Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

My point is height or lack of it doesn’t matter, Terry Gibson, Michael Mifsud and David Speedie all similar size to Chaplin, I’d have any of those three in this team.

SkyBlueCRJ

My point is height or lack of it doesn’t matter, Terry Gibson, Michael Mifsud and David Speedie all similar size to Chaplin, I’d have any of those three in this team.

But I'm not actively stating that the lack of height means that Chaplin isn't a good player so again I still don't understand your point. To state the obvious, at 5"6 he's likely to struggle to get his head on the ball from a cross - hence why I said he'll need to play next to someone so they can not only do the dirty work for him, but be the threat from crosses and set pieces that Chaplin probably won't be. You effectively proved my point with mentioning Misfud. How many headers did he score? One of the reasons that made him so successful was because he had Adebola alongside him doing the dirty whilst bringing him into play, and being the target man/ariel threat for him.

Plus if you think about it logically, what's the point in crossing to a player that's 5"6 when he's up against a 6"3 defender? That's one way of gifting the ball back to the opposition on a plate.

Magwitch

But I'm not actively stating that the lack of height means that Chaplin isn't a good player so again I still don't understand your point. To state the obvious, at 5"6 he's likely to struggle to get his head on the ball from a cross - hence why I said he'll need to play next to someone so they can not only do the dirty work for him, but be the threat from crosses and set pieces that Chaplin probably won't be. You effectively proved my point with mentioning Misfud. How many headers did he score? One of the reasons that made him so successful was because he had Adebola alongside him doing the dirty whilst bringing him into play, and being the target man/ariel threat for him.

Plus if you think about it logically, what's the point in crossing to a player that's 5"6 when he's up against a 6"3 defender? That's one way of gifting the ball back to the opposition on a plate.
Perhaps this ongoing rumour regarding Peter Crouch carries a bit of weight then !!!

Captain Dart

To teams in our division and above, by a top side in the division above.

He had a record of better than 1 in 3 for a team that was top of our league.

Are you just trolling as usual or are you that bad at comparisons?
He is actually very good at choosing which two substantially different things to compare and draw a false conclusion from.

NorthernWisdom

That said, when I edited JCH's Wiki to say that he'd signed for us on loan until the end of the season with a few to a permanent move at the end of the season, within about 5 mins some uber-geek with too much times on their hands had undone my change and I got an email telling me that I hadn't put a source-and that was for something that had actually happened! It would have taken them less time to google him and see that it was a fact than it did to undo my edit and email me about it...
On the other hand, Ryan France was a big fan of French philosophy for a good six months, while other French Philosophers survived long enough as CCFC fans and appearing in cup final pictures for me to show students how Wikipedia wasn't *overly* reliable, and they might want to read a book or two as well...

AVWskyblue

agreed, but he wont be on any more than Mcnulty
the agent fee on 350k may be 50k or so max
so if we got 1.2m for Mcnulty there is still a sizeable pot

could buy 2 more 200k players with wages + agents with the difference
I thought we could only spend 60% of the fee we got from MM under SCMP rules?

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

Greggs

McNulty will be on at least 8k-10k a week now.
Plus loads of bonuses i'd imagine. I read a bit of 'The Secret Footballer' He said most contracts were topped up with bonuses and clauses. He claimed one player had a clause that said if he scored a hat trick, he'd have to be substituted immediately after the third, so he could get a standing ovation! Shocking!

mark82

I thought we could only spend 60% of the fee we got from MM under SCMP rules?

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

Nope, no such rule. Only 60% of revenue counts towards SCMP which impacts what we are able to spend on player wages but has no bearing on what we can spend on transfer fees.

mark82

Nope, no such rule. Only 60% of revenue counts towards SCMP which impacts what we are able to spend on player wages but has no bearing on what we can spend on transfer fees.

To be clear, despite it not being made available to Robins, the James Maddison money received this year will also count toward SCMP for this period. In terms of SCMP I imagine we could have a substantial allowance this year for wages, that doesn't of course mean the club would give Robins that budget.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Could be a good signing, but not sure he is a straight replacement for McNulty. If he is then we may be disappointed, but I could be wrong. I think the general consensus is that we need another striker in along side him if we were to sign him

upload_2018-7-9_16-21-47.png

mark82

Could be a good signing, but not sure he is a straight replacement for McNulty. If he is then we may be disappointed, but I could be wrong. I think the general consensus is that we need another striker in along side him if we were to sign him

View attachment 10104

He's young and most his time on the pitch has not been as a starter it seems. I had a quick look on a Pompey forum earlier and they seem to rate him. Seemed they think they should hang onto him and give him more time on the pitch. Also seemed to be an opinion that their system didn't suit him.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He's young and most his time on the pitch has not been as a starter it seems. I had a quick look on a Pompey forum earlier and they seem to rate him. Seemed they think they should hang onto him and give him more time on the pitch. Also seemed to be an opinion that their system didn't suit him.

For sure. He is young and as we found with Armstrong, when they bloom, they really bloom.

I think our team is really solid but the striking department does worry me the way it is now. I would hate the guy to get put under so much pressure if we signed him because people thought we were getting McNulty the second. That's why I think we ideally need two players in that department to come in.

mark82

For sure. He is young and as we found with Armstrong, when they bloom, they really bloom.

