Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (19 Viewers)

SkyBlueDom26

Gove already backtracking on things being lifted in mid Feb, says will in March IF 14 million are vaccinated.....we’ll be in this for months the country is literally finished

CCFCSteve

Shmmeee, Ian and those others with kids at home, I’m not sure if you’ve seen Duo Lingo, the language learning app. I’ve been using it. It’s free for basic offering, not sure of cost for unlimited access. Decent though even for 15 mins a day

shmmeee

Whats the law on refusing to go to work?

Depends. It’ll likely come down to two questions: can you work from home and if not have they done everything reasonable to make work safe.

If you’ve already worked from home like I have they haven’t got a leg to stand on really as you’ve proved you can work from home.

A lot of teachers didn’t go in Monday because they didn’t think it was safe. If the government/schools had decided to push it it would’ve been down to a tribunal to decide I’d guess.

CCFCSteve

Gove already backtracking on things being lifted in mid Feb, says will in March IF 14 million are vaccinated.....we’ll be in this for months the country is literally finished

They never said stuff would be lifted by then though Dom. The aim is to get high risk vaccinated (offered vaccine was the loose wording used) by mid Feb, then 2-3 weeks for those last lot to have immunity kick in. Then some ifs and buts !

edit - that’s what I heard anyway

Nick

Administrator
Depends. It’ll likely come down to two questions: can you work from home and if not have they done everything reasonable to make work safe.

If you’ve already worked from home like I have they haven’t got a leg to stand on really as you’ve proved you can work from home.

A lot of teachers didn’t go in Monday because they didn’t think it was safe. If the government/schools had decided to push it it would’ve been down to a tribunal to decide I’d guess.

Will it get me away from the c**t slurping his tea?

NorthernWisdom

They never said stuff would be lifted by then though Dom. The aim is to get high risk vaccinated (offered vaccine was the loose wording used) by mid Feb, then 2-3 weeks for those last lot to have immunity kick in. Then some ifs and buts !

Yeah, tbf I wish they'd stop promising unrealistic vaccine times, but I do understand putting a date not *too* far in the future for things to be reviewed - got to give something for people to aim for!

Grendel

Refusing to go into work rather than do work is somewhat different especially for good reason

Well if you’ve been employed for less than two years and they want you in in that example I’d be looking for a new job as the decision will soon be made for you

Sky Blue Pete

You can legally refuse to work if the workspace is unsafe. In fact under health and safety and work act we need to do something about making it safe too

CCFCSteve

Yeah, tbf I wish they'd stop promising unrealistic vaccine times, but I do understand putting a date not *too* far in the future for things to be reviewed - got to give something for people to aim for!

such a fine balance though mate. Everyone hears what they want to anyway. My mate was saying earlier he didn’t like Johnson’s vagueness/flakiness with the timeframes (yet Dom and others mayve heard mid Feb as a set deadline when everything will start to get back to normal). Theyre right to build in a bit of wriggle room (with some if’s and buts) after previous occasions of not managing expectations but agree, the timeline for vaccinations for higher risks appears tight* !!! If they miss it by a week I’d take it though !

*could be other stuff at play ie pushing Hancock (or others) to pull their finger out and deliver something theyve promised Johnson. Would rather have an aggressive target and miss it by a bit than have a relaxed one...that still gets missed by a bit !

Sky Blue Pete

Well if you’ve been employed for less than two years and they want you in in that example I’d be looking for a new job as the decision will soon be made for you
Yep unfortunately you may be right. Workers rights have been attacked by conservative governments

skybluetony176

I think there’s been an assumption that it would be mid February as Boris gave a target of mid February to vaccinate the top 4 groups of people.

Nick

Administrator
You can be sacked for literally anything first two years. Grendels just doing a weird manager flex. Sacking people for not breaking the law is apparently much manly.

Refusing to go to work if asked probably is sackable. It isn't breaking the law to go to work, sadly :(

Nick

Administrator
I still don't get why there are still so many international flights, what's the point of locking people down if then people can just fly in and out?

shmmeee

Refusing to go to work if asked probably is sackable. It isn't breaking the law to go to work, sadly :(

If you’re asked to go in and they can’t prove it’s safe and that you can’t reasonably work from home they’re breaking the law. Or it will be tomorrow.

shmmeee

I still don't get why there are still so many international flights, what's the point of locking people down if then people can just fly in and out?

It’s madness. Surely we’ve got to close the borders and start testing anyone coming in. I can’t understand why we wouldn’t.

shmmeee

Not sure it's possible to prove anywhere is safe is it?

All H&S is vague as fuck innit? They’d have to prove they’ve taken all reasonable precautions I’d guess. I’ll be honest without a union legal team behind me I wouldn’t try it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not right.

Nick

Administrator
All H&S is vague as fuck innit? They’d have to prove they’ve taken all reasonable precautions I’d guess. I’ll be honest without a union legal team behind me I wouldn’t try it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not right.

Exactly, so most people will just go to work!

I could blag I need to self isolate but then I don't get paid....

CCFCSteve

We should have been doing that in February/March time never mind now. Baffling.

Think it’s going to happen.

Mentioned before about Feb/March. Check the lockdown doc on bbc from before Xmas about why they didn’t (plus the fact that insufficient testing available). Basically scientific advisers said there was no point as the virus was already here/in circulation. Got a feeling this is when they still thinking herd immunity was an option. What they didn’t build in initially was that it would buy time !

Ian1779

Yeah I would have to sort SSP or use holiday.
That’s where the system is totally shit. If you’re told to isolate based on a government directive you should be paid as normal, and your employer can reclaim the money. It’s this kind of shit that means people still go to work and spread it as they have little choice.

Nick

Administrator
That’s where the system is totally shit. If you’re told to isolate based on a government directive you should be paid as normal, and your employer can reclaim the money. It’s this kind of shit that means people still go to work and spread it as they have little choice.

The thing is in small businesses, who does my work while I am off for 2 weeks? I can understand the position of small companies to be fair.

I felt a bit rough the other week, went and got a test on a Friday afternoon and was back in on the Monday morning once it was negative.

Have been saying this for ages, it's really not as simple as "stay at home" for everybody. The same for self employed people.

chiefdave

Exactly, so most people will just go to work!
If you can work from home and you boss is making you go in he's a dick and depending on how exactly they implement the promised legal enforcement of restrictions might be breaking the law by the end of the week.

The issue of people not staying at home because they can't afford the time off even if they have covid was flagged up at the very start and is another thing that nine months down the line is still being ignored. Think you'd have to rely on your boss being prepared to put you on furlough for the period of time you were told to isolate.

Indonesia are vaccinating "working adults" first before the elderly. Makes sense.
Vaccinate people going in and out of care homes then the people in care homes don’t need it.
Or is it a case of the vaccine means you won’t get ill but could still transmit it?

SBT

Vaccinate people going in and out of care homes then the people in care homes don’t need it.
Or is it a case of the vaccine means you won’t get ill but could still transmit it?

That last question is one reason why every major health authority in the world is prioritising the most vulnerable patients, rather than the ones most likely to catch it. Clearly now that things are getting desperate, people are calling for a rethink, but the conventional wisdom is that you do it in a certain order.

Personally I think it makes sense to do it in whichever order means I get it first.

Users who are viewing this thread