Coronavirus Isolation - TV Shows to Binge (1 Viewer)

CCFCSteve

One show I absolutely loved but I'm a bit loathe to recommend because it is incredibly slow is the Deuce created by David Simons of the Wire along with George Pelecanos.

Really enjoyed it. Defintiely wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea though.

Good shout about Deuce Clint, been on the list for ages and had totally forgotten about it

olderskyblue

Been watching treadstone. Enjoying it

Kneeza

Going to dig out the old Green Wing and Black Books DVDs.
Am nearly through all six seasons of Corner Gas atm. Quite Marmite I suppose, but some very sharp humour (and some pretty puerile). Worth a try though.
Watched Blinded by the Light last night on Prime. Good if you like The Boss. Decent portrayal of racism in Luton in the eighties too.

wingy

Any box sets of Cheers should hit the mark for us older ones,pub themed too .
Might be a bit too close to home for those with a hankering for a jar.

fellatio_Martinez

Just noticed The Sheild is on boxsets , I’ve heard a lot of good things about it

The Shield is a rollercoaster ride. It starts out a bit formulaic and you might even feel like giving up on it but once it gets going in season 2 the story arc is amazing. It's as dark, horrifying and funny as anything I've seen on TV.

The worst thing that happened to The Shield was The Sopranos which came out at the same time and nudged it out of the spotlight.

Sky_Blue_Daz

The Shield is a rollercoaster ride. It starts out a bit formulaic and you might even feel like giving up on it but once it gets going in season 2 the story arc is amazing. It's as dark, horrifying and funny as anything I've seen on TV.

The worst thing that happened to The Shield was The Sopranos which came out at the same time and nudged it out of the spotlight.
Only watched the first one as I decided to sort out mine and the neighbours gardens but I’ll dive into it

Last edited:

Mr Panda

The English Game that just released on Netflix is alright. 6 episodes based on true events around football in the early days and how it became a working mans game. Kind of thing you'd watch with a partner too.

I loved Boardwalk Empire, I honestly thought that after the first couple of seasons it would eventually end up being up there with the big boys (1. Sopranos 2. The Wire, IMO) but couldnt quite get there.

I loved Boardwalk more so the second time round when I had the chance to binge watch rather than waiting a year, so I'd definitely recommend a second viewing.

Liquid Gold

The English Game that just released on Netflix is alright. 6 episodes based on true events around football in the early days and how it became a working mans game. Kind of thing you'd watch with a partner too.

I loved Boardwalk Empire, I honestly thought that after the first couple of seasons it would eventually end up being up there with the big boys (1. Sopranos 2. The Wire, IMO) but couldnt quite get there.

I loved Boardwalk more so the second time round when I had the chance to binge watch rather than waiting a year, so I'd definitely recommend a second viewing.
Tried it but gave up, The English Game thats is. The football was nonsensical, every game ended up 7-6 or something and the story apart from that was up north men have it tough in the mill but come together to stick it to the poshos. Very meh.

I'm really enjoying Succession at the moment, every character you just love to hate.

rob9872

Predictable, cheesy, nonsensical, over dramatic, football meets Downton Abbey, purposely stereotypical characters, thin plot. However, utterly compelling once you start and just smashed all 6 episodes in a single sitting. Some decent acting too.

Mr Panda

Tried it but gave up, The English Game thats is. The football was nonsensical, every game ended up 7-6 or something and the story apart from that was up north men have it tough in the mill but come together to stick it to the poshos. Very meh.

I'm really enjoying Succession at the moment, every character you just love to hate.

Isn't that kind of what football was like pre-1900 though? Lots of men within a meter of eachother kicking at eachother for the ball?

I'm pretty sure 7 attackers up top was a thing and scorelines were crazy

Liquid Gold

Isn't that kind of what football was like pre-1900 though? Lots of men within a meter of eachother kicking at eachother for the ball?

I'm pretty sure 7 attackers up top was a thing and scorelines were crazy
Yeah maybe but even then te show is just goal - sad, goal - sad, goal- happy etc.

TV and film have ever managed to properly capture a game of football.

Users who are viewing this thread