clive platt (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I have posted several times supporting Clive Platt as an assett to CCFC for his 100% commitment and overall ability at the level he plays at.

A perfect foil for any striking partner with his flicks, knock ons and hold up play plus occasional goals when needed.

He does not deserve the derisory comments of "donkey", "not good enough:, "get rid" etc - he could have shone in the 3rd Division because we have no one better and his physical presence would seriously undermine opposition defences at this new level.

Surely his critics appreciate that when he is on the pitch he does'n't "go missing" or drop his head like many uncriticised players we have had over recent years.

So goodbye Plattini you will be sorely missed both on and off the park and I expect Northampton gaining an assett and CCFC missing out yet again for not having the foresight to keep The Tree for another season.

PUSB

No-one will be doubting his commitment but a brutal, honest assessment is that he will not be sorely missed at all. In the last 5 years he has managed 32 goals in 200 games. A very poor return. A lot of his football has been at the lower levels and his best ever return was 27 in 102 for MK Dons. There is no evidence to suggest this would improve next season - in fact with age it is likely to worsen.

Without the concern that the owners will not replace no-one would even blink at the departure.

We did of course offer him one season (mistake in my view) and he accepted 2 years at Northampton. He was probably offered a lower wage than his prior contract by us and he should be as his effectiveness (such as it was) will be reduced by age.

SkyBlueJohnso

Without the concern that the owners will not replace no-one would even blink at the departure.

thats part of the point, with no other replacements we have to try and keep hold of what we got, Platt was certainly one of the better if not only striking options we had.

Grendel

thats part of the point, with no other replacements we have to try and keep hold of what we got, Platt was certainly one of the better if not only striking options we had.

And my point is no-one would be bothered if it wasn't the case. As an individual he was limited very limited and we would have had to give him 2 years to retain him - that would be ridiculous.

SkyBlueJohnso

And my point is no-one would be bothered if it wasn't the case. As an individual he was limited very limited and we would have had to give him 2 years to retain him - that would be ridiculous.

are you not contradicting yourself somewhat there then??? IF we had decent replacements then yes he would not really be missed, however FACT is there are no other options, nothing in the pipeline, and as he was one of our best options of course he will be missed for next season???

Sisu_Cockroaches

bottled it?

id say hes smart and taken a 2 year contract at age 34 with a manager who loves him.

Yes bottled it, what kind of professional footballer chooses to go down a division. Only people with no balls take the easy option. He didn't want to take a year contract and fight for promotion as he was part of the team that took us down.

You defending him is sickening

SkyBlueJohnso

Yes bottled it, what kind of professional footballer chooses to go down a division. Only people with no balls take the easy option. He didn't want to take a year contract and fight for promotion as he was part of the team that took us down.

put yourself in Clive Platts position - age 34, coming to the end of your career, take a 1 year deal at a higher level, more competitive, more risk of injury, less chance of being successful and scoring goals. OR take a 2 year deal in a lower league, probably on similar money, more chance to shine and be a success, and your career lasts another year longer

i think thats quite a wise decision, even though i agree somewhat cowardly.

Grendel

are you not contradicting yourself somewhat there then??? IF we had decent replacements then yes he would not really be missed, however FACT is there are no other options, nothing in the pipeline, and as he was one of our best options of course he will be missed for next season???

No because many people here are making very positive remarks about his abilities. This is only because of the situation that he is the only striker we have. He is not good at using his physique to great effect is to be honest a lousy finisher and can't play 2 games a week. If he is replaced at all even with a free transfer on similar wages no he will not be missed at all.

SkyBlueJohnso

If he is replaced at all even with a free transfer on similar wages no he will not be missed at all.

that is exactly the point - there is no signs at all that there will be any kind of replacement, therefore he will be missed.

i don't think anyone can say he was the most gifted of footballers, but effort wise you can't fault the guy, he always gave it 100% and was still one of the better players last season, particularly the last 6-8 games

Grendel

that is exactly the point - there is no signs at all that there will be any kind of replacement, therefore he will be missed.

Thorn says there will be.

Grendel

thorn said King had signed a contract as well as a lot of other things!!!!

I don't disagree but he says this year is different or he will not stay. On that basis you have to assume he will get a form of budget to work with.

ccfcway

put yourself in Clive Platts position - age 34, coming to the end of your career, take a 1 year deal at a higher level, more competitive, more risk of injury, less chance of being successful and scoring goals. OR take a 2 year deal in a lower league, probably on similar money, more chance to shine and be a success, and your career lasts another year longer

Sorry, but BOLLOCKS !!

similar money ?, Northampton will be paying him more than us ;)

skybluehugh

So were is the 3500 season ticket sales being spent cause it an't on the the team. This is just like close season last year loads out and none in. We will be struggling to put a team out for the 1st game of the season at this rate. See you all in D4 if were still in business

skybluehugh

I would if it meant having a job for a another 12 months but more importent he is going to a club he knows will still be in business at the start of next season

Sisu_Cockroaches

No i wont put my self in his position, he is paid £1000's a week i wont feel sorry for him. He doesn't want to play for my football club so he can f*ck off its a simple as that.

Why are you defending players who were shit and dont want to play for us. It really beggars belief.

Why dont you send him a good luck card or personally deliver him a nice toffee apple for his services.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I have posted several times supporting Clive Platt as an assett to CCFC for his 100% commitment and overall ability at the level he plays at.

A perfect foil for any striking partner with his flicks, knock ons and hold up play plus occasional goals when needed.

He does not deserve the derisory comments of "donkey", "not good enough:, "get rid" etc - he could have shone in the 3rd Division because we have no one better and his physical presence would seriously undermine opposition defences at this new level.

Surely his critics appreciate that when he is on the pitch he does'n't "go missing" or drop his head like many uncriticised players we have had over recent years.

So goodbye Plattini you will be sorely missed both on and off the park and I expect Northampton gaining an assett and CCFC missing out yet again for not having the foresight to keep The Tree for another season.

PUSB
Sorry but would have to disagree on he would have shone. Platt has played at league 1 and below for the majority of his career and has never shone for anyone.

We need a battering ram forward who will muscle defenders out of his way, attack the ball with aggression and swing a few elbows at the opposition defender. Platt would be bread and butter for most defences in league 1.

Also I wouldn't describe him as getting an occasion goal, maybe a very rare goal would be a better description of his goal scoring prowess.

I would be more worried by the fact we offered him a contract in the first place as it shown a complete lack of ambition, the fact he rejected it to join a league 2 just rubs salt in the wound and frankly is an embarrassment.

Users who are viewing this thread