Cody Macdonald may return Saturday (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Wingy I think that's because we've played an orthodox 442, rather than the diamond, so sheffers and baker have been occupying the space Christie in particular used to attack.

dongonzalos

1. "His Pace" - you can't have seen him play. I've seen him in every game he's played - he's definitely not fast - more like slim fast. He looks over weight and in his own admission isn't sharp enough.

2. "will be the best natural finisher at the club" - based on what? I've seen him miss 2 absolute sitters.

We can't just keep accepting players who under perform and say things like "need time" or "needs more games" - if they don't feel sharp enough, fit enough, skilful enough, lucky enough - they need to work harder to get back in the squad or attract other clubs.

I find it crazy that the players are all facing pay cuts, which come with relegation and some will even be released and perhaps no other clubs prepared to take them on (the likes of David Bell) and yet there seems to be no fear to push from the players to force the the powers that be to extend training to Mondays and Sundays in a bid to avoid it.

Re: Cody - All if's, but's and maybe, still no fact!

Ha ha brilliant! you are right Mexico he has no Pace, glad ou think my posts are Bullsh1t, would be concerned if you agreed with me

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2606526/ShowPost.aspx

Have a quick gander at the norwich forum in which most of them make reference to one of his assets, yep pace

ajsccfc

It's still too early to write him off, but I don't share any assumption that he'll come good either - I've been waiting for Eastwood to come good since he signed.

I'd like to see him get a run of games in so we can actually see what Thorn's first-choice target can really do though.

wingy

Wingy I think that's because we've played an orthodox 442, rather than the diamond, so sheffers and baker have been occupying the space Christie in particular used to attack.
Not going to turn it into a slagging session ,as only the goallie ,nimely and deegan came out of the game with any credit,but the flanks were weak on saturday ,they're both capable of interchanging ,giving them more chance of comig inside and getting a shot off,on the whole just an awful mallaise about the squad on saturday.

Paxman II

Cody is a finisher and has some pace. sadly we have only seen him when building match fitness up so hardly a time to judge him on the occasions he has played so far. Match fitness which needs to be redefined as 'match ready' as a better term is very important. I assume he will make the bench this Saturday and have a run out at some point. Just hope it's not because we are in desperate need of a goal or two and we judge him based around a side chasing the game at that point?

He needs to be match ready and given his chance as by all accounts he is a pretty good finisher and will score goals. Just what we need!

ICHAN

Could the squad be being assembled for 1st division football?
Regarding contracts that were given to players who most do not know why they were given contracts and the signing of cody?
Conspiracy wingy, you know me and my conspiracy theories :thinking about:, but just a thought to throw out there.

wingy

Could the squad be being assembled for 1st division football?
Regarding contracts that were given to players who most do not know why they were given contracts and the signing of cody?
Conspiracy wingy, you know me and my conspiracy theories :thinking about:, but just a thought to throw out there.
While i doubt they would deliberately aim for div 3 ,the contracts offered were purely an asset value excercise,nothing to do with ability/ quality ,also massive turnoff prospect for prospective suitor,the story goes he's been told seven out in the summer if relegated.theres an old maxim in football ,that where you buy your players from is where you'll end up ,we have 4 or five that have played this level previously ,the rest from below or homegrown,says it all to me .so if/when we go down and lose £4+m. ,the fact they hav'nt taken a serious punt to prevent it suggests they are prepared to take it ,and if we go with a homegrown team next year ,don't be surprised if they take the same approach Re;Manager

Pigeon

I think it's about time we put Cody to good use, Platty has done well the last few weeks but deserves a break.

wingy

I agree think platt done way beyond expectation but it cuaght up with him on saturday ,trouble is ,we've just adapted tactics to take advantage of his physique ,and Cody is not yet fit enough to start ,tactics would have to change as there will be no height in attack,Back to the diamond anyone?

mexico88

Cody is a finisher and has some pace. sadly we have only seen him when building match fitness up so hardly a time to judge him on the occasions he has played so far. Match fitness which needs to be redefined as 'match ready' as a better term is very important. I assume he will make the bench this Saturday and have a run out at some point. Just hope it's not because we are in desperate need of a goal or two and we judge him based around a side chasing the game at that point?

He needs to be match ready and given his chance as by all accounts he is a pretty good finisher and will score goals. Just what we need!

Seeing as so many of you are stuck on the whole "Match Ready/Match fit" opinion. I thought I would point something out. Nimley came straight into the squad after a days training - hasn't been out of it since. Same with that Herman Guy (yes, I know he's injured, but he got picked twice over our other players and would still be a regular if not for only having 1 arm left). Both hadn't played games recently.

Thorn isn't picking these "need time" players for the starting 11 for a reason. As sh1t a manager as he is, if he feels that a tired Platt is more useful than Cody Mc Donkey, then for me that says it all.

Nick

Administrator
Seeing as so many of you are stuck on the whole "Match Ready/Match fit" opinion. I thought I would point something out. Nimley came straight into the squad after a days training - hasn't been out of it since. Same with that Herman Guy (yes, I know he's injured, but he got picked twice over our other players and would still be a regular if not for only having 1 arm left). Both hadn't played games recently.

Thorn isn't picking these "need time" players for the starting 11 for a reason. As sh1t a manager as he is, if he feels that a tired Platt is more useful than Cody Mc Donkey, then for me that says it all.

Was Nimely not playing at Boro?

mexico88

Picking a tired Platt over an injured McDonald - doesn't seem like too hard a decision does it?

We'll soon see when he announces the line up on Saturday now that Mc Donkey is back from injury. Wait... He's going to need 'time' before he's picked, right? ... and then 'games' before he gets 'sharp' and starts to score for us. 15 games to go... If he's on the bench on Sat - it's deemed he's fit enough to play - but not as fit as the starting 11 (How alarming is that - not being fit enough to play longer than 75 minutes like the rest of the team) Worrying times...

SkyBlue

Does no-one remember the 3-0 loss to Ipswich when he had two headers cleared of the line and looked our best player on the pitch?

Paxman II

Let me clarify. Match ready as opposed to match fit.

Physical fitness is only one part of being match fit. Now match fitness as often quoted is not solely based on the physical fitness of a player. It's definitely part of it. Energy levels etc. It involves muscle mass, weight ratio's, body fat,test on breathing,heart rate, sprinting, jumping, twisting, turning and the list goes on. All based to see how physically fit you are. If you like the same as a new player having to pass a medical....it would involve all these test.
Now as I say they should call it 'match ready. Becuase what managers and coaches truly mean is all the above and the additional ability of having played competitively either by reserve games (often games are arranged for players to get match fit) training games etc because of the need to be game ready level where your 'form' is sharpened or 'fine tuned' if you like. Rather like a snooker player who hones his skills in practice games before he plays a competitive match in order to get his cuing on key and a footballer needs to get his runs, kicks, passing and heading or short runs, and his thinking cap on by practice games. THIS is match ready. As coaches say 'match fit'. he's fit physically and ready but has had no 'game' practice so may be a little rusty to coin a phrase.
Asking Cody to come in and play at top form won't happen. Not saying he can't play and be a match winner but his performance overall and contribution to the team would be more limited and that is why he will most likely start on the bench.
Hes not 'match ready'.

Users who are viewing this thread