Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (55 Viewers)

wingy

I've been asked to watch a film called The Contagion which seems to be similar to what is happening at the moment. Has anyone seen it?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
Is it a film or documentary.

Kieranp96

I got Disney Plus in an attempt to keep the kids occupied while I try to work from home, because it’s driving me round the twist with the arguing and non stop noise, then found out it doesn’t start until the 24th March. That feels like a really long way away right now.
Get on solar movies download a ad blocker and plug laptop into TV and boom watch anything you want

BrisbaneBronco

Can't be bothered to read through all previous posts on the subject so if mention before apologies. Just wondering if the financial implications on the virus will hit Wasps harder than us and could this bring them back to the table re Ricoh. Personally I hope they go bust.

BrisbaneBronco

Can't be bothered to read through all previous posts on the subject so if mention before apologies. Just wondering if the financial implications on the virus will hit Wasps harder than us and could this bring them back to the table re Ricoh. Personally I hope they go bust.
Latest from Australia. All outside gatherings limited to max 500 people for a period of 6 months. Indoor limited is 100. NRL season going on behind closed doors at moment. NRL are looking at moving all 16 teams to sporting complex in North Queensland. Basically isolating all players from Virus and playing out season. There will be no lock down for the public.

Sky Blue Harry H

Getting shopping for 3 elderly parents/in-laws (all with health issues) - set up a Sainsbury's home delivery account for my mum and stepfather. which accepted a payment for the service; it lets you place an order (took ages for them to do, bless - but showed them how it works) but then when you get to book a delivery slot it tells you that due to (unsurprising) high demand there are no delivery slots and no order and collect options from store. Naughty not having a statement at the beginning - and at this point they have already had your money for using their home delivery service. ?????

Also - a bit sad - my stepfather is adding bits to his online order, which he is (probably) never going to get. I bought him some cheese that they wanted, and he said - I've added that to the Sainsburys order, but we can use the 'extra!' (Don't think he's got it that his order won't materialise!)

David O'Day

Getting shopping for 3 elderly parents/in-laws (all with health issues) - set up a Sainsbury's home delivery account for my mum and stepfather. which accepted a payment for the service; it lets you place an order (took ages for them to do, bless - but showed them how it works) but then when you get to book a delivery slot it tells you that due to (unsurprising) high demand there are no delivery slots and no order and collect options from store. Naughty not having a statement at the beginning - and at this point they have already had your money for using their home delivery service. ?????
That's a bit shit. Morrisons gets you to book the delivery slot before you order

torchomatic

Also - a bit sad - my stepfather is adding bits to his online order, which he is (probably) never going to get. I bought him some cheese that they wanted, and he said - I've added that to the Sainsburys order, but we can use the 'extra!' (Don't think he's got it that his order won't materialise!)

Got an email from Sainsbury's this morning. Will try and put it on here.

torchomatic

From Sainsbury's chief exec.

I wrote to you last week to tell you about some of the steps we are taking to support increased demand for food and other essential items.

After I wrote to you last week, many of you replied. You wrote to share your concerns about our elderly and vulnerable customers and to ask if we can do more to restrict the number of items each person can buy. I have listened to feedback from you and from Sainsbury's colleagues across the country and wanted to share some of the extra steps we are taking to make sure everyone has access to the items that they need:

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

I mentioned last week that we had put limits on a very small number of products. Following feedback from our customers and from our store colleagues, we have decided to put restrictions on a larger number of products. From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.

Finally, I wanted to end by saying a huge thank you to Sainsbury's colleagues across the business. Everyone is working flat out in difficult circumstances to do their best to serve our customers. If you're able to say thank you to them when you see them, I know they would hugely appreciate it.

Best wishes
Mike

Brighton Sky Blue

Makes you feel great to be a working person with morals don't it?

Half my fellow teachers are off and the rest of us are covering classes plus setting work for all those self isolating. The missus is now being asked to assign work on behalf of the teachers who are off. She has a colleague classified as weakened immune system so they have 12 weeks off which they are now boasting about as it effectively means no work till September.

Schools have got to shut for our collective sanity!

Skyblueweeman

407 new cases according to PHE as of 09.00 this morning compared with 24 hours previously. Given the testing regime that's 407 likely to be a significant number of people who have been admitted to hospital.

If we're on about the league table: Hampshire is the highest LA area now although it's mostly London Boroughs in the top 10. Massive increase in the North West but only a small one in the Midlands. Only 3 confirmed cases in Cov so far which is quite low for a city of its size, especially given its demographic.
Only 3 cases in Portsmouth out of 68. Phew.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SkyBlueDom26

Vaccine ready by autumn?

(BBC)

A German pharmaceutical company working on a vaccine has suggested it might have a product ready by autumn. The company, Curevac, had been at the centre of a row over the weekend when media reports suggested Washington had tried to offer money in exchange for a vaccine exclusive for the US.

The company though dismissed suggestions they'd received a concrete offer from Washington.

One of the owners of the firm told German paper FAZ that, if things go well, a vaccine might be developed by early summer and could then be approved and ready for rollout by autumn.

tisza

2 main home delivery supermarkets here in Hungary (Tesco and Auchan) said all delivery slots booked up for next 3 weeks. Currently not able to arrange new slots for those self-quarantining or the over 70s who have been told to stay home.

Nick

Administrator
Working from home today, ITV on in the background.

They keep having random people on saying how they are dealing with isolation.

Len Goodman from strictly come dancing, obviously not short of cash just saying how he is coping and going for a walk in his garden.

No chance of being realistic for "normal people" then

SkyBlueDom26

Len Goodman from strictly come dancing, obviously not short of cash just saying how he is coping and going for a walk in his garden.

The media at it once again then

SkyBlueCRJ

Jesus wept.

Nick

Administrator
Now the Dr Hilary bloke is going on about imagining people partying in nightclubs.

He then says "Thats what it might be like 18 months from now"....

PVA

Grendel's favourite graph updated #flatteningthepeak

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F05ea854c-6885-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

tisza

I think China was so draconian in isolating parts of the population that new cases were always going to fall - because there was no one left to infect! When restrictions are lifted there will be a strong uptick in new cases again.
Kept it out of the main cities, able to take measures that "democracies" aren't willing to in terms of lockdowns, forced quarantining etc.

shmmeee

Vaccine ready by autumn?

(BBC)

A German pharmaceutical company working on a vaccine has suggested it might have a product ready by autumn. The company, Curevac, had been at the centre of a row over the weekend when media reports suggested Washington had tried to offer money in exchange for a vaccine exclusive for the US.

The company though dismissed suggestions they'd received a concrete offer from Washington.

One of the owners of the firm told German paper FAZ that, if things go well, a vaccine might be developed by early summer and could then be approved and ready for rollout by autumn.

Good news. Will be several months after that that it’s produced and distributed around the world of course. Looking promising that we might make some breakthrough before too long. I imagine there’s a lot of rich and powerful people wanting this and that usually speeds things up.

SkyBlueDom26

Good news. Will be several months after that that it’s produced and distributed around the world of course. Looking promising that we might make some breakthrough before too long. I imagine there’s a lot of rich and powerful people wanting this and that usually speeds things up.

Hopefully mate! Lets keep our fingers crossed

mark82

US worryingly bending the wrong way.

Anyone know how long Italy have been in lockdown? Seems to be flattening out a bit there now.

They're the right side of the curve though, unlike us. Our death rate is quite shocking when you compare to other countries.

shmmeee

You rekon its flattening? It still looks to be rising quite sharply

Oh it is, but bending the right way at least. As they’re the Western nation furthest ahead it’ll be interesting to see what impact their measures have and hopefully gives us some idea of what we can expect.

China basically flattened out around two weeks after full lockdown I think, question is can the less harsh regimes in the West flatten it too and by how much.

Users who are viewing this thread