Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (4 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

Ok so on your argument he is proven, but that must then mean he is proven at not being a prolific goalscorer.

Nice work.

Reread my posts.

What does a ‘proven’ striker even mean? People were saying McNulty was ‘unproven’ at L2 yet he’d scored 58 goals before joining us — that turned out to be a half-decent signing.

Chaplin is 21, has made 104 appearances with 22 goals, that’s a 1 in 5 striker. That’s a decent ratio and most of goals and appearances have been off the bench (73 sub appearances) — there’s probably some untapped potential there. He scored 11 goals for Portsmouth the season McNulty was there (who, for context, scored 13) and 8 the season they got promoted — he was involved in a title winning side. Last season, he got 5 in 26ish — was behind the second top goalscorer in Pitman (24gls). He’s done this by 21, which isn’t too shabby at all. If a club gives him a chance, he could thrive, much like McNulty, someone who hadn’t really been given a chance anywhere.

To avoid confusion, an ‘unproven’ striker would probably be something similar to one of the many experimental loans we’ve had over the last 2-3 seasons. Armstrong was an unproven talent, and whilst he was good, you have the Agyei’s and Andre Wright’s that were really bad signings. That’s what I have in mind as an ‘unproven’ player, someone with very little to no first team experience in any league. Not a player who’s made 100+ appearances and 22 goals at L1 and L2 standard.

wingy

Hi, Pompey supporter here again. I should have ended that bit of drivel that I posted by saying that £600000 would represent a gamble by your club but one that I think would pay off if Chaplin is used in the best way for him in your team.
Thanks for your input Mr Fisher.

Reactions: vow

junglej13

The Portsmouth commentator... A guy Andrew Moon for those on twitter reckons the last bid which was rejected was substantially bigger than the first one. He thinks Pompey now may want to get a replacement in before selling. Personally I think the next bid will be accepted probably tomorrow. It sounds as though Chaplin has been sounded out and wants the move.

Captain Dart

The Portsmouth commentator... A guy Andrew Moon for those on twitter reckons the last bid which was rejected was substantially bigger than the first one. He thinks Pompey now may want to get a replacement in before selling. Personally I think the next bid will be accepted probably tomorrow. It sounds as though Chaplin has been sounded out and wants the move.

Brighton Sky Blue

Reread my posts.

What does a ‘proven’ striker even mean? People were saying McNulty was ‘unproven’ at L2 yet he’d scored 58 goals before joining us — that turned out to be a half-decent signing.

Chaplin is 21, has made 104 appearances with 22 goals, that’s a 1 in 5 striker. That’s a decent ratio and most of goals and appearances have been off the bench (73 sub appearances) — there’s probably some untapped potential there. He scored 11 goals for Portsmouth the season McNulty was there (who, for context, scored 13) and 8 the season they got promoted — he was involved in a title winning side. Last season, he got 5 in 26ish — was behind the second top goalscorer in Pitman (24gls). He’s done this by 21, which isn’t too shabby at all. If a club gives him a chance, he could thrive, much like McNulty, someone who hadn’t really been given a chance anywhere.

To avoid confusion, an ‘unproven’ striker would probably be something similar to one of the many experimental loans we’ve had over the last 2-3 seasons. Armstrong was an unproven talent, and whilst he was good, you have the Agyei’s and Andre Wright’s that were really bad signings. That’s what I have in mind as an ‘unproven’ player, someone with very little to no first team experience in any league. Not a player who’s made 100+ appearances and 22 goals at L1 and L2 standard.

Problem is of course that if he doesn't get the goals, I don't see where else we get them from. We simply have to trust MR's scouting and assessment which has generally been reliable and with JCH as an exception recruitment has been good so far. We haven't spent this much on a player since the heady days of Cody McDonald so one presumes Robins has done his homework.

Pete in Portugal

McNultys goal record was hardly breathtaking before he joined tbf

Exactly - we took a chance with McNulty, based on Robins judgement, and it paid off. There's always a degree of risk when signing new players, but I trust Robins judgement to get it right most of the time - but there'll always be some who disappoint (e.g. Vincenti).

Warwickhunt

Robins hopefully has other irons in the fire because the season is starting soon and Pompey are playing silly buggers.
also sounds like the big fat coach driver from Peterborough is sticking his oar in trying to get city into a buying war! he has never forgiven Mr Squeeky for taking McNulty as he wanted him for Mansfield.

Warwickhunt

MR should leave the bidding and leave Kenny Jacket to go fuck himself! thats the twat who unsettled Clarke when he were banging them in for fun along side Wilson and turned our fortunes to shite!

pfceggchaser

You are at a huge advantage in terms of winning the race for Chaplin. Bristol Rovers and Barnsley reported interest is very loose at this stage. They have bid, but they are rumoured to be lower bids than what you initially put in - very much a case of them testing the water. Their interest is really only going to get serious if Ellis Harrison and Tom Bradshaw are sold respectively. Though Bradshaw to Millwall is close, and Barnsley might be able to offer Chaplin more money, there is a debate as to whether Chaplin would play regularly there which isn't what he wants. He would for sure play at Bristol Rovers, and gets on very well with Kyle Bennett who is there now, but they are fighting to hold on to Harrison as a priority, so it's a long way from materialising. Peterborough are apparently wanting 2 forwards too but need to sell Marriott first, and want a big target man as a priority (Charlie Wyke possibly).

With yourselves having already sold McNulty, and Chaplin being a very similar style player, I think Chaplin knows he will play if he signs for you and wants the move to Coventry for that reason. Plus he knows Doyle and Davies well and gets on with them. I suspect if you agree a fee (and I reckon one is very close to being agreed) Chaplin will be a Cov player, regardless of competition.

All the talk at our end about 'Eisa being a contingency option should you offer money too good to turn down' is bluster though I think...that's who Jackett wants and is he's prepared to let Chaplin go to fund it, providing the club get a fee that allow us to make that move. Eisa's pace and his flexibility to play wide is something we don't have at all, and from day one this window, signing someone like that has been a priority. It may be that a deal being rubber stamped is held up until we've got our replacement (Eisa or whoever else), but I think Pompey are trying to get a deal in place for an incoming now, so it all goes through pretty seamlessly.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Problem is of course that if he doesn't get the goals, I don't see where else we get them from. We simply have to trust MR's scouting and assessment which has generally been reliable and with JCH as an exception recruitment has been good so far. We haven't spent this much on a player since the heady days of Cody McDonald so one presumes Robins has done his homework.

Every signing represents a risk and this is no different. If Robins is willing to pay a lot of money for Chaplin, then he clearly rates him and thinks he’ll get us goals. That’s his job after all and, as you say, his recruitment has been good thus far. Whilst I disagree with JCH being the exception, I’d say Vincenti and his loanees in January — but our points remain the same nonetheless. This particular transfer target seems like he’d be a decent signing, young and is perhaps in need of a club to take a chance like we did with McNulty. Either way, I trust Robins.

Reading has taken a risk on McNulty because L2 to Championship is a huge step up, hopefully, he’s more le Fondre than Cody McDonald. Personally, I’m not sure if McNulty would’ve hit over 15-17 goals this season and it’s certainly not a guarantee that Doidge or Eisa could make the step-up for the money they’d command. Some players just find their level.

Last edited:

SkyBlueCRJ

You are at a huge advantage in terms of winning the race for Chaplin. Bristol Rovers and Barnsley reported interest is very loose at this stage. They have bid, but they are rumoured to be lower bids than what you initially put in - very much a case of them testing the water. Their interest is really only going to get serious if Ellis Harrison and Tom Bradshaw are sold respectively. Though Bradshaw to Millwall is close, and Barnsley might be able to offer Chaplin more money, there is a debate as to whether Chaplin would play regularly there which isn't what he wants. He would for sure play at Bristol Rovers, and gets on very well with Kyle Bennett who is there now, but they are fighting to hold on to Harrison as a priority, so it's a long way from materialising. Peterborough are apparently wanting 2 forwards too but need to sell Marriott first, and want a big target man as a priority (Charlie Wyke possibly).

With yourselves having already sold McNulty, and Chaplin being a very similar style player, I think Chaplin knows he will play if he signs for you and wants the move to Coventry for that reason. Plus he knows Doyle and Davies well and gets on with them. I suspect if you agree a fee (and I reckon one is very close to being agreed) Chaplin will be a Cov player, regardless of competition.

All the talk at our end about 'Eisa being a contingency option should you offer money too good to turn down' is bluster though I think...that's who Jackett wants and is he's prepared to let Chaplin go to fund it, providing the club get a fee that allow us to make that move. Eisa's pace and his flexibility to play wide is something don't have at all, and from day one this window, signing someone like that has been a priority. It may be that a deal being rubber stamped is held up until we've got our replacement (Eisa or whoever else), but I think Pompey are trying to get a deal in place for an incoming now, so it all goes through pretty seamlessly.

I'd be surprised if we were beaten to it by Bristol Rovers, or Barnsley for that matter. A source tells me Bristol Rovers are struggling financially at the moment, with playing staff and the board becoming frustrated with their owners due to them constantly delivering false promises in relation to the lack of significant investment in the transfer budget. So, I can't see them making a significant bid of any sorts. Admittedly, Barnsley are a threat but I could only see them making any significant bid once the Bradshaw deal goes through - with talks still ongoing though we have the time to beat them to it. Their wage budget is undoubtably going to be higher so realistically they could offer him more money. But even so there's no guarantees he'd start there, whereas Chaplin will have that assurance here and like you said the Doyle and Davies factor may be the final piece in the puzzle for him that pushes him over the line to sign on with us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Administrator

All the talk at our end about 'Eisa being a contingency option should you offer money too good to turn down' is bluster though I think...that's who Jackett wants and is he's prepared to let Chaplin go to fund it, providing the club get a fee that allow us to make that move. Eisa's pace and his flexibility to play wide is something don't have at all, and from day one this window, signing someone like that has been a priority. It may be that a deal being rubber stamped is held up until we've got our replacement (Eisa or whoever else), but I think Pompey are trying to get a deal in place for an incoming now, so it all goes through pretty seamlessly.

Strange how they both put bids in while negotiating with us isn't it?

What's going on at your end? Sounds like a lot of pissing about ;)

runner

Don't think we should be over bidding on this 'unproven' striker ... £600k, if that's true, has got to be more than enough ... that's 1/2 the McNulty money ... have to be careful here ... would have preferred us to go out there and spend the full £1.2m on another striker, that was a proven striker ... not that there are many of them around sadly ... hence the disappointment that McNulty asked to go ... and subsequently, we had to let him.

shmmeee

Really not happy with gambling such a large sum on a kid who can’t get in the Pompey team.

Has echoes of us spunking the McSheffrey money on McKenzie

Sky Blue Harry H

Really not happy with gambling such a large sum on a kid who can’t get in the Pompey team.

Has echoes of us spunking the McSheffrey money on McKenzie
Had to take a tea break, to get over the ''spunking the McSheffrey' phrase. Not even midday yet - wash your mouth out sir!

pfceggchaser

Strange how they both put bids in while negotiating with us isn't it?

What's going on at your end? Sounds like a lot of pissing about ;)
Bottom line is we want to sell Chaplin to fund the Eisa deal (despite the bluster in our local press that we are desperate to keep him and anyone who comes in is a contingency replacement). Despite his obvious talent, Chaplin is too similar in style to Pitman and won't get in front of him here (Pitman was the best striker in this league last season for his all round game and goals, and would have scored 10 more had we a better midfield). Whereas someone like Eisa offers us a different type of forward, hence why Chaplin has suddenly become dispensable, because we know he'll generate interest. Not necessarily that we want to sell a good young player, which is why a good percentage of fans are in up roar about it. We've already got a significant chunk of the fee we'll reportedly need for Eisa from the Webster sell on, so I think Jackett's plan is to use Chaplin as the final makeweight. That's the only fee we are looking to spend this summer.

Bristol Rovers and Barnsley are interested but have put in what can only be described as 'token bids' in an attempt to find out themselves what he will go for, but as I mentioned, their bids will not become serious until Harrison and Bradshaw have been sold. A bit of a domino effect if you like. Bristol Rovers want to keep Harrison badly and whilst Bradshaw is likely to go to Millwall, whether Chaplin would be a starter there is another question, which would make you a preferred destination for him. Chaplin fits the profile of the striker you are looking for - plays a very similar game to McNulty - and you have already sold sparky to Reading, so there is a need already if you like. We know the price we are after I suspect, as we know what price we'll need to pay for a replacement. Again, the domino effect.

I think a deal will get done as I say. The fee isn't a million miles away now, and it will be yourselves Chaplin ends up signing for, much to the dismay of our fans on social media who will have lost 'one of their own'. There'll be big pressure on KJ if this deal backfires.

Otis

Bottom line is we want to sell Chaplin to fund the Eisa deal (despite the bluster in our local press that we are desperate to keep him and anyone who comes in is a contingency replacement). Despite his obvious talent, Chaplin is too similar in style to Pitman and won't get in front of him here (Pitman was the best striker in this league last season for his all round game and goals, and would have scored 10 more had we a better midfield). Whereas someone like Eisa offers us a different type of forward, hence why Chaplin has suddenly become dispensable, because we know he'll generate interest. Not necessarily that we want to sell a good young player, which is why a good percentage of fans are in up roar about it. We've already got a significant chunk of the fee we'll reportedly need for Eisa from the Webster sell on, so I think Jackett's plan is to use Chaplin as the final makeweight. That's the only fee we are looking to spend this summer.

Bristol Rovers and Barnsley are interested but have put in what can only be described as 'token bids' in an attempt to find out themselves what he will go for, but as I mentioned, their bids will not become serious until Harrison and Bradshaw have been sold. A bit of a domino effect if you like. Bristol Rovers want to keep Harrison badly and whilst Bradshaw is likely to go to Millwall, whether Chaplin would be a starter there is another question, which would make you a preferred destination for him. Chaplin fits the profile of the striker you are looking for - plays a very similar game to McNulty - and you have already sold sparky to Reading, so there is a need already if you like. We know the price we are after I suspect, as we know what price we'll need to pay for a replacement. Again, the domino effect.

I think a deal will get done as I say. The fee isn't a million miles away now, and it will be yourselves Chaplin ends up signing for, much to the dismay of our fans on social media who will have lost 'one of their own'. There'll be big pressure on KJ if this deal backfires.
Can you do us a tiny favour? Let us have Chaplin but then DON'T go for Eisa?

Users who are viewing this thread