I think our team is really solid but the striking department does worry me the way it is now. I would hate the guy to get put under so much pressure if we signed him because people thought we were getting McNulty the second. That's why I think we ideally need two players in that department to come in.

Yeah, agree bringing 2 in would be ideal.

Nonleagueherewecome

Just don't play them on the wing as a target for long balls like a certain Welshmen did, eh?

Nonleagueherewecome

On the other hand, Ryan France was a big fan of French philosophy for a good six months, while other French Philosophers survived long enough as CCFC fans and appearing in cup final pictures for me to show students how Wikipedia wasn't *overly* reliable, and they might want to read a book or two as well...

S'what narked me the most tbh, there are loads of inaccuracies out there, but I update Wiki for the first time ever with an actual fact and it gets deleted!

pfceggchaser

Update on this one from our end...feeling is you will get something done this week for Chaplin, possibly as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. Just to give people an idea of this move and how he might sit in the squad with other signings, because I've seen one or two mention about getting in another forward as well.

1) If you sign Chaplin, you are signing him to play week in week out, or at least with that intention to start with. I can't see yourselves spending between £300-500k on a forward for him to leave his home town team where he's already a bench player to be the same with yourselves. That's the reason he wants to leave. You may sign somebody else on top of that, but Chaplin is definitely being lined up as your main replacement for McNulty and I suspect he'll play with Biamou, who from what I've seen of him for Sutton and yourselves, is the type of player Chaplin should thrive with.

2) Pompey are wanting this deal to go through it sounds like at our end (much to the displeasure of the fans who idolise Conor as 'one of our own' and 'has never had a chance') - but it is dependent on us getting the right fee. We are trying to get in a forward to improve our squad but prices being prices for strikers means we can't afford that new forward without a certain fee being agreed. Gut instinct is we are trying to raise funds to go and sign a striker at around the £800k-£1m mark. We've netted £550k in a sell on for Adam Webster with more to potentially come based on bonuses, and that coupled with Chaplin will let Jackett go out and get a high standard striker for the level. Feeling here is we may be looking at the likes of Mo Eisa or Adam Armstrong - a pacey forward who can play wide and will cause problems. If we don't get that fee, then we don't think we can improve on Conor and won't sell it sounds like. I suspect as I said yesterday, somewhere around £400-450k will do it, though whether your board will sanction that sort of fee is another matter, despite the McNulty and Maddison money.

covcity4life

Update on this one from our end...feeling is you will get something done this week for Chaplin, possibly as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. Just to give people an idea of this move and how he might sit in the squad with other signings, because I've seen one or two mention about getting in another forward as well.

1) If you sign Chaplin, you are signing him to play week in week out, or at least with that intention to start with. I can't see yourselves spending between £300-500k on a forward for him to leave his home town team where he's already a bench player to be the same with yourselves. That's the reason he wants to leave. You may sign somebody else on top of that, but Chaplin is definitely being lined up as your main replacement for McNulty and I suspect he'll play with Biamou, who from what I've seen of him for Sutton and yourselves, is the type of player Chaplin should thrive with.

2) Pompey are wanting this deal to go through it sounds like at our end (much to the displeasure of the fans who idolise Conor as 'one of our own' and 'has never had a chance') - but it is dependent on us getting the right fee. We are trying to get in a forward to improve our squad but prices being prices for strikers means we can't afford that new forward without a certain fee being agreed. Gut instinct is we are trying to raise funds to go and sign a striker at around the £800k-£1m mark. We've netted £550k in a sell on for Adam Webster with more to potentially come based on bonuses, and that coupled with Chaplin will let Jackett go out and get a high standard striker for the level. Feeling here is we may be looking at the likes of Mo Eisa or Adam Armstrong - a pacey forward who can play wide and will cause problems. If we don't get that fee, then we don't think we can improve on Conor and won't sell it sounds like. I suspect as I said yesterday, somewhere around £400-450k will do it, though whether your board will sanction that sort of fee is another matter, despite the McNulty and Maddison money.
Thanks for the update. I am hoping this one goes through

Would love mcgoldrick or Armstrong on top though!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’ve been out of the loop with regards to Armstrong and Crouch rumours, is there any strength in either of these or is like all those years ago when we were ‘signing’ SWP

djr8369

I’ve been out of the loop with regards to Armstrong and Crouch rumours, is there any strength in either of these or is like all those years ago when we were ‘signing’ SWP

As far as I’m aware somebody said they’d heard we were signing somebody but they couldn’t divulge the name just that they were playing in the prem last season. Then people started making guesses on who it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

As far as I’m aware somebody said they’d heard we were signing somebody but they couldn’t divulge the name just that they were playing in the prem last season. Then people started making guesses on who it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, so it could be a kid that got a 30 second run out.

Limey

IF Armstrong was available for around 750k mark (unsubstantiated figure) I'd be pushing for that big time with the owners.
Guaranteed goals and better than MM imo.
No need for further buys.
Anyhows, can't see it and can't see AA wanting L1 team again.

Users who are viewing this thread