Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (55 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

While we are on a run it would ruin momentum, would players have to stop training as well? What about friendlies for match fitness?

The one chance in my lifetime to potentially see us win a league and it might be ruined.
No might nick

skyblue1991

I dont think games will be suspended, its nowhere near as rife as it is in China and Italy. Plus too much money at stake which is all that matters isn't it...

Even if games were played behind closed doors there's nothing stopping crowds gathering elsewhere. It's pointless.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Otis

No chance we are almost 3/4 of the way through. Knock on head but keep the tables as they are. No play off games so top 3 promoted
But if you did that right now, Pete, that would be totally unfair on Pompey

Screenshot_20200310-091638.png

Played one game less than Oxford in third. Just one single point behind

torchomatic

You can't go as you don't live in Coventry. Not my rules, Coventrian said so ;)

Fair enough. Bang to rights there.

Sky Blue Harry H

I suppose they can have several seats of space between each supporter. That would look totally weird though.

They would have capacity to do that at St Andrews of they opened up the other stands (or back at The Ricoh) !!Won't happen though.

Winny the Bish

Unsure if it's been shared, but EFL admitted in Gov meeting yesterday that they don't have the insurance that would cover clubs' loss of funds from going behind closed doors.

Would be absolutely brutal for the small clubs that rely on gate receipts and refreshment sales to keep the cashflow up over the summer.

Last edited:

SkyBlueDom26

Maybe a ban on the elderly and most venerable to games could work? Seen it suggested on the news about over 70s

Danceswithhorses

What is it with us as a football club and success ?
We miss out on European football when we win the fa cup, because of the blanket ban on English clubs after the Heysel disaster of 1985
Now we're favourites for the league one title, and we get a corona virus pandemic breakout called COV-id, which threatens to derail our success.
Are we jinxed, or are there secret forces at work lol ?

Sky Blue Pete

Sounds like virus doesn’t live outside so no scientific evidence for cancelling large gatherings from the deputy chief medical officer. Interesting when Italy have gone into complete shutdown

Grendel

Sounds like virus doesn’t live outside so no scientific evidence for cancelling large gatherings from the deputy chief medical officer. Interesting when Italy have gone into complete shutdown

Italy have a 10% mortality rate and seem to be panicking - they are a unique circumstance due to huge numbers of Chinese workers

Evo1883

10% mortality rate is almost 3 times what it should be... Absolutely insane numbers

Nick

Administrator
I wonder if the fact that so many chinese people wear facemasks all year round whereever they are means they have a weaker immune system?

Magwitch

In reality you can only have complete lock down or nothing, experts are saying the lock down in that Chinese province helped things there improve, let’s see if it works in Italy, as for football here Prem/EFL might have to extend the season into May if needs be, it’s happened loads of times before, if we got and still could a deluge of snow games could be postponed and rearranged usually played midweek.

torchomatic

Italy have a 10% mortality rate and seem to be panicking - they are a unique circumstance due to huge numbers of Chinese workers

I thought it was 5%?

Sky Blue Pete

I think that’s right for top club sides they can cope without ticket money but lower down the pyramid it would be a big issue.

SonofErnie

10% mortality rate is almost 3 times what it should be... Absolutely insane numbers
It’s highly unlikely it’s that high. So far there are 9172 cases with 463 deaths (5%), however there must be 1000’s at home with mild undiagnosed symptoms not even counted. In short the figures are massively skewed.

David O'Day

It doesn't survive long outside and even less if it is warm. This is what Jenny Harries actually said. They do admit the may need to step things up.in the next couple of weeks but no there is only a moderate risk.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

steve cooper

Well, yup, that would kind of make sense in one respect, but it wouldn't quite work if they did stop the season now for instance.

Fleetwood are on the same points as Sunderland, but have played a game less. There is always going to be that headache isn't there.

If all teams have all played exactly the same amount of games there could be an argument to end the season, but it's never the case is it.

I know we say it mostly in jest, but I don't think you can just end the season early.

Behind closed doors seems to be the only feasible option.

Suspension doesn't seem fair, nor does cessation. Behind closed doors is not fair on the fans, but would probably work as the best solution.
They would have to redo the tables based on points per game. No playoffs and 1,2,3 get promoted is the only feasible way they could end it early. I know it is very much a different scenario but if a game gets abandoned after 75% of the time has passed, dosen't the score at the time stand as a result? They maybe could argue that as some kind of a precedent.

skybluesam66

The risk of extending from a football point of view would be
1. The play offs - Do they get scrapped, and just go to 3 up
2. Euros - is there room to then fit the Euros in
3. Player contracts including Loan players - these may need to be extended or we could lose Walsh and O Hare for the run in (not sure when loan contracts finish)
4. Our best season in a generation, and we cant properly celebrate (the gods are against us as in 87 when we couldnt play in Europe)

Magwitch

But games have been postponed and rearranged for years, the only difference is not being that certain how long for, seems a fortnight is the guide. It’s no difference to losing a couple of weeks due to weather.

SkyBlueDom26

Trust it to be this season, the season when we could win the league....

FFS

giphy.gif

Nick

Administrator
But games have been postponed and rearranged for years, the only difference is not being that certain how long for, seems a fortnight is the guide. It’s no difference to losing a couple of weeks due to weather.

How often have full leagues been cancelled for weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread