Video CLASSIC GAME | Coventry City v Arsenal, 26th December 1999 (1 Viewer)

AlansEyes

Williams was terrible
Though their attack terrorised defences at the time yet we stopped Henry from scoring so maybe give him a little bit of credit
That's a fair point. Henry, Kanu, Overmars, Sukur were pretty handy. I think what did it for me was that every time he got the ball he just hoofed it, but then I suppose that was pretty typical for defenders right up until the last few years.

clint van damme

That's a fair point. Henry, Kanu, Overmars, Sukur were pretty handy. I think what did it for me was that every time he got the ball he just hoofed it, but then I suppose that was pretty typical for defenders right up until the last few years.

He wouldn't have fitted into our current back 3!!

AlansEyes

Agreed. His fall out with Strachan was definitely a factor in our relegation from the Prem.
Think he was too big a personality for Strachan, I think Strachan worked by intimidation with some players and that was ever going to work with Palmer. Shame as he had some good games for us. Having said that, watched a podcast with one of our old youth players a while back who said his first room mate at the Club was Palmer and on his first day several senior players had to carry him (CP) back to the team hotel as he'd had an absolute skin full.

AlansEyes

Just looked back at the results from that season, we had some poor runs of losing 3 or 4 in a row and some shocking results like losing 5-0 to West Ham. Finishing 14th with that side was pretty poor on reflection.

TTG

Hopefully we'll get there again in the next few years.... We could be the new Burnley.
Hopefully more of a Wolves/Sheffield United, would rather play football and be awake in the champ, than falling asleep watching us play Burnley football in the prem lol

wingy

Looking at the time the reports were filed.on the BBC website it looks like it was late afternoon/early evening KO .
Spurs appear to have been the midday match .

Brighton Sky Blue

Well it was typical for English ones not sure about the Italians

no_loyalty

Thierry Henry v Paul Williams.

Jeez.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when we signed Paul Williams from Derby I'm pretty sure we signed him as a defensive midfielder, did he ever play in midfield for us at the start, or did he go straight to centre half?

clint van damme

Correct me if I'm wrong but when we signed Paul Williams from Derby I'm pretty sure we signed him as a defensive midfielder, did he ever play in midfield for us at the start, or did he go straight to centre half?

I don't think he did.
Remember him playing really well against us at the baseball ground and scoring 1 if not 2 goals in midfield.

DannyThomas_1981

We had a piss poor defence, Hadji and Chippo went up the African Nations Cup and Keane got injured.

I hear that Fernando.

As you say the defence was not up to Premier elite standard and Strachan over 5 years did not fix that.

Limited players like Telfer should also have been replaced; now if only we'd had someone like Robins during that era and not Strachan...we'd have been going places. Robins is brilliant at evolving teams and improving in all positions (and doesn't play favourites regardless of form).

Strachan was all soundbite and no substance. I would also have serious questions over his coaching team as well - well below Premier League standard.

In short, total disgrace that Strachan got us relegated with all of the resources at his disposal.

SlowerThanPlatt

Had a look back and was surprised to see we never finished above 11th in the Premier League era

So we’ve always been towards the bottom of the league barring 2 or 3 recent years

olderskyblue

No it was later I’m sure, other games at 3pm then live on SKY after that I believe.

I can never go Boxing Day, big family do at my Sisters, but recall sneaking out every 10 minutes to check the score...

Brylowes

I can never go Boxing Day, big family do at my Sisters, but recall sneaking out every 10 minutes to check the score...
It Was a cracking game, sure we were on Sky again in the next game against Aston Villa 2 - 2
And another brilliant game :emoji_thinking: though I’m probably wrong cus my memory is shocking.

Legia Sky Blue

It Was a cracking game, sure we were on Sky again in the next game against Aston Villa 2 - 2
And another brilliant game :emoji_thinking: though I’m probably wrong cus my memory is shocking.

It was around the same time, not sure if it was the next game though. Your memory is shocking though as we beat Villa. That game was probably Keane and Roussel's best performance together.

AlansEyes

I think it was Chelsea not long after that was 2-2. Seem to remember us taking the lead twice but conceding straight from the kick off both times.

The coventrian

The villa game was a night game,possibly the sky monday night game. It was a pleasure walking into work the next morning and milking the win after all the goading off this arrogant sods.

AlansEyes

The villa game was a night game,possibly the sky monday night game. It was a pleasure walking into work the next morning and milking the win after all the goading off this arrogant sods.
That game and the Arsenal one really stick out from that season. Remember plenty of 'sacked in the morning's chants aimed at John Gregory. He wasnt. Think they actually went on a decent run afterwards.

The coventrian

Just found my season ticket. I think 99/00 was arguably the best season in recent(ish) years. Who'd of thought it was about to rapidly go downhill.

Attachments

• 20200420_185851.jpg
    20200420_185851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

The coventrian

That game and the Arsenal one really stick out from that season. Remember plenty of 'sacked in the morning's chants aimed at John Gregory. He wasnt. Think they actually went on a decent run afterwards.
He was a smug bastard wasnt he. I actually went to each game that season thinking we can get a result against anyone. Great days.

Users who are viewing this thread