Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (84 Viewers)

duffer

See not really true, the chances of a vírus mutating to become deadlier is miniscule, they tend to reduce in potency as you can say over time, its just the natural evoloution of a vírus, they mutate to survive and multiply not to kill the host. (not saying it cant happen but very very very tiny chance of it happening)

Can you link to some actual evidence for this please?

duffer

It's this sort of stuff that worries me.

The chance of a virus mutating to be more deadly is certainly not minuscule. There is no evidence to support that proposition.

So, I wonder, why do people say it or take it at face value. I tend to think it's often to justify a purely selfish position - I don't want to vaccinate/wear a mask/socially distance, because I find it personally inconvenient.

There's certainly no need to panic about the new strain, but it's also not sensible to dismiss it.

CCFCSteve

It may change but the whole premise was get double jabbed, do your bit etc.

I'm by no means anti vax and think I am being chipped but just don't really see an end to it all. Goalposts are moved every week.

I understand where you’re coming from Nick. I had two jabs and then got Covid in July so I was thinking double jab plus natural immunity, is it even worth having the booster ?!

I decided to earlier in the week due to evidence of waning immunity after 6 months after two jabs (down to 40%) and the booster takes it up past 90% against symptomatic disease.

I couldn’t find any decent data on double jab plus natural immunity but thought with the new variant it may well mean lower vaccine effectiveness so it wasn’t worth the risk

It’s each to their own though. I don’t agree with mandatory vaccines so it’s your call. I don’t think it’s a shifting of goalposts though. They just don’t know how long these vaccines will last against a new virus. As has been said before it feels like it might turn into an annual jab like with the flu

CCFCSteve

It's excellent news in a general sense. Still a small sample size, mind you.

I'm still confused by the rush to get everyone boosted so soon, mind you - even more so if it does turn out that cases end up milder. Even more so as they still haven't revised the booking system to do so, so cramming half the UK into a month and a half period could be... interesting!

Yeah, know what you’re saying NW. I think it’s just a numbers game combined with concern over impact of new variant....as simple as boosting everyone’s immunity to minimise hospitalisations. I don’t mind the push for boosters although i felt it was OTT as we were knocking them out at 300-400k per day already (maybe vaccines are getting near use by date ?!!) what has really pissed me off is media whipping it up into a frenzy, people than cancelling Xmas parties etc, it’s crazy. Take some extra precautions by all means, especially around high risk individuals, but let’s see what the data says before collectively shitting ourselves

Edit - what I think is a mistake is pushing GPs to prioritise three month boosters ahead of seeing non vaccine related patients who are likely to be at far greater risk from other issues

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
How many shops actually care about masks now?

None I have been in even forcing staff to where them.

CCFCSteve

I think increasing how much they pay the GP for the vaccines shows the aim.

What’s more interesting is that the GP who tried to inspect an eye complaint over their version of facetime (funny if it wasn’t almost very serious) appears more than happy to make themselves available for the more remunerative face to face jabs !

Nick

Administrator
What’s more interesting is that the GP who tried to inspect an eye complaint over their version of facetime (funny if it wasn’t almost very serious) appears more than happy to make themselves available for the more remunerative face to face jabs !

Oh of course they will be more eager to get people in then.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just watch a few of dr john campbells videos on youtube, he mentioned it like 1000 times since stary of pandemic,

OK, but COVID can be passed on before or even without you showing symptoms. Which means that what happens to you after you get it is less important than with viruses that always cause symptoms.

See HIV for a virus that is also asymptomatic and remains similarly deadly.

CCFCSteve

Oh of course they will be more eager to get people in then.

I’m all for telephone appointments if it helps clear the GP backlog and/or appropriate for the specifics issues but I’ve had personal experience and heard of far too many occasions where they’re being used incorrectly, almost dangerously.

Back to Covid. Have a think about your booster and do some research about waning immunity. No rush but indications are it’s probably worthwhile

duffer

Just watch a few of dr john campbells videos on youtube, he mentioned it like 1000 times since stary of pandemic,

Can you post a link to something that he's published and that contains evidence that the chance of a virus mutating to become more dangerous/transmissible is minuscule, please?

I've linked to actual evidence that you're mistaken in that assumption, you're asking me to wade through hours of YouTube.

You've made a claim, can you point to any actual evidence to back it up.

I'm man enough to hold my hands up if I've got it wrong, I'd just like to see some proof, please.

Nick

Administrator
I’m all for telephone appointments if it helps clear the GP backlog and/or appropriate for the specifics issues but I’ve had personal experience and heard of far too many occasions where they’re being used incorrectly, almost dangerously.

Back to Covid. Have a think about your booster and do some research about waning immunity. No rush but indications are it’s probably worthwhile

Will wait until I need the doctors for anything and I am sure I will be like a VIP then if I say I might want the booster ;)

Nick

Administrator

fernandopartridge

I think increasing how much they pay the GP for the vaccines shows the aim.

You are turning into a proper conspiracy crank Nick. They pay GPs extra cos the GMS contract that GPs are on does not cover provision of vaccines. Are you suggesting that GPs should set up and staff the vaccine centres for free?

Nick

Administrator
You are turning into a proper conspiracy crank Nick. They pay GPs extra cos the GMS contract that GPs are on does not cover provision of vaccines. Are you suggesting that GPs should set up and staff the vaccine centres for free?

They were paying them for vaccines, weren't they?

It's not a conspiracy to suggest that GPs might be ever so keen to prioritise something they are now getting paid more to do?

fernandopartridge

They were paying them for vaccines, weren't they?

It's not a conspiracy to suggest that GPs might be ever so keen to prioritise something they are now getting paid more to do?
They are not prioritising one thing over another at all, they're just being paid for the extra work they're doing. If you really need one you can easily get a face to face appointment (my daughter has had 2 in consecutive days).

If you want to blame anybody don't look at GPs but at the government that has systematically destroyed NHS capacity

Nick

Administrator
They are not prioritising one thing over another at all, they're just being paid for the extra work they're doing. If you really need one you can easily get a face to face appointment (my daughter has had 2 in consecutive days).

If you want to blame anybody don't look at GPs but at the government that has systematically destroyed NHS capacity

I was pointing out the raised amount that GPs will get for vaccines.

Sadly a proper appointment has been like rocking horse shit which I don't mind as I will survive and I hope your daughter is OK.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was pointing out the raised amount that GPs will get for vaccines.

Sadly a proper appointment has been like rocking horse shit which I don't mind as I will survive and I hope your daughter is OK.

It does make some sense to try and get GP's to push this because over the whole NHS (and arguably beyond in terms of the economy etc.) getting the vaccines done will have a massive impact in getting us through this and out the other side as quickly as possible. Otherwise this goes on for even longer and the NHS struggles to cope with covid patients along with it's normal work. GP's are probably the part of the NHS that deal with the least serious ailments and identifying more serious ones to be referred. So they're probably the best available place to utilise for vaccine rollout, thus reducing hospitalisations etc and creating capacity problems in hospitals that affect big stuff like cancer ops etc.

In an ideal world we'd be able to just employ other people to do the jabs allowing the doctors/nurses to get on with their main job. But then they'd need to be trained unless you just want some random Joe Public jabbing you in the arm and not only do we not have time for that it's bloody expensive. And they'd want paying too, so the money going to the GP's would only be being spent elsewhere.

CCFCSteve

It does make some sense to try and get GP's to push this because over the whole NHS (and arguably beyond in terms of the economy etc.) getting the vaccines done will have a massive impact in getting us through this and out the other side as quickly as possible. Otherwise this goes on for even longer and the NHS struggles to cope with covid patients along with it's normal work. GP's are probably the part of the NHS that deal with the least serious ailments and identifying more serious ones to be referred. So they're probably the best available place to utilise for vaccine rollout, thus reducing hospitalisations etc and creating capacity problems in hospitals that affect big stuff like cancer ops etc.

In an ideal world we'd be able to just employ other people to do the jabs allowing the doctors/nurses to get on with their main job. But then they'd need to be trained unless you just want some random Joe Public jabbing you in the arm and not only do we not have time for that it's bloody expensive. And they'd want paying too, so the money going to the GP's would only be being spent elsewhere.

To be fair to Nick I think his issue is that some GPs are willing to do the jabs (face to face obviously) but many didn’t/don’t want standard face to face appointments. I appreciate what Fernando said about his daughter, which is great, but every GP surgery is run differently and some (mine being one*) were doing automatic appointment over phone

These surgeries need calling out as it’s dangerous and they are adding pressure onto other parts of NHS like A&E.There are many appointments that can be held over the phone but many that can’t, it should be relatively easy split most of these out and also to offer option to patient

*It may have changed in the past 3-4 weeks but don’t think so.

CCFCSteve

Is that actually a problem? Mine do that but, if the doctor decides you need to be seen, you're seen that very day.

Yeah, I think so. I ended up going to an optometrist (who was very worried but couldn’t prescribe medication) who gave me a letter and advised me to go to emergency eye clinic immediately. All of which would’ve costs the NHS

How was a doctor ever going to be able to inspect my eye over the phone ? Even if they had called me in after the phone appointment, then he’s wasted two appointments on me ?!

Nick

Administrator
My issue is as Steve said, it does vary between doctors.

Last time I spoke to a doctor they just palmed it off as covid the whole call. I told them I had a negative PCR result that day. "Do another".

Turns out it was an issue with medication.

Of course people need to be paid to do the vaccine but when they are giving a rise in how much per jab to Gps who couldn't give a fuck about you the rest of the time.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, I think so. I ended up going to an optometrist (who was very worried but couldn’t prescribe medication) who gave me a letter and advised me to go to emergency eye clinic immediately. All of which would’ve costs the NHS

How was a doctor ever going to be able to inspect my eye over the phone ? Even if they had called me in after the phone appointment, then he’s wasted two appointments on me ?!
It works as a triage with mine though, they filter the ones who just have a cough or a cold - means the doctors have more time to see the ones who actually need seeing.

I mean, take Monday - I have a blood pressure review, but there's no real need to see me in person, as anything they'll find out can be done as easily over the phone.

And if they're worried, I'll be there in the afternoon!

CCFCSteve

It works as a triage with mine though, they filter the ones who just have a cough or a cold - means the doctors have more time to see the ones who actually need seeing.

I mean, take Monday - I have a blood pressure review, but there's no real need to see me in person, as anything they'll find out can be done as easily over the phone.

And if they're worried, I'll be there in the afternoon!

Yeah, they’ll be some good, efficient systems but unfortunately there are also some poor, almost dangerous ones. As I’ve mentioned Im all for phone appointments, especially in current stretched times but some things are obviously going to need face to face

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, they’ll be some good, efficient systems but unfortunately there are also some poor, almost dangerous ones. As I’ve mentioned Im all for phone appointments, especially in current stretched times but some things are obviously going to need face to face
They are, of course. But the concept of 'seeing' people by phone is not a wrong one. I've actually found it easier to get to see my doctor(s) through the pandemic than previously - sometimes it was a fortnight wait before this all kicked off!

chiefdave

Think its down to individual surgeries. My Dad has been in a lot of pain recently but tried for a week and couldn't get an appointment of any type. Phoned at 8am every morning but his surgery don't have a queuing system on the phones and by the time he got through there was no appointments left and they refuse to make appointments for future days, just told to try again tomorrow or go to A&E.

Ended up paying £200 to go private, The doctor there couldn't believe he hadn't been in with the state he was in. Interestingly the place he went to advertises same day / next day appointments but they're so busy with people who can't get an appointment at their GP he had to wait 3 days to get in but at least he got to speak to someone and get an appointment booked in.

Problems is a lack of modernisation going back years. Phone & video appointments should have been an option for years, online systems for booking appointments, decent phone systems etc but nothing was in place and we're seeing the result now.

Users who are viewing this thread