Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 4439

Salaries for nurses take the piss, especially £34k for a fully experienced nurse. As a civil servant, I've had pay rises between 1 to 1.5% in three of the last 9 years, otherwise a pay freeze, and unlike 'front-line' public sector workers most progression pay was removed from the civil service some years ago. However, more than at any other time I hope they get a better reward than what's been offered. They'll be some adjustment from the pay review, by which the Govt will look to save face, but it won't be enough.

Sky Blue Pete

Salaries for nurses take the piss, especially £34k for a fully experienced nurse. As a civil servant, I've had pay rises between 1 to 1.5% in three of the last 9 years, otherwise a pay freeze, and unlike 'front-line' public sector workers most progression pay was removed from the civil service some years ago. However, more than at any other time I hope they get a better reward than what's been offered. They'll be some adjustment from the pay review, by which the Govt will look to save face, but it won't be enough.
Couldn’t agree more

Ian1779

O
Don’t get why people are so keen for everyone to earn peanuts. Is it fear they won’t keep up? Surely it’s easier to ask for a raise if everyone else is getting them? And if you own a business surely you want as many potential customers as possible. What’s the logic?
It feels like equity is more important. If someone gets shit wages, then everyone should.

Terry Gibson's perm

For a band five nurse (Staff nurse) the wage is 30k at the top end.

Skybluefaz

More scaremongering by the Mail this morning.
It seems to be quite truthful though. Witty hasn't been that far off with his predictions has he? Again it comes down to acceptable levels of death and that.

fernandopartridge

It isn't scaremongering, for the sake of opening up something up no more than 5 weeks earlier, why would you take the risk?

Isn't only something like 30% or less of the population has even had covid, which means there is very little acquired immunity

NorthernWisdom

What's wrong with that?

Professor Whitty insisted slower was safer when it came to easing the curbs because it gives more time for the vaccine programme to reach younger Brits

But all the modelling suggests there will be a further surge and that will find the people who either have not been vaccinated, or the vaccine has not worked.

'Some of them will end up in hospital, and sadly some of them will die. And that's just the reality of where we are with the current vaccination.'

A few weeks is nothing.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

At what point is it appropriate to stop announcing a daily death toll on the news etc?

Based on the current roadmap out of lockdown, Id suggest we stop it on 21st June.....seems about right don't ya think?

fernandopartridge

At what point is it appropriate to stop announcing a daily death toll on the news etc?

Based on the current roadmap out of lockdown, Id suggest we stop it on 21st June.....seems about right don't ya think?

When the daily number is down to about 50 or so (i.e. around 20k a year equivalent to a bad flu year)?

NorthernWisdom

When the daily number is down to about 50 or so (i.e. around 20k a year equivalent to a bad flu year)?
I'd also like it to carry on for a month or two after restrictions are lifted anyway, to prove that everything is actually OK, and it's the right decision. Send it through to end of September, as the weather worsens and, if all is relatively normal, we can be fairly secure that it's all AOK.

shmmeee

Has the pandemic been squashed to pre second wave levels? Looking at the graph it doesn’t seem that way,

Saddlebrains

Just had my jab,

Very efficient, all seemed to run smoothly, the doc vaccinating me (was at my surgery) says he thinks were way ahead of schedule and will have offered all eligible adults a first jab by the first week of June!

shmmeee

Just had my jab,

Very efficient, all seemed to run smoothly, the doc vaccinating me (was at my surgery) says he thinks were way ahead of schedule and will have offered all eligible adults a first jab by the first week of June!

Good to hear!

Do you mind if I ask if you’re vulnerable and if not what age bracket you are? Trying to work out how quick they’re getting through it here.

Saddlebrains

Good to hear!

Do you mind if I ask if you’re vulnerable and if not what age bracket you are? Trying to work out how quick they’re getting through it here.

No problem,

I'm only 30 however I am classed as clinically vulnerable due to my daily usage of steroid inhalers. If I don't take my preventer in the morning I'm on the blue one 2 or t3 times throughout the day due to wheeziness.

Also have a condition (which is quite common and mainly harmless) called ventricular ectopic heartbeats, meaning out of nowhere my heart rhythm will create its own drum and bass rave for a minute or so.

I would urge anyone who uses steroid inhalers regularly ( your preventer, pink or brown inhalers) to make the call and ask, that's what I did

fernandopartridge

No problem,

I'm only 30 however I am classed as clinically vulnerable due to my daily usage of steroid inhalers. If I don't take my preventer in the morning I'm on the blue one 2 or t3 times throughout the day due to wheeziness.

Also have a condition (which is quite common and mainly harmless) called ventricular ectopic heartbeats, meaning out of nowhere my heart rhythm will create its own drum and bass rave for a minute or so.

I would urge anyone who uses steroid inhalers regularly ( your preventer, pink or brown inhalers) to make the call and ask, that's what I did
How did they book you in? Letter or text from your practice? I moved house last year but haven't yet changed practice, I tried to register online for a new one but don't think that worked. Might have to travel for my jab if invited for one.

Saddlebrains

How did they book you in? Letter or text from your practice? I moved house last year but haven't yet changed practice, I tried to register online for a new one but don't think that worked. Might have to travel for my jab if invited for one.

I literally called my surgery as a friend of mine same age also has quite bad asthma and he had his last week

Just enquired saying im sure i should be due now if asthmatics are being done and they said yep no worries 2.30 tomorrow

Evo1883

I think when it drops to flu levels, the deaths that is .. Which based on 15000 deaths a year is in the region of 50 a day... Then it's all a bit silly announcing it every day.
Otherwise they may aswell do it for the rest of time

Last edited:

shmmeee

Chris Whitty talking about a third wave in the summer with more deaths.

How? Most people will be vaccinated.

Utter bullshit.

If you listen to what he’s saying it’s that some won’t be vaccinated and some the vaccine won’t work (it’s not 100% effective). When you consider that only about 30% have been infected for the current death toll, and a first jab is only 70-ish% effective. Until everyone’s had both jabs which isn’t scheduled until the autumn I believe, there’s plenty of scope for more deaths.

Evo1883

If you listen to what he’s saying it’s that some won’t be vaccinated and some the vaccine won’t work (it’s not 100% effective). When you consider that only about 30% have been infected for the current death toll, and a first jab is only 70-ish% effective. Until everyone’s had both jabs which isn’t scheduled until the autumn I believe, there’s plenty of scope for more deaths.

There is mate.. But even with a vaccine, the vulnerable succumb to flu in their thousands each year .
This is the future of covid too
Whitty knows this already as do all of us.

Tbh the headlines make it sound worse than what he said tbh

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Nah, there is still a gap for deaths, but nowhere near what there has been.

Considering the virus is virtually harmless for a large chunk of the population, once the vulnerable people will have had their second (won't be long), the serious risks are effectively gone completely. As it stands, most of the vulnerable people are now 70% covered. Talking about a third wave and crushing people's hope is just a load of shit.

Users who are viewing this thread