Coleman sacked (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter TrevorsathisPeake
  • Start date

smileycov

Facebook User
i do believe steve cotterill is also a front runner!!

Steve1974

To be honest I am in two minds about the sacking. I think Coleman did a good job with vertually no money given. And with what money he did get he got some good players. But on the other hand 11 games without a win?? how does hes explain that one.

If Coventry are to get anywhere the board has to release money for players and a bloody excellent manager. People keep saying about them getting to the prem, but lets face it thats not going to happen untill money is spent. I know its a business but you need to spend money to make money AND with football getting people in the ground. Which, lets face it, is not going to happen untill you get a manager like Jimmy Hill - who when came to the club and basically said "Its my way or no way".

Who will want to manage a club that will only take and take and not give?

Good luck to Coleman! he did a good Job and will be missed.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Im not to keen on giving Curbishley the job,he did well at Charlton but left West Ham in a right state,spending huge transfer fees and huge contracts on very average players,just dont think he's suited to what we need,add to that that i dont think he'd be intrested anyway.As i said earlier Dennis Wise for me,if not then Mowbray.
I've been happy with every single one of our last managerial appointments as i think most of us have and they've all failed miserably,so maybe if an unpoular choice gets the job it could work out.I remeber when Pearson was one of the faves to take over from Dowie,none of us was keen,most if not all of us wanted Coleman,look how its ended up!

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I'm still kinda in 2 minds over the sacking, I liked Coleman and he's always had my support 100% but I think in the end Ranson made the right choice because so many people weren't renewing their season tickets which made me worried.. To those who said they aren't renewing before today, now Coleman has gone will you renew????

As for the new boss I really hope we don't get Mowbray who seems to be a favourite at the minute. Sure he got West Brom promoted but I think a monkey could do that job - his true potential came out in the prem where they always finished rock bottom under him. Then Celtic were dreadful with him in charge. I don't fancy Curbishley either and I don't know why so many people rate him so much. I would rather have Phil Brown over Mowbray, got Hull promoted and they managed to stay up in their first season which is more then Mowbray can say. My number 1 choice would be Eric Black but would he come back? He didn't want to come back last time but we have a new hierarchy now from the ones that treated him like shit last time. Heard Dennis Wise mentioned on here, I think I will sit on the fence on that one, I just don't know! Same with Paul Ince, I'm not really sure on that one but I would prefer Wise over Ince. Saw that McCallister was on the list of candidates as well but although he is a sky blues legend I think he would be a backwards step now after last time.

Summary
  • The manager I want to get the job is Eric Black
  • The manager I think will get the job is Phil Brown
  • I don't want Mowbray, Curbs or McCallister
I also think Ranson might pluck someone from one of the lower divisions who wants a chance to prove themself like Barnsley did with Robins.

Also, thanks for the past couple of seasons or so Cookie - hasn't worked out the way we all wanted it to but we have had some good times - Chelsea FA Cup, beating Leicester on your debut game, 10 minutes in the top 6 v Cardiff, getting our first point at the crisp bowl and more.

???????????'s Sky Blue Army

PUSB

RytonCalum

I'd much rather have Mowbray than Brown, okay he didn't do very well in the Prem but he clearly didn't get much money from the board, and he signed some quality players in the championship (Dorrans, Morrisson etc). Celtic's also a tough place to go, as teams approach you differently and i wouldn't really hold that against him with it not working out there. He also plays some of the best football around which win lose or draw will be more entertaining than the crap we've had recently. This would be a good time to bring him in aswell as hes got the summer to bring in a couple of players who suit him, it would be nice for someone to buy a midfielder who can pass! The only worry is he sometimes sacrifices defensive quality for his footballing philosophy, but he's definately the most exciting prospect out of the names flying around at the moment in my opinion.

RytonCalum

Haha i know, and Dublin was a weird one, hes too busy perfecting his 'Dube'!
I also saw Mourinho at 500/1 on one site ;)

hsccfc

haa, Mourinho is the sort of character that would come to a club like this for the hell of it.

we can only pray..... ;)

SuperFred

Peter Reid anyone? ;)

On a serious note, I would love to see Dennis Wise as our next manager!! Eric Black would be my next choice but I can't see him leaving Steve Bruce

Skybluerhys

Glad to see him go, also glad Mr Ray Ranson will make big choices

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
All these names will be thrown around and I'm sure more will be added to the mix as we go but if we're to believe Ranson, then I can't see a decision being made until at least mid May. Just after the early bird finishes on Season Tickets probably!

I don't know who I'd like to see as manager, because whenever I've liked a new manager things seem to go south!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I'd much rather have Mowbray than Brown, okay he didn't do very well in the Prem but he clearly didn't get much money from the board, and he signed some quality players in the championship (Dorrans, Morrisson etc). Celtic's also a tough place to go, as teams approach you differently and i wouldn't really hold that against him with it not working out there. He also plays some of the best football around which win lose or draw will be more entertaining than the crap we've had recently. This would be a good time to bring him in aswell as hes got the summer to bring in a couple of players who suit him, it would be nice for someone to buy a midfielder who can pass! The only worry is he sometimes sacrifices defensive quality for his footballing philosophy, but he's definately the most exciting prospect out of the names flying around at the moment in my opinion.

This is also the guy who spent 2.5 million on our beloved Leon Barnett

covsteve

Ranson is quoted as saying that whoever comes in has to work with the current backrrom staff, what worries me is Steve Harrison worked under Gareth Southgate at middlesboro, please god not southgate :eek:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Out of the background staff I'd only keep Oggy. To be honest I think Ranson might be being clever here because if Coleman gets a new job he might want Harrison as his number 2 and take him off our hands so we don't have to pay his contract off unnecessarily for the time being :)

Paul H

Liked Coleman but unfortunately he wasnt taking us forward, so I guess time to go

For me Mowbray or McAllister are the preferred choices. Just hope its not Jewell or O'Dreary

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
I don't think Ranson's being clever, I think he genuinely wants to keep the backroom staff, and I don't blame him.
Harrison work's well with the players, and a lot of them willingly go to him about stuff.

Lets hope that whoever the new manager is, they all get on!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I don't think Ranson's being clever, I think he genuinely wants to keep the backroom staff, and I don't blame him.
Harrison work's well with the players, and a lot of them willingly go to him about stuff.

Lets hope that whoever the new manager is, they all get on!

Not sure how you personally know this but I never meet the players or staff myself but if this is the case then fair enough. I'm not a fan of keeping backroom staff once the manager has gone with the exception of Oggy who should stay forever!

RytonCalum

Heard a lot of good things about Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, got them promotion with no resources. Although he is Bournemouth through and through and only 32 which is stupidly young but looks like the top lower league manager at the moment.

WilloVsToon

I'm not that dissapointed that coleman has been sacked, like most others I think he's a nice bloke but nice doesn't always cut it in football and we certainly weren't progressing.

The "playoff run" was uncomfortable. I said to fellow sky blues that I would be very happy with 10th place finish and they said "10th? no way we can finish higher." Aside from the fact that we were winning, the cracks were allready showing. Very little genine pace, no off the ball runs at all, endless sideways passing, creeky defence with too many names to choose from, players out of position, emergency loans....despite the scrappy wins I wasnt happy about these and thought we didnt deserve a playoff place.

Ranson has had to be ruthless with this, and its come at a crucial time. it really makes the statement after losing 4-0 at home on the final day and not playing your veteran local defender for his last game.

so anyway....ramble ramble ramble...

New manager.

Mowbray would bit excellent in my opinion but as has been mentioned - can he navigate a team to glory with no money? I still think he would command respect in a way coleman perhaps hasnt/didnt. His brand of football is far more attractive as well.

Eddie Howe i dont know much about but from what I've heard he is set for a bright future in management. We know Ranson likes "young" managers and if we are keeping the squad relatively young as well then he could be a good shout. Inexperience though could be an issue.

Gary Megson NO
Phil Brown NO NO
Paul Jewell PLEEASE NO

Gary mac apparently on to boro

one name who nobody has mentioned yet who I think would be a real punt is Paul Peshcisolido. Derby nabbed Nigel Clough from Burton and although he hasnt set pride park alight, he hasnt completley failed. Obviously the clough connection was a major reason for that but I would be interested to hear what other fans would reckon to PP. Again like Howe very inexperienced as a manager. Burton dont have proper training facilities. Saw on late kick off they play boxing and cricket as part of training. He also got sprayed by a water sprinkler recently which was quite hilarious.

anyway, before this post gets any longer....

Come on Ranson lets have it! :p

skyblueprincess

Ok ok ok hate me if you wish but i have to have my say ... Chris Coleman should not have been sacked in my eyes , mark my word you will all be moaning this time next year bout who ever they bring in to replace him , im gonna grab the bull by the horns and say , this is as much about us as fans as it is the manager and the players , Us city fans are never satisfided , winning or losing ... We never hardly sing unless we are winnin the fans are supposed to lift the players, not wait for the players to lift us ,and when we are losing its all negative and a volatile atmosphere and with evry1 threatening not to renew under Coleman that cost him the job because evry1 is too short sighted and with too high expectations , Sundays game against Watford , i take my hat off to them fans, even before the embarrassment of them thrashing us as soon as that whistle went for the start of the game they were throwing beach balls and all sorts in the air, they were having a blast , Where was our party , where was our celebrations ?? We got to get out of the graveyard state of mind , and get back the fighting , celebrating spirits i know city fans have ... After all we sing the words right , LETS ALL SING TOGETHER !! Well hope next season we do , lets hope next season despite the state of play we can be the 12th player on that team and sing loud and proud for the team we all love , not just when we are winning, ..ok ok rant over , P.U.S.B !!!

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
I agree on us lifting them. I was shouting like mad on Sunday and getting some right weird looks from people, who obviously thought I was mad as there was nothing really to shout about, but d'ya know what, I don't care. I used to because it made me feel uncomfortable but sod it, I'm paying my money to support them, and I'm not gonna sit there quietly like it's a funeral. They're my team, and I will forever be sky blue.

Who's gonna want to come here knowing that we sack a manager off after a year or two? I mean for crying out loud, we've had Labour in power for 13 years and look what they've done! {I don't wanna start anything political, just pointing it out! Nor am I comparing football to politics...I'm not that polictical :)}
I think maybe it was Coleman's time to go, the players, although according to the press still backed Coleman, they had no passion or spirit on the pitch, and that's what's needed. We need a manager who can drum up the spirits and who can get a performance out of the team. At the same time it's not entirely a manager's fault. Once those players are out there it's up to them to keep their spirits and performance, and if they can't do that then maybe they shouldn't be here...

skyblueprincess

I agree on us lifting them. I was shouting like mad on Sunday and getting some right weird looks from people, who obviously thought I was mad as there was nothing really to shout about, but d'ya know what, I don't care. I used to because it made me feel uncomfortable but sod it, I'm paying my money to support them, and I'm not gonna sit there quietly like it's a funeral. They're my team, and I will forever be sky blue.

Same here hun , i am always getting sideways looks from ppl around me , for me shouting my ass off, But thats why im there , that's why i pay my money, Regardless of the game , the score , I am there shouting like A LOON , So i say to all the ppl with the funny looks and the tuts , Up goes my middle finger .. lol

those players are out there it's up to them to keep their spirits and performance, and if they can't do that then maybe they shouldn't be here...

I agree here also , the manager role is to choose formations , change the play as and where needed , but unless you have a side with players that want to play , have the passion to play , what's the point !! I mean how many games have we been completely comfortable playing this season? I cant remember a game we were watching comfortable players , even when we were winning , we just then sit back and spend the rest of the game trying to keep the winning score , we should then be pushing harder , and harder for a better score, driving to push the away team, we lack that at city, We lack drive and passion, is a manager really going to change that ? is that not down to the men on the pitch ?

Last edited:

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
I completely agree! I mean when we're winning it's like "Well we're winning now, we can ease off a bit" and that drives me mad. I'm screaming for them to fight for the ball, not just stand back and let the other players run with it!

I know reports have said the players supported Coleman, but I do wonder if they really did, because he often had a habit of playing them out of position, which wouldn't have made them feel great...

Many a game did me and my dad say "We could hammer this team if we're on form" and never did we do it. In fact I'd love a few games where we're winning and playing that well that I don't have to shout quite as loud as normal because my throat would be very thankful!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Vikki you made me proud! Haha

We do need to sing more at 0-0 though when the team NEED to score instead of when we're 1-0 up when we've already scored... I was at Plymouth away when for 75 minutes only a small bunch of us were cheering the team on and then Eastwood scores and the WHOLE stand erupted with Super Freddy Eastwood... yes everyone cheer now we're 1 up, where was the support at 0-0??? We must be the most reactive supporters out there, quiet at 0-0, mental at 1-0 up and shouting and swearing at the team when go a goal down. Also one win and everyone is dreaming of the play-offs and 1 loss and everyone fears relegation and wants the manager out.

Fresh slate next season how about we start giving the lads some proper support when they need it most??

Play Up Sky Blues!!

Users who are viewing this thread