Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

The EU doesn't like countries prioritising the vaccination of their own citizens, so is putting in place some rules that prioritise the vaccination of a state's own citizens

UK singled out for failing to export Covid vaccines to EU | European Union | The Guardian

Why does the EU, if it isn't a state, continue to refer to itself as such? Talk about confirming some of the assertions made by the leave campaign:

The European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, said the EU was a global producer of vaccines, with 43m doses distributed to 33 countries since the end of January, but the bloc needed to protect its supplies.

She said: “While our member states are facing the third wave of the pandemic and not every company is delivering on its contract, the EU is the only major Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development producer that continues to export vaccines at large scale to dozens of countries.

The EU is not a member of the OECD, some of the member states are.

wingy

The EU doesn't like countries prioritising the vaccination of their own citizens, so is putting in place some rules that prioritise the vaccination of a state's own citizens

UK singled out for failing to export Covid vaccines to EU | European Union | The Guardian

Why does the EU, if it isn't a state, continue to refer to itself as such? Talk about confirming some of the assertions made by the leave campaign:

The EU is not a member of the OECD, some of the member states are.

This is related to the Netherlands plant I think .

This is the plant that hasn't received EU approval yet

But according to the FT last week AZ Had not yet sought that approval .
Guess it's all in the weighting of the articles as to who's responsibility that is or should be.

CCFCSteve

This is related to the Netherlands plant I think .

This is the plant that hasn't received EU approval yet

But according to the FT last week AZ Had not yet sought that approval .
Guess it's all in the weighting of the articles as to who's responsibility that is or should be.

Think it’s with the EU/EMA Wingy

They raided a bottling plant that has doses for Covax program and themselves.....

They’ll probably nab the Covax vaccines as well...and stick those in storage around Europe. Out of control ! 🤷‍♂️

wingy

India have suspend export of AZ vaccines now. Hopefully it won't delay things much if at all
I still haven't found it again but am convinced I read an article 2-3 weeks ago that suggested a different brand was to be used on the under 40's or possibly 50's
Hopefully that is still the case and the raw materials don't become embroiled in all this.
India did suggest the possibility of this at the outset

David O'Day

Im waiting to see the details on our doses as just heard a few things. Believe it was announced after there suspension.

My guess we gave them some ££

cool story secret squirral, if we were going to bribe them we wouldn't not have suspended booking 40+ vaccine slots and admitted that there was a delay in getting vaccines from India.

jordan210

cool story secret squirral, if we were going to bribe them we wouldn't not have suspended booking 40+ vaccine slots and admitted that there was a delay in getting vaccines from India.

It still takes time to get the vaccines from India and distribute them. So any delay will have knock on effects.

Hopefully we get our hands on them soon.

chiefdave

Apparently after a low key diplomatic visit. The 5m AV from India will be coming to the the UK as planned.
The Indian government were pushing for a relaxation of immigration rules for people who have family members in the UK, that was their bargaining chip in trade negotiations. Wonder if that has come up and been used by us as leverage.

David O'Day

The Indian government were pushing for a relaxation of immigration rules for people who have family members in the UK, that was their bargaining chip in trade negotiations. Wonder if that has come up and been used by us as leverage.

But the original delay was production so we aren't able to "bribe" anyone as they simply can't produce them in time. It's a similar issue to the AZ plant in Belgium and why they reduced the amount they were supplying to the EU.

The original 5m were not an export ban

Ian1779

They are doing a blitz on secondary schools in Northamptonshire at the moment giving left over Pfizer to the teachers. My wife and a couple of friends all from different schools have all had the jab over the last 3/4 days, and managed to get mine today. Relieved actually to get both adults in the house with their first jab given having a vulnerable child.

Brighton Sky Blue

They are doing a blitz on secondary schools in Northamptonshire at the moment giving left over Pfizer to the teachers. My wife and a couple of friends all from different schools have all had the jab over the last 3/4 days, and managed to get mine today. Relieved actually to get both adults in the house with their first jab given having a vulnerable child.

As great as this news is it's frustrating that this can't become policy rather than acts of spontaneous initiative.

Brighton Sky Blue

This could be stupid, not the vaccine passports but allowing no social distancing with a negative test? There aren't 100% and only show you didn't have it when you took the test. could allow clusters of infection again.

Genuine question, how long do you want things like that in place for?

chiefdave

As a general rule I'd say following the majority view of the experts should be the default. The worrying part here is Johnson saying pubs should be able to decide for themselves. Not sure I want people like Tim Martin making what could potentially be life or death decisions.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Assuming the roadmap dates remain the same, this is a totally pointless plan isn't it?

All social distancing is planned to end in June anyhow?

So this plan would only be of use for about 5 weeks tops.....17th may - 21st June.

Pointless, costly & divisive.

fernandopartridge

Think pubs should open in June (if not earlier) but as much as possible improve ventilation in them by keeping doors and windows open, should be easier in the warmer months. I don't think vaccine passports are workable or necessary, pubs opened last July without any great problems and the evidence that they're some great place of transmission is non-existent.

In fact, the entire "you can't go to pubs or restaurants as it's too dangerous" but you can go to workplaces is the biggest gaslighting exercise ever undertaken. I am no anti-lockdown person but when you look at the situation objectively, we've been banned from everything but working. Even meeting people in the open air. It is no sustainable.

Brighton Sky Blue

As a general rule I'd say following the majority view of the experts should be the default. The worrying part here is Johnson saying pubs should be able to decide for themselves. Not sure I want people like Tim Martin making what could potentially be life or death decisions.

I would say it’s beyond unfair for under 50s to be denied these things when they haven’t been offered jabs yet.

chiefdave

I would say it’s beyond unfair for under 50s to be denied these things when they haven’t been offered jabs yet.
Its not being denied is it? The discussion I heard on this earlier today was suggesting that business owners can make a choice. Either open to everyone but with similar restrictions to those in place previously (rule of six, social distancing, table service) or open to only those with vaccine passports without any of those restrictions.

And if you do open everything isn't that also, in a manner of speaking, denying things to those who haven't had the jab but aren't comfortable with the risk a lack of restrictions brings?

Brighton Sky Blue

Its not being denied is it? The discussion I heard on this earlier today was suggesting that business owners can make a choice. Either open to everyone but with similar restrictions to those in place previously (rule of six, social distancing, table service) or open to only those with vaccine passports without any of those restrictions.

And if you do open everything isn't that also, in a manner of speaking, denying things to those who haven't had the jab but aren't comfortable with the risk a lack of restrictions brings?

I support it reopening under the proposed timeline with the measures that were in place before. I’m not comfortable being in school under the measures but ain’t got a choice either.

wingy

No axe to grind or particular opinion.
Would this reverse the status quo from around a year ago?

Should this be an issue in an era where we give over every bit of information about ourselves just to function .

Should we take it in context of the never ending creep of surveillance?
It is related to public health , what level of infection should determine this as we are told consistently we can't eradicate it.

CCFCSteve

It would be unfair. As I understand it they would only bring the passports in after every adult has been offered a vaccine so I’m guessing this might be more focussed on autumn period onwards. It feels like it’s a way of encouraging vaccine take up to me

ps I personally can’t see why it should be needed once a majority of the adult population is vaccinated anyway (unless new variants appear but then I guess vaccines may become irrelevant then anyway). After that, we’re all grown ups, we should decide our own risks in life...unless you work around elderly etc

clint van damme

It would be unfair. As I understand it they would only bring the passports in after every adult has been offered a vaccine so I’m guessing this might be more focussed on autumn period onwards. It feels like it’s a way of encouraging vaccine take up to me

ps I personally can’t see why it should be needed once a majority of the adult population is vaccinated anyway (unless new variants appear but then I guess vaccines may become irrelevant then anyway). After that, we’re all grown ups, we should decide our own risks in life...unless you work around elderly etc

Fuck em, the young bastards!

Users who are viewing this thread