Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (31 Viewers)

shmmeee

I thought they could still spread it even if vaccinated?

Evidence suggests not. It was always “we don’t know yet” never “they definitely can”.

Trials don’t look at spread they look at effect on the person taking the vaccine so we had to wait for real world results, which were starting to get in and they’re showing a reduction in transmission:

NorthernWisdom

I thought they could still spread it even if vaccinated?
Initial studies say a 60% reduction in infection, my boss says. Of course, once everybody is out and about as though nothing happened, that will compensate for that.

It's people deciding to act as pre-pandemic after getting their own vaccine that worries me, tbh. Wait for everyone else!

SBT

It's people deciding to act as pre-pandemic after getting their own vaccine that worries me, tbh. Wait for everyone else!

Could be waiting a long time in that case! We have to get back to normal at some stage, and if you can't do that once you've been vaccinated, why bother getting vaccinated? (Uhh other than not dying from coronavirus)

It's more of an issue in countries where vaccine hesitancy is high (the UK is more up for it than almost any country, I think) but perhaps the best way to persuade people to get the vaccine and get us back to normal is to persuade them that it's their golden ticket to living life as normal again. Much harder to persuade people if they still have to avoid other people/avoid traveling for months on end anyway.

NorthernWisdom

and if you can't do that once you've been vaccinated, why bother getting vaccinated?
Because you're one part of the stage to getting everyone else vaccinated and, if you don't, everybody won't be vaccinated.

Now if you don't want to fair enough, take your chances, but otherwise show some consideration until everybody else is sorted, and / or it's proven that you don't transmit a virus.

wingy

Think I saw an article the other day suggesting. 95% reduction.i. Transmission.
Which would be stupendous I think.

CCFCSteve

Hospital admissions down to 757, great to see them back under 1k for the first time in a long time.

Yeah, Covid inpatients in England (only have PHE data) are down to 9k (from 34k late Jan)

Confirmed cases at 6.5k (from 860k tests). Down from just under 10k last Thursday

Vaccinations administered yesterday - 279k first dose and 68k second.

All positive...fingers crossed it stays that way after kids return next week (I think we all expect cases to creep back up a bit but hopefully not substantially/won’t have direct correlation to future hospital admissions)

ps supplies allowing, NHS expecting to really ramp up vaccinations numbers from week commencing 15 March

hill83

Another 15 billion, 15 fucking billion.

Not as angry about this as I was a few months ago tbf, the vast majority of the money is spent on testing which we all agree is going very well.

Not that I know the figures, but a lot of people, me included, correlated the spend to only that shit test & trace app.

shmmeee

Not as angry about this as I was a few months ago tbf, the vast majority of the money is spent on testing which we all agree is going very well.

Not that I know the figures, but a lot of people, me included, correlated the spend to only that shit test & trace app.

Agreed. Though I’d like to know how much was spent on the non-testing stuff that’s been less than useless, the headline figure including testing tells us nothing.

clint van damme

You should be. It's daylight robbery of our money. The report linked to that tweet is pretty damming.

hill83

You should be. It's daylight robbery of our money. The report linked to that tweet is pretty damming.

That's going in on the app again, around 80% of the allocated spend goes on testing and the infrastructure around that.
At the risk of sounding like a government apologist.
I'm by no means happy with it, but the majority of the reporting makes out all the money has been wasted on an app that doesn't work and I fell for it. Hence 'not as angry'.

Skybluefaz

I need to see a breakdown of the spend because it still seems an outrageous amount of money.

chiefdave

The testing hasn't exactly been without issues either. People being sent hundreds of miles for tests, the numbers constantly being 'altered' as targets have been missed.

And of course there's not really any reason local public health couldn't have run the testing.

One thing I've always found noticeable is when you see news footage of testing in other countries the tests are being administered by healthcare professionals. Here you turn up at a car park, get a test kit chucked through your window by a minimum wage worker, and then have to do the test yourself.

fernandopartridge

I wonder what the reason for the lack of take up in deprived inner city areas is?

Highest proportion vaccinated by total populationOver 80s highest proportions vaccinated
Suffolk Coastal
53.1%​
North Somerset
97.4%​
Clacton
52.9%​
Wansbeck
97.2%​
Christchurch
51.8%​
Thornbury and Yate
97.2%​
North Norfolk
49.7%​
Tewkesbury
97.1%​
West Worcestershire
49.4%​
Haltemprice and Howden
97.0%​
Isle of Wight
49.2%​
Mid Derbyshire
97.0%​
West Dorset
48.7%​
Kingswood
96.9%​
New Forest West
48.6%​
North Dorset
96.9%​
South East Cornwall
48.3%​
South Norfolk
96.8%​
Eastbourne
48.3%​
Penrith and The Border
96.8%​
Lowest proportion by total populationpercentOver 80s lowest proportion vaccinatedpercent
Poplar and Limehouse
13.8%​
Lewisham, Deptford
68.3%​
Birmingham, Ladywood
14.3%​
Camberwell and Peckham
69.4%​
Bethnal Green and Bow
14.3%​
Tottenham
70.0%​
West Ham
15.6%​
Birmingham, Ladywood
70.8%​
Hackney South and Shoreditch
15.7%​
Brent Central
71.3%​
Hackney North and Stoke Newington
16.3%​
Croydon North
71.5%​
Manchester Central
16.5%​
72.1%​
East Ham
16.5%​
72.6%​
Islington South and Finsbury
16.7%​
Walthamstow
72.8%​
Bermondsey and Old Southwark
16.8%​
Vauxhall
73.2%​

Grendel

Sky Blue Pete

I wonder what the reason for the lack of take up in deprived inner city areas is?

Highest proportion vaccinated by total populationOver 80s highest proportions vaccinated
Suffolk Coastal
53.1%​
North Somerset
97.4%​
Clacton
52.9%​
Wansbeck
97.2%​
Christchurch
51.8%​
Thornbury and Yate
97.2%​
North Norfolk
49.7%​
Tewkesbury
97.1%​
West Worcestershire
49.4%​
Haltemprice and Howden
97.0%​
Isle of Wight
49.2%​
Mid Derbyshire
97.0%​
West Dorset
48.7%​
Kingswood
96.9%​
New Forest West
48.6%​
North Dorset
96.9%​
South East Cornwall
48.3%​
South Norfolk
96.8%​
Eastbourne
48.3%​
Penrith and The Border
96.8%​
Lowest proportion by total populationpercentOver 80s lowest proportion vaccinatedpercent
Poplar and Limehouse
13.8%​
Lewisham, Deptford
68.3%​
Birmingham, Ladywood
14.3%​
Camberwell and Peckham
69.4%​
Bethnal Green and Bow
14.3%​
Tottenham
70.0%​
West Ham
15.6%​
Birmingham, Ladywood
70.8%​
15.7%​
Brent Central
71.3%​
16.3%​
Croydon North
71.5%​
Manchester Central
16.5%​
72.1%​
East Ham
16.5%​
72.6%​
Islington South and Finsbury
16.7%​
Walthamstow
72.8%​
Bermondsey and Old Southwark
16.8%​
Vauxhall
73.2%​
Not great is it? Is it lack of access? Travel wise I mean

fernandopartridge

Not great is it? Is it lack of access? Travel wise I mean
Potentially, but a lot of it is inner London which is not difficult to travel around. Maybe it is demonstrating some vaccine scepticism in certain 'communities'.
London performs poorly for take up amongst health and care staff as well, way below other regions.

SBT

Potentially, but a lot of it is inner London which is not difficult to travel around. Maybe it is demonstrating some vaccine scepticism in certain 'communities'.
London performs poorly for take up amongst health and care staff as well, way below other regions.

Those inner city London constituencies are some of the youngest in the country so not surprising they’d be at the bottom of the overall table. But the take-up among older residents there is still lower than most other places, so there is something going on. (People leaving London during the pandemic and not yet changing their address? People not registered with a GP in the city?)

David O'Day

Inevitable while things are up. It's why it'd be crazy to go against him / them just yet.

It's a Vaccine boost, no one should really care about opinion polls for at least 3 years. No points

Judging by the reaction to the budget the polls will close again

Nick

Administrator
Those inner city London constituencies are some of the youngest in the country so not surprising they’d be at the bottom of the overall table. But the take-up among older residents there is still lower than most other places, so there is something going on. (People leaving London during the pandemic and not yet changing their address? People not registered with a GP in the city?)

Keep the cunts in lockdown until they have it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread