Controversial debate Robins (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Robins football manager genius or man who inherited one of if not the best squad in this division with the best striker.

Added 5 signings 3 of whom have turned out to be excellent. Two not so great.

Is our surge towards the play offs what this squad should be doing anyway, or is it a miracle and he has transformed a bunch of average good for nothing's into an amazing team.

What does Robins history as a manager suggest. Miracle worker, good manager, or a manager achieving what he should.

I think very good manager getting the best out of this s very good squad and when DMC goes and his replacement Leon starts scoring And we go up he will still be a very good manager.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Inherited one of the best teams in the division, but added to it, made CCFC his own, he is a genius at L1 standard, hopefully we get promoted and he does as well.

He's got players playing how they should, but he has made them improve, whether if it's making them fitter (Fleck) or working with them individually (Baker). He has made his mark on this team, but we no doubt had the quality.

He's a good manager.

kg82

A squad so low on confidence, no desire. He's performed a minor miracle in my opinion. Add to that the turmoil behind the scenes and keeping the plays completely focused on the games!

torchomatic

He inherited a good team of players, though many on here and on the radio were saying we had the worse team in our history! :facepalm: However, as was proved with Shaw's disastrous spell in charge, it's not the players necessarily but how you make them play, how you blend and make the most of your strengths and weaknesses. Same with Sil and the '87 squad. Robin's has made them believe. And made us believe as well.

Last edited:
great man manager and coach, with his own focused approach on how all levels of a good club should be run, after all he is a fergie babe, we have always had managers that have recently done it with others clubs.....Robbins and our time is now.

dongonzalos

He inherited a good team of players, though many of here and on the radio were saying we had the worse team in our history! :facepalm: However, as was proved with Shaw's disastrous spell in charge, it's not the players necessarily but how you make them play, how you blend and make the most of your strengths and weaknesses. Same with Sil and the '87 squad. Robin's has made them believe. And made us believe as well.

Good post Torch

torchomatic

I guess I'm saying we might not have the best squad in the world or even our division but Robins makes them believe and play like they are which is fantastic. Look how much McSheff has improved over the last six weeks or so. Same with Bailey and Baker. I don't think we can underestimate just how good he is and how important he is for this football club. I would rather get rid of any member of the current squad and keep Robins at the helm. I just hope the rent thing is sorted and he can continue to make our football club great again. After the uninspiring years of Dowie, Coleman, Boothroyd and Thorn then this makes it even more sweeter.

Good post Torch

Covstu

He inherited a good team of players, though many on here and on the radio were saying we had the worse team in our history! :facepalm: However, as was proved with Shaw's disastrous spell in charge, it's not the players necessarily but how you make them play, how you blend and make the most of your strengths and weaknesses. Same with Sil and the '87 squad. Robin's has made them believe. And made us believe as well.

totally agree, not too long ago we had many a statement about the complete lack of quality of our players on this very forum, he has certainly turned that opinion around and the passion and desire of the players. He is a very good manager (not great....yet). Lets see if SISU pull the rug from underneath him in january though.

Sutty

I said after the MK Dons game that the players don't just look like better players than they did at the start of the season, they look like different people altogether.

Robins deserves a lot of credit for getting the team performing like this. In September/October time, we had a lot of passengers. Talented attacking midfield players that were wildly inconsistent even within a single game, and we got over-run by teams. Now they're performing well, and we're scoring goals as a result.

SkyBlueScottie

He has in my opinion left all previous jobs with his reputation intact. Personally I think we are very lucky to have him and cant believe other clubs (perhaps they did) didnt approach him while he was out of work. I think a sign of how good Robins is the way the team have so far bounced back each time after a bad performance / loss and then put another unbeaten run together. The home form is still a slight worry however I personally believe this is due to the fragile confidence of the players that has been built up over years and years, even before the Ricoh. For the cup game against Arlesey I sat behind the team benches as opposed to my normal seat in the opposite stand and we have a special little noise we all make when somebody loses the ball makes a mistake, and its an audible groan and I was surprsed at how loud it was despite there being 6000 fans in the stadium, from that point on the players were constantly under pressure and we started to make more mistakes, that's something the players will have to get over but like I said, I also believe Robins has mentioned the same that will take the most time.

Ref his signings Moussa is coming on and looks a very good player at this level, he can run with the ball looks comfortable in the middle and also out wide he is also very good at nicking the ball and setting attacks off. Bailey shields his defence well, makes some excellent runs into the hole behind the forward, agains is compfortable running / passing the ball and a decent tackler as well. Henderson came highly rated, and not every managed is trusted with an Arsenal prospect, depending on the playing staff next season I would not be surprised to see him here again on a season long loan.

Reckord came in with a decent repuation, and was never seen again after Robins dragged him off for ignoring his instructions in the 1st round of the cup. B;air Adams has since come in and has slotted in nicely and is also coming to the end of a deal so again there is potential to sign him full time. If that does not happen and he agrees to stay at Sunderland we could again see a long term loan for next season. More importantly all of his signings bar Henderson have come in and improved the squad, even Reckord who of course replaced Hussey.

BrisbaneBronco

He has done brilliantly.
To keep things going well on the pitch when off the pitch things are not.
To win at MK Dons without McG and Bailey.
To come from behind to win games
To score 3, 4 and 5 goals in games

These are just a few of the positives
Only one negative - Our home form

dongonzalos

I think we have the best squad by a country mile, depth quality etc..
He certainly seems to also have got them playing to their maximum.
I think it is via the competition. If you don't perform 100 there is someone on the bench who will.

I think he used Hussey and Malaga to send out a don't mess with me I am ruthless message.

Covstu

i think that message extended to Shaw for the backroom staff also, it was obviously worked although time will tell if we start getting injuries etc.

SkyBlueScottie

I said after the MK Dons game that the players don't just look like better players than they did at the start of the season, they look like different people altogether.

Robins deserves a lot of credit for getting the team performing like this. In September/October time, we had a lot of passengers. Talented attacking midfield players that were wildly inconsistent even within a single game, and we got over-run by teams. Now they're performing well, and we're scoring goals as a result.

The players trust their manager, you can see they are working on stuff in training, leg like the midfielders running on into the hole, McSheff doing likewise, McSheff picking the ball up with his body facing the opposition goal + plus recieving it while on the move. They are also beginning to realise that performing once or twice in training per week is not on, the standars are clearly higher. He is planning for the future I dont think its no mistake that such players as Thomas are coming back into the squad now as we may potentially be light of bodies for a couple of games, I truely believe he is finally getting rid of the "it's Cov innit" attitude which has prevailed for all too long.

I was just about to edit my quote to add something like the above,

The Reverend Skyblue

I disagree with some who thought that before he came we had the best squad in this league, but i do agree he has turned under-peforming,disinterested and lethargic players, into players that now show the fight and desire essential for a succesful team. He then jelled them altogether into a strong fighting unit who play good attacking football.

How has he done this, i feel he has man managed each player perfectly, and given them the confidence to go out there and play to their strenghs. I like also he won't take any crap from the likes of Hussey, who thought our position before he came had absolutely nothing to do with him, doing this sends a message to the rest of the squad that they are all replaceable if they throw there dummys out their prams like he did.Its a team game and he needs everyone pulling in the right direction, as even just one bad apple will cause damage to the teams spirit

He will weed out the chuff, and bring in some quality players who will fight for the shirt, as he expects nothing else, and i feel more positive about us now that i have for many many years.

The Rev

Last edited:

Grendel

Robins football manager genius or man who inherited one of if not the best squad in this division with the best striker.

Added 5 signings 3 of whom have turned out to be excellent. Two not so great.

Is our surge towards the play offs what this squad should be doing anyway, or is it a miracle and he has transformed a bunch of average good for nothing's into an amazing team.

What does Robins history as a manager suggest. Miracle worker, good manager, or a manager achieving what he should.

I think very good manager getting the best out of this s very good squad and when DMC goes and his replacement Leon starts scoring And we go up he will still be a very good manager.

It has nothing to do with the squad and everything to do with the manager.

Who are the two form teams in the division and what do they both have in common?

ICHAN

Think he has got rid of the it doesn't matter attitude like Scotty says above, the players are no longer guarenteed to start no matter how they perform.
He has made them a team and not a team of individuals as far as I can see where they will work and fight for each other ala 87, and if they don't tow the line or perform to what Robin's wants and expects then their in trouble.
It maybe a small thing but like the fine's they get for making mistakes etc, may be insignificant in a way but lets the players know where they stand, Robins won't stand for second best, he is after all from a team where second best doesnt exist and winning matters, long may it continue.

sky blue john

Robbins was my vote on all the polls i don't mind admitting that fact. i could not understand the majority of our fans wanting dennis Wise but could not back their argument with anything other than he would kick the players up the backside.
Tactically Robins has shown more ability than our previous five managers put together.
Coleman had the money and squad available to get us back in the prem but he fucked it up

coop

u can buy all the ingredients to make a lovely meal but if you carnt cook then it will be horrible.

stupot07

I disagree with some who thought that before he came we had the best squad in this league, but i do agree he has turned under-peforming,disinterested and lethargic players, into players that now show the fight and desire essential for a succesful team. He then jelled them altogether into a strong fighting unit who play good attacking football.

How has he done this, i feel he has man managed each player perfectly, and given them the confidence to go out there and play to their strenghs. I like also he won't take any crap from the likes of Hussey, who thought our position before he came had absolutely nothing to do with them, doing this sends a message to the rest of the squad that they are all replaceable if they throw there dummys out their prams like he did.Its a team game and he needs everyone pulling in the right direction, as even just one bad apple will cause damage to the teams spirit

He will weed out the chuff, and bring in some quality players who will fight for the shirt, as he expects nothing else, and i feel more positive about us now that i have for many many years.

The Rev

Completely agree. Our first 11 is pretty good but the squad is still lacking in a number of departments an hasn't really even tested yet other than the odd game as none of the first 11 have been injured since he took over.

SBS

I think he inherited a squad with technical skill, but woeful fitness and confidence. The fitness took a little while to improve, the first four games we looked like a team playing with a hangover after the party and pissabout with Thorn and Shaw.

Since it's clicked, it's been nothing but a joy to watch. The home form could be improved, but it's like a library its so empty and quiet. Hopefully tomorrow there will be a few more there making a noise. Our away form is good because we have a decent and vocal away following. We look like we're playing on edge at home, but we look confident away - I honestly think that is because of the support.

Nick

Administrator
I have always said (even last season) our squad wasn't actually that bad. Robins seems to have come in and got the best out of them.

Grendel

The top two form teams in the league are brentford and Leyton orient

The 2 teams who have risen through the league since a dreadful start are Bournemouth and Coventry.

What changed their fortunes do you think?

Skyblueweeman

I think he's worked a miracle given the off the field distractions. I'm into lists at the moment (the missus rubbing off on me...no jokes there lads :whistle:) -

* The main thing has been the mentality of the players. Truly miraculous that they were so low on confidence now brimming with it.
* The fact that he's seemingly getting the best out of players such as Baker, Sheff and Fleck. Perhaps once Bell is eventually fit we might see a new DB?!
* Tactically sound so that we get the best of out the players up top (McG being the only real example). The right formation/tactics has enabled us to ensure McG is in the right place at the right time and we're getting the ball to him effectively.
* We're not reliant on one player scoring. More goals coming from midfield than they have done in years.
* Smashing the losing mentality. If we go a goal behind (no biggy). We'll just score two...at least.

To be fair, I could go on but need to start drinking Lager Beer for NYE. Good work Mark Robins. You've brought smiles to many, many CCFC fans...something that's truly been missing for years. And years.

Happy New Year,

WM

dongonzalos

The 2 teams who have risen through the league since a dreadful start are Bournemouth and Coventry.

What changed their fortunes do you think?

Getting rid of Richard shaw after 4 defeats on the bounce for cov and bringing in a top manager in MR
Bournemouth bringing back a legend Howe.
For Leyton and brentford the only teams on better form than us, haven't got a clue maybe consistency and no off field disruptions

Last edited:

Grendel

Getting rid of Richard shaw after 4 defeats on the bounce for cov and bringing in a top manager in MR
Bournemouth bringing back a legend Howe.
For Leyton and brentford the only teams on better form than us, haven't got a clue maybe consistency and no off field disruptions

So lets be clear on the point of this discussion. Do you think Andy thorn and mark robins are of equal stature in managerial quality?

dongonzalos

So lets be clear on the point of this discussion. Do you think Andy thorn and mark robins are of equal stature in managerial quality?

I have never said that.

I can judge Robins as he has had at least 10 games with this squad of which it does not have kids playing their first season, it is in league one and it is a bloody good squad. Robins is doing with this squad what he should be doing IMO at the moment he is a very good manager.

Thorn I saw him take over from Boothroyd with what was an ok squad then. I felt he was a good manager then.

Next season I felt we were going to go down after what SISU did especially after January and I felt thorn did ok with what he was dealt and was surprised we were not relegated sooner.

The signings of nimley and Norwood prolonged ghe inevitable.

The question is was Thorn ability to spot a good player hiding his managerial ability.

This season I was ready to finally judge him.

He got 4 games in which he had one bad result a draw to bury.

I think it is very hard to judge a manager over 4 games.

I think Robins from the start would have had this squad in the top two. I also feel AT would also have done so.

Robins possibly 1st and by more points.

I feel allowing a manager to sign 9/10 players then sacking him after 4 matches created the instability that cost us automatic promotion this season.

Do I think we will be better off with Robins long term from what I have seen this season probably.

Please don't criticise me for discussing AT I am merely answering a direct question about him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I have never said that.

I can judge Robins as he has had at least 10 games with this squad of which it does not have kids playing their first season, it is in league one and it is a bloody good squad. Robins is doing with this squad what he should be doing IMO at the moment he is a very good manager.

Thorn I saw him take over from Boothroyd with what was an ok squad then. I felt he was a good manager then.

Next season I felt we were going to go down after what SISU did especially after January and I felt thorn did ok with what he was dealt and was surprised we were not relegated sooner.

The signings of nimley and Norwood prolonged ghe inevitable.

The question is was Thorn ability to spot a good player hiding his managerial ability.

This season I was ready to finally judge him.

He got 4 games in which he had one bad result a draw to bury.

I think it is very hard to judge a manager over 4 games.

I think Robins from the start would have had this squad in the top two. I also feel AT would also have done so.

Robins possibly 1st and by more points.

I feel allowing a manager to sign 9/10 players then sacking him after 4 matches created the instability that cost us automatic promotion this season.

Do I think we will be better off with Robins long term from what I have seen this season probably.

Please don't criticise me for discussing AT I am merely answering a direct question about him.
Lets face it, I still sympathise with Thorn. He was given shit support from the owners in the championship and had the least cooperative chairman in Deluded, I don't hold him responsible for relegation and I think it was odd to let him recruit and then sack him early, if they didn't have faith in him he should have been gone after relegation. I think he tried his best and had the most difficult circumstances a new manager could possibly have had

However Robins is clearly the better manager

city old boy

01 Murphy
03 Hussey
06 Malaga
24 Wood
35 Brown
08 Baker (McSheffrey - 88' )
12 Jennings
15 Kilbane
16 Barton 09 McDonald
14 Elliott (Ball - 85' )

So the worst manager in our history would have got us to the position we're in now with the team above. I don't think so

Users who are viewing this thread