Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (23 Viewers)

skyblue1991

Exactly, they really need to find a way round it. Whether it's increase the drive through click and collect or add loads more deliveries.

No doubt panic buying will commence tomorrow
The traffic light system can work like some shops like Tesco and Aldi have. Just reduce the numbers allowed in store further.

skyblue1991

That’s not what they’re doing though. Boris is giving it the bigun that we’ve vaccinated more than the rest of Europe put together. Firstly it means fuck all, it’s just Boris polishing his own knob. Secondly last time the government was telling us we were doing better than the rest of Europe within weeks we had the highest infection and death rates not just in Europe but the world and all of a sudden you wasn’t allowed to compare us to Europe. I’d rather he doesn’t tempt fate again for the sake of his own vanity.
Sorry I misapprehended your original post, agree with everything you've said

hill83

The traffic light system can work like some shops like Tesco and Aldi have. Just reduce the numbers allowed in store further.

They had that in the Aldi store I was in today. Didn’t stop Beryl and Trevor saying sorry directly into my lungs as they reached for the ketchup though.

clint van damme

They had that in the Aldi store I was in today. Didn’t stop Beryl and Trevor saying sorry directly into my lungs as they reached for the ketchup though.

I was up cannon park.today. Was basically a free for all. They used to be quite strict on numbers allowed in etc

Nick

Administrator
I’ve over the pub bit.

Talking to my lads mum earlier about the little things with my son. Lockdown for basically a 5th of his life. He takes it for granted he can’t touch or play properly with his friends. I doubt he even remembers a time he could. Will that just become normal for him?
It's shocking isn't it, there's already the "the kids can't go out and play like we did" but things are so different.

The stuff we took for granted, going to a football match feels alien

Ian1779

That's not on he bbc or guardian transcripts yet but they may be delayed. Nothing else would make me think it is correct as apart from schools he hasn't really done much
It seemed an odd thing that they glossed over, so i watched it back. Must have been a mis -speak

robbiekeane

It needs to be managed properly.

Remember last year when we had to queue for 30 mins+ to get into supermarkets? That's probably what needs to happen again to reduce the numbers in store
In NYC you are still queuing round the block outside trader joes for about 20/30 minutes to get in the store. In the store it's a delight and there's noone in there.

They need to get better at it here. Some little shit in Asda was picking up everything in the fridge and putting it back down again and running around everywhere while the mum just didn't care and a worker was nearby not giving a shit either.

Skybluefaz

I’ve over the pub bit.

Talking to my lads mum earlier about the little things with my son. Lockdown for basically a 5th of his life. He takes it for granted he can’t touch or play properly with his friends. I doubt he even remembers a time he could. Will that just become normal for him?
My lad broke down in tears cos he won't be able to see his friends. Made me feel dreadful for letting him watch it. It's tough on us all, including the little ones. They shouldn't be worried about this shit.

Ian1779

CLOSE SUPERMARKETS.

Edit: I know this is a ridiculous suggestion by the way but they are carnage. And can you name another place where you are mingling in close proximity with people leaning over you saying sorry in your face with a mask half on reaching for a pack of bacon?
Back in the day (March and April) they had people queuing outside with limits and all sorts... places like Asda just gave up and then ended up like zoos just before and after Xmas

chiefdave

Exactly, they really need to find a way round it. Whether it's increase the drive through click and collect or add loads more deliveries.
Frustrating that we're 9 months into this and still talking about the same issues we had day one. Increased deliveries, click & collect and booked slots for shopping shouldn't be that hard to implement. Thats just off the top of my head sure there's plenty of other things that can be done.

Grendel

CLOSE SUPERMARKETS.

Edit: I know this is a ridiculous suggestion by the way but they are carnage. And can you name another place where you are mingling in close proximity with people leaning over you saying sorry in your face with a mask half on reaching for a pack of bacon?

SBT thinks they are fine

Brighton Sky Blue

My lad broke down in tears cos he won't be able to see his friends. Made me feel dreadful for letting him watch it. It's tough on us all, including the little ones. They shouldn't be worried about this shit.

My tutor group is an exam group, they’ve spent Christmas revising for mock exams that now might not happen. They shouldn’t be left guessing what’s going to happen with lifelong qualifications

Skybluefaz

My tutor group is an exam group, they’ve spent Christmas revising for mock exams that now might not happen. They shouldn’t be left guessing what’s going to happen with lifelong qualifications
They should never have planned exams for this year. Was never going to be normal enough. Teacher assessment and coursework should decide grades in my simple head.

clint van damme

Just picked my son up from work. Told him that his college was shut and he wouldn't have any exams but he's worried that he hasn't done enough work this year to assess him on instead. Hes worried he'll have to do his last year again.

