the flu doing its rounds every year, Covid is going to be the same. We need to accept and learn to live with that. If it is a yearly booster or whatever, this current state of limbo land is only going to repeat for another two years at the current rate.

Macca

All I can say is that I took great care as directed by the authorities then took all vaccine and boosters offered then got back on with life and I haven’t had a sniff of COVID. It’s almost as if the science is right

fernandopartridge

I actually wish everyone would get vaxxed just so people then realise that it is still going to be here whether everyone is vaccinated or not. Might move the process on a few months. Just like the flu doing its rounds every year, Covid is going to be the same. We need to accept and learn to live with that. If it is a yearly booster or whatever, this current state of limbo land is only going to repeat for another two years at the current rate.
The vaccine is actually because it is recognised that it isn't going away.

ajsccfc

I think the general idea has always been that it'll never be eradicated completely but more become a tamer part of the regular set of illnesses as other coronaviruses have (I think that's right, source is Dr Mantis Toboggan)

Terry Gibson's perm

Oh the joy we have covid in the house again, my son has gone back to school today (he brought it home) my daughter who has downs is back to school this week and has been lucky as she has had worse colds. My wife has had three inconclusive pcr tests in a week and got a positive today so no work for her for ten days, she has no symptoms again (same as last year) she did a lateral flow test today (the day she got her positive result back from yesterday) and surprise surprise it’s negative.

Philosorapter

To be serious for a moment.

There are early indicators now that the new strain is doubling every three days.

I have a vague memory that this was the level in which we were all sent into level 4 lockdown last year when the Delta variant hit.

I believe the theory behind the lockdown was that the NHS would be quickly overwhelmed if there was no action taken when we were at Level 3.

The Government gave next to no warning about the lockdown plan and gave the impression of business as usual until the last possible moment.

There is also talk that the new strain will become dominant in the UK in weeks, rather than months.

I would be prepared for an announcement soon if things continue to extrapolate as they are at the moment.

I am sure there are more people on the ball than myself on the thread who are more clued in on where this is heading.

robbiekeane

@Philosorapter
And yet in the UK admissions continue to decline as do deaths. RSA has a 25% vaccination rate or something, so it’s not helpful to compare their hospital admissions and suggest the same thing could happen here and compare it to our previous waves.

FA85D7BF-640E-4017-B05B-1A4DADFCA96A.jpeg

Philosorapter

@Philosorapter
And yet in the UK admissions continue to decline as do deaths. RSA has a 25% vaccination rate or something, so it’s not helpful to compare their hospital admissions and suggest the same thing could happen here and compare it to our previous waves.

There has been 250 cases of the new variant in the UK.

I wouldnt expect the new variant to make a mark on the UK admissions yet.

Potential growth though in transmission over the next few weeks should have a knock on affect.

Brighton Sky Blue

Seems like in South Africa and other countries people don't see the fuss with this new variant.

Over here, people are trying to hype it up as much as they can though.

Pricks.

It has already been used to cancel our staff Christmas dos

fernandopartridge

To be serious for a moment.

There are early indicators now that the new strain is doubling every three days.

I have a vague memory that this was the level in which we were all sent into level 4 lockdown last year when the Delta variant hit.

I believe the theory behind the lockdown was that the NHS would be quickly overwhelmed if there was no action taken when we were at Level 3.

The Government gave next to no warning about the lockdown plan and gave the impression of business as usual until the last possible moment.

There is also talk that the new strain will become dominant in the UK in weeks, rather than months.

I would be prepared for an announcement soon if things continue to extrapolate as they are at the moment.

I am sure there are more people on the ball than myself on the thread who are more clued in on where this is heading.
This time last year we didn't have such a high proportion vaccinated though.

fernandopartridge

There has been 250 cases of the new variant in the UK.

I wouldnt expect the new variant to make a mark on the UK admissions yet.

Potential growth though in transmission over the next few weeks should have a knock on affect.

No, they have sampled 250 cases, there are likely orders of magnitude more already. Agree in general mind that you won't necessarily see the impact on hospitalisations yet.

CCFCSteve

No, they have sampled 250 cases, there are likely orders of magnitude more already. Agree in general mind that you won't necessarily see the impact on hospitalisations yet.

Agreed Fernando. It appears the variant is more transmissible but what we still don’t know is whether it’s more severe or not (initial view was not, but early days) and secondly, whether vaccines/boosters keep people who catch it, out of hospital... hopefully so !

Ps just seen NW beat me to it with similar points !

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed Fernando. It appears the variant is more transmissible but what we still don’t know is whether it’s more severe or not (initial view was not, but early days) and secondly, whether vaccines/boosters keep people who catch it, out of hospital... hopefully so !

Ps just seen NW beat me to it with similar points !

The problem is always we can’t tell if it’s a concern until it becomes one, by which point it’s in general circulation.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not seeing much to suggest this new variant is particularly alarming just yet, but I guess a bit more data needs to come out first.

It looks like they are going to scrap any ideas of the 2G system coming in the Netherlands which is great.

PVA

This guy is a moron, there are dr's from south africa statint most these cases are not even there for covid and have been picked up by routine testing.

He's not saying it's more dangerous or anything, he's purely reporting on the number of cases and hospital admissions. Whether they were picked up by routine testing or not they still count.

SBAndy

Not seeing much to suggest this new variant is particularly alarming just yet, but I guess a bit more data needs to come out first.

Exactly where I’m at with it. Obviously as it was listed a VoC by the WHO we need more data to be collected, but early signs are that we won’t be looking at widespread disruption as we have previously throughout the pandemic.

fernandopartridge

Exactly where I’m at with it. Obviously as it was listed a VoC by the WHO we need more data to be collected, but early signs are that we won’t be looking at widespread disruption as we have previously throughout the pandemic.
Maybe but tbf it was 4 or 5 weeks between the first COVID case in Feb 2020 and the first death

skyblue1991

Haven't South African scientists said the Omicron variant is much less dangerous than the Delta variant, or have I misread that from somewhere?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread