Commemorative Shirt for Cyrille? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator

Not sure who it would need to be at the club and if it's possible at all as I guess they would need a few thousand.

Anybody got any ideas on who would be best to ask?

Skyblueweeman

Would they really need a few thousand? At the risk of sounding harsh, Cyrille was a legend on and off the pitch but I don't think we should be bringing out commemorative shirts when a past player passes.

Would we bring out a commemorative GK top when Oggy visits the big man upstairs?

I think what I've just typed sounds awful...it's not meant to sound as bad as it reads...I just don't see why we'd need to do this.

ceetee

Not sure who it would need to be at the club and if it's possible at all as I guess they would need a few thousand.

Perhaps that could be our next away shirt again.
I rather like it and it would be an appropriate recognition. I know other players have passed on and more will, but few of them have the legend status that Cyrille deserves

skybluesam66

I think a true cyrille recognition would be
Front - 4 quarters of the midlands clubs he played for
Back the England 1982 shirt

NortonSkyBlue

Nothing against the idea at all. I would certainly purchase it, but it's a big risk and the one who takes it has to be prepared to lose big and at best gain very little.

Gaz71

There is a replica of that shirt being sold on eBay,
57cd7510dc597c57068d3f9d734f99bf.jpg

Gaz71

I looked at these but they appear to be really shit quality with our (new) badge ironed on. Anybody bought one?

They look ok to me, I don’t think that shirt ever went on sale originally but I’ve got an original triple sport Home shirt and that badge was ironed on, aren’t most kits badges stuck on now?

Liquid Gold

They look ok to me, I don’t think that shirt ever went on sale originally but I’ve got an original triple sport Home shirt and that badge was ironed on, aren’t most kits badges stuck on now?
But the badge is the modern stripped back one that they introduced a few years ago. I haven't seen one in person but from the page it looks like a cheap knock off from a mile away.

Gaz71

But the badge is the modern stripped back one that they introduced a few years ago. I haven't seen one in person but from the page it looks like a cheap knock off from a mile away.

Well I’m going to buy one so I’ll let you know, looking at the badge the only difference is one has a black elephant and the other has a gold elephant, the other details are identical?

Liquid Gold

Well I’m going to buy one so I’ll let you know, looking at the badge the only difference is one has a black elephant and the other has a gold elephant, the other details are identical?

The badge on the top, and that we current use, is the one on the left but our badge at the time, and up to the mid/late 2000s is the one on the right.
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 18.28.36.png Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 18.29.03.png

If I was going to buy some knock off that a bloke made in his shed off eBay I'd at least want it to look like the real thing.

wingy

After a lot of pressure from football fans.
PL clubs were not actually interested in doing anything.
Have a feeling If the PL had been formed in the mid 80's they wouldn't have needed cajoling.
Doesn’t fit their profile of No History prior to it's inception bit like BC-AD.
Before Cyrille after Dion lol.

Nick

Administrator
Thinking about it, they already do other retro shirts so it could just be one of those.

Hobo

A really great man. Great idea. But product really needs to be a top quality shirt. Addidas quality. If you bought one you would want it to last forever.

Otis

Have we ever retired a shirt number? Don't believe we have. Other clubs have in the past I believe. West Ham and number 6 (Bobby Moore) for instance.

Can't see it happening so much these days with the lack of loyalty and constant changing of clubs.

Would it be worthy for the City to retire the number 9 shirt in honour of Cyrille?

Maybe we will retire the number 1 once Oggy pops his clogs.

NortonSkyBlue

Have we ever retired a shirt number? Don't believe we have. Other clubs have in the past I believe. West Ham and number 6 (Bobby Moore) for instance.

Can't see it happening so much these days with the lack of loyalty and constant changing of clubs.

Would it be worthy for the City to retire the number 9 shirt in honour of Cyrille?

Maybe we will retire the number 1 once Oggy pops his clogs.
Whist Cyrille Regis was an excellent man and a good player his heart was at West Brom, nothing wrong with that.
The biggest tangible show of respect our fans can show for such an iconic figure is to get up to the Ricoh on a regular basis and support the team.
I am not disputing his contribution to our club nor to football.

Otis

Retiring shirt numbers is up there with one of the things I hate most in sport!
Why?

You think it was wrong for West Ham to retire Bobby Moore's number 6 shirt?

I am sure there are some rather inane and token gestures around in the game, but retiring Bobby Moore's shirt number after the service he gave that club was admirable I would say.

What was wrong in West Ham retiring Bobby Moore's shirt? You hate the fact that West Ham retired Bobby Moore's shirt?

Malaka

I'm pretty sure that shirt used to be mine

Fergusons_Beard

That remake on eNay is shite quality-but I honestly don’t think CIty would produce any better.

The one thing that WOULD shift kits is REGIS and 9 were on the back.

Also why the fuck would we reissue a crappy away kit when they could reissue the classic early Umbro home kit?

8340068407cdfabdbba038d2cfb9f0fb.jpg

Cyrille wore this for more years than the shit Triple S bollox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NortonSkyBlue

Why?

You think it was wrong for West Ham to retire Bobby Moore's number 6 shirt?

I am sure there are some rather inane and token gestures around in the game, but retiring Bobby Moore's shirt number after the service he gave that club was admirable I would say.

What was wrong in West Ham retiring Bobby Moore's shirt? You hate the fact that West Ham retired Bobby Moore's shirt?
I think it was right for West Ham to retire his shirt, just a generation too late.

Otis

I think it was right for West Ham to retire his shirt, just a generation too late.
Agree. Why they waited 15 years to retire his shirt I will never understand.

It was a great mark of respect. It is something that should be a rarity though, retiring shirt numbers, and think for the most part it is just that.

Would they really need a few thousand? At the risk of sounding harsh, Cyrille was a legend on and off the pitch but I don't think we should be bringing out commemorative shirts when a past player passes.

Would we bring out a commemorative GK top when Oggy visits the big man upstairs?

I think what I've just typed sounds awful...it's not meant to sound as bad as it reads...I just don't see why we'd need to do this.

I'm @ccfcado on twitter. To be fair I come up with the idea of bringing out an 86/87 away shirt a while ago after buying the cup final one in the shop but never got rounds to e-mailing the club. Seeing the videos of the 87 quarter final after Cyrille passed reminded me about it. To be honest I find most retro shirts are pretty poor quality or nothing like the original (the puma 87 cup final shirt was bloody awful) but the latest one by Score Draw is pretty good.

Like I say the original idea was just to bring out a replica of that shirt because it is quite iconic and very rare as there was no replicas made at the time but I can see that some people might find making profit out of a retro shirt that Cyrille wore in slightly bad taste this soon after his passing but I was thinking that the club could donate a portion of the profits to one of the charities that Regis supported.

Marty

I definitely think we shouldn't retire the shirt. Bobby Moore was West Ham, greatest English player ever, played over 500 games for them, captain of the world cup winning team. They were right to retire his iconic number 6.

Cyrills heart lied at West Brom and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think any iconic gesture such as shirt number retire needs to come from them, I feel like if we were to do it, then it's just a token gesture. We as a club need to mark his passing, if that's just today or more something like taking part in a pre season tournament with other former clubs, I don't know, but for me, a shirt retirement is too far on this occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread