Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

I make the point again though and please someone tell me what I’m missing but shouldn’t we be aiming higher than a cast off from a club in the same league as us?

What player would you suggest that's better suited then?

Nick

Administrator
Pompey apparently after Middlesborough left winger Marcus Tavernier. Given that they're looking at wingers I'm guessing this is good news for us, considering they play left footed Chaplin on the wing.

He looked good for the England team.

fernandopartridge

I make the point again though and please someone tell me what I’m missing but shouldn’t we be aiming higher than a cast off from a club in the same league as us?

The same old shite. He isn't a cast off? If he was a cast off we'd pick him up for free. He doesn't fit with the way their manager wants to play.

As for aiming higher? Who and what could we realistically afford? Chaplin will be a gamble but an investment in a player who isn't the finished article.

mark82

If Robins believes he is the right man to replace McNulty, that's what matters. They won't be looking at stats or whether his current club value him, they'll be looking at the talent and potential that he has. At the end of the day they will have way more knowledge of the player than any of us, if they think he is the best available option within our budget then you have to trust their judgement.

mark82

The same old shite. He isn't a cast off? If he was a cast off we'd pick him up for free. He doesn't fit with the way their manager wants to play.

As for aiming higher? Who and what could we realistically afford? Chaplin will be a gamble but an investment in a player who isn't the finished article.

Exactly. He fits our system, he doesn't really fit theirs.

GaryJones

Grendel

It was Greggs who decided to use the mcwankty nickname

harvey098

TBF to Harvey he knows a striker, he wrote off that donkey McNulty last November.

Unfortunately for you, the earliest post where I even mention his name is in January and It involves me naming him in my top 3 first names on the team sheet.

Attachments

• 3C2FAF7E-48A6-43D2-92A9-6E03686EBCCC.jpeg
    3C2FAF7E-48A6-43D2-92A9-6E03686EBCCC.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 18

fernandopartridge

Eh?! Literally didn’t. I cringed every time anyone called him McWankty

Where have you got that from?

You implicitly agreed with a post where London Sky Blue or whatever he's called suggested that we get rid of McNulty in January, the evidence is damning!

As we have now played over a third of the season and we have seen the majority of the new signings play a decent amount of games. I thought it would be interesting to rate the summer signings.

Who's impressed you and who's dissapointed.

Liam Obrian - 6 ....Hasn't really had a proper run apart from two howlers I think he's been really good other than the mistakes. Good in cup games. Very good shot stopper and good distributer. Step up from RCC.

Grimmer 7.5 - Good signing, gets up and down the pitch,all energy and is strong in tackle and decent in air good solid league 2 right back. Slightly suspect defensively and positionally.

R. Ma Donald 9 - Very consistent, strong and man mountain at the back. Decent distribution too. Best summer signing. Player of the season so far.

Tom Davies 8 - judging him on a few appearances only, been very impressed. Good young age, wins good headers and again a good dominant centre back no nonsense.

D Hyam 7- Filled in admirably when Willis was unavailable so again on first few appearances, definately one for the future and great back up.

Doyle 9 - What we been missing for years. Enough said.

Kelly 7 - Good signing, started off a bit slowly but has got better and better forged an excellent partnership and understanding with Doyle. Must improve his contribution with an assist and goal or two.

Vincenti 5 - For me he has had a disappointing first third maybe because my expectations of him were high and that I expect him to win everything in the air. He has had a lot games now and I remain unconvinced how he fits into this team. He's not suited out on the wing so it's not all his fault. Decent player there but I'm not sure we get the best out of him. Had a couple of very good games but has since dropped off the pace. Subsequently his place taken by Devon Kelly Evans, who's place has since has been taken by Shipley.

McNulty 5 - Tempted to rate him lower, but I feel because of a couple niggly injuries will give him the benefit of the doubt. Been hugely disappointed, he has missed some very good chances and you can see there is a good player there but his confidence seems to be lacking. Probably on a very decent wage so would be tempted to let him go in January so we can maybe buy a different striker.

Biamou 6- Mixed feelings about Biamou, first time he was thrown in you could see he was no way ready and out his depth. But the lad has improved considerably game on game, given us some much needed physicality this season up front. Obviously goal wise in the league yet to contribute, but in my eyes has made more contributions to the team compared to McNulty. He has still a lot of improving to do and is a raw talent.

Nazon 8.5 - Good loan signing, Has skill, pace and strength. Leading goal scorer. Can frustrate and can be greedy. Definitely compliments Jones and provides that X factor.

Apologies about my grammar.

Overall Summary of Mark Robbins recruitment in the Summer, 8/10. With the budget we have I feel that's excellent.

Really hoping for our definately first top 7 finish in years. Hopefully Automatic.

YOUR RESPONSE:

Agree with the OP almost word for word. I’m also so gutted about Andreu, he was the most excited I’ve been about a signing for a long time.

harvey098

You implicitly agreed with a post where London Sky Blue or whatever he's called suggested that we get rid of McNulty in January, the evidence is damning!

YOUR RESPONSE:

I’ll happily pay £10 to charity if you find anything close to what you’re saying.

As my screenshot just shows I had him as our second most valuable player in January. Why would I want to get rid of him in the same window? You are a bit simple.

harvey098

Well actually I put “almost” word for word. I’m not going to pretend now that I remember the bit I disagreed with was the McNulty rating but I know I have always championed him

skyblueelephant76

I saw an update on a Sunderland site earlier saying that Eisa's future was going to be settled in the next 48 hrs and Portsmouth are now favourites. Just two more days to go...

Grendel

Well actually I put “almost” word for word. I’m not going to pretend now that I remember the bit I disagreed with was the McNulty rating but I know I have always championed him

Other than the FP link you never mentioned him until he started scoring goals

SkyBlueCRJ

It was only yesterday where I saw rumours that Pompey's bids were considered pathetic in comparison to Sunderland's. Now apparently they're a front-runner. Either the press haven't got a clue or Pompey have seriously upped their game.

harvey098

Other than the FP link you never mentioned him until he started scoring goals

Unlike you, I have actual friends that I talk to in real life. However, as you point out, I wasn’t publicly bemoaning McNulty on here when he wasn’t scoring like most were.

Grendel

Unlike you, I have actual friends that I talk to in real life. However, as you point out, I wasn’t publicly bemoaning McNulty on here when he wasn’t scoring like most were.

Oh I've upset you

Greggs

Let's not dwell in the past. We'll have a new striker to make imaginative witty nicknames for soon enough!

Users who are viewing this thread