Commemorative Shirt for Cyrille? (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueRuffian

Not sure who it would need to be at the club and if it's possible at all as I guess they would need a few thousand.

Anybody got any ideas on who would be best to ask?

That was Cyrille’s best goal for us, love watching it, so yeh why not??

Gaz71

That would be telling, I had no 8 and swapped for a signed cup winners shirt

Ah, nice one, I remember after the semi final in 87 Greg Downes threw his shirt into the crowd and my mate got it, then loads of people dived on him and he came out of the scrum shirtless, I always wondered why happened to that shirt.

Skyblueweeman

I'm @ccfcado on twitter. To be fair I come up with the idea of bringing out an 86/87 away shirt a while ago after buying the cup final one in the shop but never got rounds to e-mailing the club. Seeing the videos of the 87 quarter final after Cyrille passed reminded me about it. To be honest I find most retro shirts are pretty poor quality or nothing like the original (the puma 87 cup final shirt was bloody awful) but the latest one by Score Draw is pretty good.

Like I say the original idea was just to bring out a replica of that shirt because it is quite iconic and very rare as there was no replicas made at the time but I can see that some people might find making profit out of a retro shirt that Cyrille wore in slightly bad taste this soon after his passing but I was thinking that the club could donate a portion of the profits to one of the charities that Regis supported.

Just to be clear, I don’t necessarily think it’s in bad taste, I just don’t think we should bring out a top because big Cryrille has passed away.

Not bad taste, just unnecessary in my opinion, that’s all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Otis

I definitely think we shouldn't retire the shirt. Bobby Moore was West Ham, greatest English player ever, played over 500 games for them, captain of the world cup winning team. They were right to retire his iconic number 6.

Cyrills heart lied at West Brom and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think any iconic gesture such as shirt number retire needs to come from them, I feel like if we were to do it, then it's just a token gesture. We as a club need to mark his passing, if that's just today or more something like taking part in a pre season tournament with other former clubs, I don't know, but for me, a shirt retirement is too far on this occasion.
Totally agree. Wasn't advocating it as something I was championing.
George Curtis and Oggy would have been the natural choices I would have thought.

Hobo

Totally agree. Wasn't advocating it as something I was championing.
George Curtis and Oggy would have been the natural choices I would have thought.

Or George Mason who during his long career with Coventry turned down a move to Manchester United. Probably the same bit of granite George Curtis was later made from.

TakeMeHome

Anyone see the guy selling Cyrille Regis Coventry scarfs for £5 by the steps by the railway bridge?

Thought it was bad taste myself for someone to be selling them but a few people were buying them.

ajsccfc

I'm not really keen on the idea of a commemorative shirt for him to be honest, although I'm all for remaking classics generally.

Covstu

It’s great that people want to pay tribute and ultimate respect to the baggies for the statue. It’s always difficult to work out what is actually fitting tribute to the man but retiring numbers etc can get a little silly as where does it end, oggy, bugsy, Bennett? It could go on for ever

Otis

It’s great that people want to pay tribute and ultimate respect to the baggies for the statue. It’s always difficult to work out what is actually fitting tribute to the man but retiring numbers etc can get a little silly as where does it end, oggy, bugsy, Bennett? It could go on for ever
Well West Ham have only retired the one, so it's obviously only for very special players and circumstances only.

ajsccfc

I think we'll see it a little more now we're using squad numbers rather than the regular 1-11, West Ham have also retired a quite obscure high number used by that youth player who died of cancer. Man City did the same with no.23 for Marc-Vivien Foe too.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Anyone see the guy selling Cyrille Regis Coventry scarfs for £5 by the steps by the railway bridge?

Thought it was bad taste myself for someone to be selling them but a few people were buying them.
I bought one. I hoped the club would have been able to sell them for charity but I guessed it wouldn't happen otherwise I'd never consider buying from someone who was profiteering from this tragedy. I just wanted to hold the scarf up during the minute's tribute to Cyrille.

Last edited:

BackRoomRummermill

One bloke wrapped his daughter up in it and then got her to hold it out at arms length while he took a few photos.

I don’t know what to say good or bad for obvious reasons, what I will say is that someone’s passing should never be a spectacle

skyblue025

West Ham treated Bobby Moore terribly once he left. He even had to pay too go if he wanted to watch them. They only made a fuss once he had died and retired his shirt years later.

Otis

West Ham treated Bobby Moore terribly once he left. He even had to pay too go if he wanted to watch them. They only made a fuss once he had died and retired his shirt years later.
Yes, I know. I mentioned that in this thread that it was some 15 years later.

Adge

I bought two. My lad's woken up this morning and put his straight back on. You're going tell me that's disrespectful to a great man's memory? Fuck off.
I think he is more on about the seller of the scarfs!

Users who are viewing this thread