CCFCSteve

Not watching but following the BBC News feed which said.

That is exactly what they've been ignoring people saying for months and claiming it wasn't true. Suppose its an improvement on the buildings are safe, its just a problem when people are in them rubbish he came out with earlier today.

It was always true to an extent Dave but the decision was made rightly or wrongly to keep schools open. I believe rightly (WTF would parents have done if they’d been closed since March ?!! and that’s not to mention the impact on kids eduction). I would have closed them as soon as it became apparent the new variant was more transmissible amongst the young that week or so before Xmas hols though.

The massive increase in cases appears to have been due to the new variant in conjunction with people meeting up indoors over Christmas.

There was some easier stuff the government could/should’ve done though like advising elderly to avoid shops/high st since Nov lockdown (could’ve arranged food deliveries via NHS responder network) and suggest relatives only meet them for walks etc outdoors - unrealistic for some/many I know. Should’ve also pushed for more employers to make sure staff that could do, WFH (I know of a fair few unnecessarily going into offices). Regular asymptomatic testing for care home workers/those around elderly was another. Basically a more focussed approach.

Let’s just all hope the vaccine roll out goes well 🤞

Grendel

Just picked my son up from work. Told him that his college was shut and he wouldn't have any exams but he's worried that he hasn't done enough work this year to assess him on instead. Hes worried he'll have to do his last year again.

Just cheer him up by telling him about your good times in the Spittlemoor 😊

Brighton Sky Blue

They should never have planned exams for this year. Was never going to be normal enough. Teacher assessment and coursework should decide grades in my simple head.

The problem is coursework has been removed from the majority of subjects. If we had been able to do mock exams they would help with CAG but how could we put that on students with so little notice? I’d be terrified knowing Gavin Williamson is to decide how I’m assessed.

What course is he doing?

NorthernWisdom

I would have closed them as soon as it became apparent the new variant was more transmissible amongst the young that week or so before Xmas hols though.

The massive increase in cases appears to have been due to the new variant in conjunction with people meeting up indoors over Christmas.

There was some easier stuff the government could/should’ve done though like advising elderly to avoid shops/high st since Nov lockdown (could’ve arranged food deliveries via NHS responder network) and suggest relatives only meet them for walks etc outdoors - unrealistic for some/many I know. Should’ve also pushed for more employers to make sure staff that could do, WFH (I know of a fair few unnecessarily going into offices). Regular asymptomatic testing for care home workers/those around elderly was another. Basically a more focussed approach.
Can't argue with any of that.

Let’s just all hope the vaccine roll out goes well
Or that!

Brighton Sky Blue

It was always true to an extent Dave but the decision was made rightly or wrongly to keep schools open. I believe rightly (WTF would parents have done if they’d been closed since March ?!! and that’s not to mention the impact on kids eduction). I would have closed them as soon as it became apparent the new variant was more transmissible amongst the young that week or so before Xmas hols though.

Let’s just all hope the vaccine roll out goes well 🤞

All I want to hear from the govt every week is how many have been vaccinated and how close we are to hitting full coverage of the groups identified

David O'Day

Needs to be a way to enforce the mask rule in shops. Just don’t know how. When it’s so easy for the non-believers and “free speech” brigade to kick up a stink. If you’re exempt, wear one of the exemption tags. Mask up ffs.

Get a government scheme where all they currently unemployed nightclub bouncers bounce in supermarkets

clint van damme

The problem is coursework has been removed from the majority of subjects. If we had been able to do mock exams they would help with CAG but how could we put that on students with so little notice? I’d be terrified knowing Gavin Williamson is to decide how I’m assessed.

What course is he doing?

Trainee chef. So bit difficult to grade as it's a lot of practical. He was hoping to be working abroad by the end of the year but that could be in jeopardy like so much else

chiefdave

Needs to be a way to enforce the mask rule in shops. Just don’t know how. When it’s so easy for the non-believers and “free speech” brigade to kick up a stink. If you’re exempt, wear one of the exemption tags. Mask up ffs.
Other countries didn't allow exemptions to mask wearing did they? If you left the house you worse a mask, if you had a medical condition that meant you couldn't wear a mask you weren't deemed safe to leave the house.

We've done the double whammy of allowing exemptions and not requiring any evidence of an exemption so you end up with anyone that doesn't want to wear one saying they're exempt.

Users who are viewing this thread