06 Malaga
24 Wood
35 Brown
08 Baker (McSheffrey - 88' )
12 Jennings
15 Kilbane
16 Barton 09 McDonald
14 Elliott (Ball - 85' )

So the worst manager in our history would have got us to the position we're in now with the team above. I don't think so

Was this the team that drew with Sheff Utd.

Then add DMC. Probably

stupot07

Was this the team that drew with Sheff Utd.

Then add DMC. Probably

Only Murphy, Wood, Baker, sheffers and Jennings can get in our full strength first 11, Kilbane couldn't hack it and retired, Malaga and hussey are surplus to requirements and brown has been in exile for the last 3 months.

Last edited:

Grendel

Yes. And would still be just about the same team if Thorn was still in charge

And with his dire brand of football mcgoldrick would never have scored the goals he has.

Lets just be happy it's.a new year and he has gone for good.

BurbageSkyBlues

Robins is clearly the better manager, but Thorn was dealt a lot of bum hands. MR is also more experienced, having learnt from his previous jobs.

We cannot compare like for like, as at this point in time they have dissimilar levels of experience, we will never know what might have been under different circumstances.

The only sure thing, is that right here and now, MR is doing a superb job.....lets just hope Sisu support him, and don't give him a reason to walk. Good managers usually have principles, too!

BurbageSkyBlues

Ps - lets put the thorn thing to bed, give the guy a break. He had a go, but it didn't work out......I doubt it was malicious on his part.

If we are unhappy at his tenure, look towards those that employed him.

lordsummerisle

To be fair to Thorn he was a bit of a visionary when it came to scouting players ideal for League One, Baker, Wood, Murphy, McPake spring to mind, and even looked further ahead and scouted some for League Two in McDonald and Hussey.

Just a shame they were brought in to do a job in The Championship, still at least he was ahead of the curve.

Grendel

To be fair to Thorn he was a bit of a visionary when it came to scouting players ideal for League One, Baker, Wood, Murphy, McPake spring to mind, and even looked further ahead and scouted some for League Two in McDonald and Hussey.

Just a shame they were brought in to do a job in The Championship, still at least he was ahead of the curve.

You've forget David Bell

"Yeah belly was one of mine. I've been an admirer of his for a long, long time"

blueflint

i think we had a good nucleus of talent that was under achieving M R changed that very quickly as in baker now we play as a team not individuals bring on the championship

Grendel

The point of the thread as I saw it was to discuss Mark Robins...as for the other bloke HE'S LEFT!!!

No it wasn't but don has agreed not to mention him again. We'll see.

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread