clive platt (1 Viewer)

CCFC123

cant play two games in a week. thanks but no thanks.

cant afford a player playing every other game as we already have a useless ide tosser in bell trying that one one at the moment and we have another 3-4 years of that one so thanks but no more please.

Astute

Something is wrobg here. When a player leaves us he normally gets slagged off by most. We have just lost a striker that got 6 goals all season amd is suited to the Hoofball game when we pass the ball and he can only play 1 game a week and it is a disaster to some.....

CUS Wyken

Something is wrobg here. When a player leaves us he normally gets slagged off by most. We have just lost a striker that got 6 goals all season amd is suited to the Hoofball game when we pass the ball and he can only play 1 game a week and it is a disaster to some.....

I'll tell you why.

1) we have hardly any strikers as it is. Plus we're still under a transfer embargo.

2) like Cody McDonald, he has a decent record in the lower leagues and been around. We need experience!!!!

3) this league is very physical and our team is losing it's physical players. We get bullied too easy as it is.

4) he played the majority of games when our form picked up end of last season.

Look at the bigger picture astute.

Astute

I am looking at the bigger picture. 100 goals in 600 games mainly in lower leagues. He can't play every game anymore, so we would have been lucky to get 30 games out of him. That equals to 5 goals for the season with his average scoring rate. We will lose other players we will miss much more. Keeping a striker that scores you about 5 goals a season is not the way forward.

Cody and Sheffers as our main strikers next season for me. We know Cody can score at this level. Sheffers should get his fair share as well. It all depends on the embargo and who we get to bring in, not keeping an old striker that rarely strikes.

CUS Wyken

I am looking at the bigger picture. 100 goals in 600 games mainly in lower leagues. He can't play every game anymore, so we would have been lucky to get 30 games out of him. That equals to 5 goals for the season with his average scoring rate. We will lose other players we will miss much more. Keeping a striker that scores you about 5 goals a season is not the way forward.

Cody and Sheffers as our main strikers next season for me. We know Cody can score at this level. Sheffers should get his fair share as well. It all depends on the embargo and who we get to bring in, not keeping an old striker that rarely strikes.

So we have McSheffrey... remind me when was the last tiem he played up front?

Cody was injured for most of last season.

So here we have a player who's not played as a striker for years and another striker who is prone to injury.

Clive Platt might not have been everyone's cup of tea but he made his presence known and would have been a asset in league 1.

Considering he played most games 2nd half of the season, this is a loss. Wasn't like he was warming the bench all season.

If he's replaced with a like for like player then i'd understand but can you really see it?

CUS Wyken

Possibly. Will have to see what happens. Still way too early to say.

Of course its possible but its highly doubtful.

I could possible win the lottery. Anythink is possible. Do you hand on heart reckon we will though? Thats the difference.

ashbyjan

No great loss but goes with best wishes back to Uncle Aidy. Always gave 100% but was rarely a goal threat and its lack of goals that was ultimately our undoing. Good luck for the future Plattini

Brighton Sky Blue

People talk about Platt's physicality-countless times he simply looked too knackered to carry out the target man role asked of him. A weak player technically, he's only of any use to the team if he can use his height to bring others into play or provide a threat from set pieces-sadly he rarely delivered that last season as he looked a player who age had well and truly caught up with.

No great loss but goes with best wishes back to Uncle Aidy. Always gave 100% but was rarely a goal threat and its lack of goals that was ultimately our undoing. Good luck for the future Plattini

I disagree, he was one of the few left who has some physical presence needed for this league.

Lightweight wankers like Bell, McSheffrey and Baker will get bullied out of most games and be annonymous....as they have been for the last 4 years.....:thinking about:

SkyBlue_Bear83

I disagree, he was one of the few left who has some physical presence needed for this league.

Lightweight wankers like Bell, McSheffrey and Baker will get bullied out of most games and be annonymous....as they have been for the last 4 years.....:thinking about:
For a big man I have never felt Platt threw his weight around that much, he was tall but he never seemed to attack the ball with any aggression in the air or on the ground. He would just stand rooted to one spot and let the ball hit him.
We can easily replace him with minimal funds.

Sub

another player gone to a team that can afford to offer more in wages and a stable club for them to play at !! no replacements either how far CCFC have fallen and we are not at the bottom yet :(:(:(:(

Sky Blue Kid

For a big man I have never felt Platt threw his weight around that much, he was tall but he never seemed to attack the ball with any aggression in the air or on the ground. He would just stand rooted to one spot and let the ball hit him.

What minimal funds mate?:thinking about:

I see your point, CCFC....however, he gave us a different edge to our attacking play...and let's face it for all AT's 'I play good football' bullshit, his plan B was to hoof it up the field.....to Platt.

How many headers to you see the other forwards/attacking midfielders winning???

We'll be the smallest (and therefore the weakest) team in the league.

Marty

Platt gave us something different, but lets be honest he was poor, if we're to progress we need to replace triers with doers. Platt would be the first of a mass exodus if I was in charge

skyblueinBaku

Platt always gave 100%. He got kicked around but never gave up. D1 will see even more physical defending - who will we have up front who can take that? The spivs at Sisu won't replace him, so we'll have someone from the academy up front. Thanks, Joy.

ccfcway

Platt gave us something different, but lets be honest he was poor, if we're to progress we need to replace triers with doers. Platt would be the first of a mass exodus if I was in charge

well the exodus is happening !

Nonleagueherewecome

well the exodus is happening !

Exodus implies that we had a large squad in the first place, as opposed to a wafer thin one.

Good to see that between us we're getting at least one Python reference in per day: I was most disappointed that nobody got my Parrot Sketch post about us having "an ex-squad", though.

derbyskyblue

good riddance
Very unfair. Yes he wasn't the most gifted of players, but he never gave less than 100 per cent. I'll always have time for plattini. In a season where the team couldn't give a flying fook, he at least cared and tried his best. Good luck plattini at northampton. None of this seasons shite can be laid at your door.

Well I'm personally gutted at this news. I thought he'd be a very useful asset in the division we're about to play in and envisioned forming a good partnership up front with McDonald.

Leicester kept Steve Howard when they went down and wasn't he their star player down there? When the football is scrappy, which will be the case more so than ever now, a big man up front can be all the difference. I'd be interested to know how upset AT is about this.

WillieStanley

I'd never knock a player for lack of ability. Platt always gave 100%. Always communicated with the team and made sure there was plenty of talking on the pitch. When he wasn't playing, it was noticable. Its a shame we couldn't keep hold of him.

He's got a bright future ahead!

covcity4life

on one hand im gutted as he unsettles defences,gets the odd goal and holds ball up well,also he cares if we win or lose

but also i can understand that we didnt offer a 2 year contract to a 34 year old

so thats cody upfront...we really need 2 strikers signing soon!!

SkyBlueJohnso

i think platty would of done a great job for us in Lg1, 100%effort every game, may not be the most talented striker or finisher but at least you could see he gave it everything

good luck to him

Sisu_Cockroaches

Platt has bottled it to be honest, what self respecting professional chooses Northampton over Coventry.

More fool to them he is useless. Like the other guy said good riddance and will be quickly forgotten.

covcity4life

Platt has bottled it to be honest, what self respecting professional chooses Northampton over Coventry.

More fool to them he is useless. Like the other guy said good riddance and will be quickly forgotten.

bottled it?

id say hes smart and taken a 2 year contract at age 34 with a manager who loves him.

I have posted several times supporting Clive Platt as an assett to CCFC for his 100% commitment and overall ability at the level he plays at.

A perfect foil for any striking partner with his flicks, knock ons and hold up play plus occasional goals when needed.

He does not deserve the derisory comments of "donkey", "not good enough:, "get rid" etc - he could have shone in the 3rd Division because we have no one better and his physical presence would seriously undermine opposition defences at this new level.

Surely his critics appreciate that when he is on the pitch he does'n't "go missing" or drop his head like many uncriticised players we have had over recent years.

So goodbye Plattini you will be sorely missed both on and off the park and I expect Northampton gaining an assett and CCFC missing out yet again for not having the foresight to keep The Tree for another season.

PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread