Clarrie Bourton (1 Viewer)

Briles

So me and a mate were debating whether we think Kane will beat Alan Shearers Prem goal record.

I think he will, He thinks he wont.

But it got me thinking....

Clarrie Bourton scored 173 goals for Coventry in a 6 year spell. He is far and away our all time top scorer.

The way the game has changed means players tend to not hang around as long as they used to and this guy was averaging about 29 a season....

Do we think anyone will ever top that for us?

Our current club top scorer still at the club is Hiwula with about 15...

Winny the Bish

No chance. Once a player scores 20 goals in one season he's off to a bigger club. There's only 3 ways that record is broken:

1) Striker loves Coventry so much he decides he's staying for his entire career
2) We become billionaire-owned and so rich we never have to sell our best players again
3) We get liquidated and find a goalscorer who bangs them in as we get promoted from Midlands Premier to the Conference.

Magwitch

So me and a mate were debating whether we think Kane will beat Alan Shearers Prem goal record.

I think he will, He thinks he wont.

But it got me thinking....

Clarrie Bourton scored 173 goals for Coventry in a 6 year spell. He is far and away our all time top scorer.

The way the game has changed means players tend to not hang around as long as they used to and this guy was averaging about 29 a season....

Do we think anyone will ever top that for us?

Our current club top scorer still at the club is Hiwula with about 15...
Not on a regular basis although only 2 seasons ago Mark McNulty scored 28 and that was after a stuttering start. In the modern game goalscorers are like gold dust any striker getting 25 plus a two or three seasons in a row would be snapped up for a load of dosh.

shmmeee

No one will ever beat that. The game has changed too much.

I think post war is usually the bar, which would make it Ray Straw in the 50s with 87, the most “modern” are Dublin and McSheffrey with 72 each (all according to Wiki). I could see someone beating that only if we got to the Prem and even then anyone scoring 20 a season is likely to be sold pretty quickly.

SlowerThanPlatt

No one will ever beat that. The game has changed too much.

I think post war is usually the bar, which would make it Ray Straw in the 50s with 87, the most “modern” are Dublin and McSheffrey with 72 each (all according to Wiki). I could see someone beating that only if we got to the Prem and even then anyone scoring 20 a season is likely to be sold pretty quickly.

Coventry City - Record goal scorers

Briles

Not on a regular basis although only 2 seasons ago Mark McNulty scored 28 and that was after a stuttering start. In the modern game goalscorers are like gold dust any striker getting 25 plus a two or three seasons in a row would be snapped up for a load of dosh.

Just seen Mcnulty was 8 goals off our top 3, madness.

ajsccfc

I'm with you on Kane. With his goal rate so far I think it'll take injury or moving to a different league to stop him

Londonccfcfan

What period does that cover? Regis.... doesn't seem to have any players pre 90s on there.

Interesting:
Biamou well ahead of Hiwula in terms of mins per goal: End of debate really.

Biamou : 17 goals @ 220 mins per goal for cov……..69 games
Hiwula: 17 Goals @ 274 mins per goal for cov……….60 games

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

To say it will never be beaten is pretty difficult but i think it will take a huge change in our circumstances for anyone to get close to that sort of total. Are there any clubs outside the Premier League with a 'club legend' type forward who holds their scoring record at the moment?

Londonccfcfan

Billy sharp is closest I can think of whos come up from League 1 to Premiership at one club ,almost 100 Goals. But he wont get even close to that I wouldn't think.

SlowerThanPlatt

Interesting:
Biamou well ahead of Hiwula in terms of mins per goal: End of debate really.

Biamou : 17 goals @ 220 mins per goal for cov……..69 games
Hiwula: 17 Goals @ 274 mins per goal for cov……….60 games

Well the same site has Hiwula playing all but 5 games for Coventry on the wing - I’m not sure it’s exactly a ringing endorsement for a centre forward

SlowerThanPlatt

To say it will never be beaten is pretty difficult but i think it will take a huge change in our circumstances for anyone to get close to that sort of total. Are there any clubs outside the Premier League with a 'club legend' type forward who holds their scoring record at the moment?

Ian Henderson has to be very close

SlowerThanPlatt

The only way it looks vaguely possible in our current situation is to get a player back who’s already scored a decent amount over the age of 30 so if they do score a large amount clubs will be put off offering anything substantial similar to Henderson atm.

McNulty has 28 goals. If we got him back in 3 years time when he’s 30 he’d need 8 seasons of 20 goals

higgs

Didn't think Doyle scored much for us down tru the years shocked by that figure

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Reading his Wikiped
<snip>

<snip>.
Reading his Wikipedia page, before he joined Coventry, he once scored all four goals in a 4-1 away win for Blackburn against Manchester United at Old Trafford.
That's a great thing to have on your CV!
In his first season for CCFC, he scored 49 goals including seven hat-tricks.
That's what I call a goal-scorer.
Does anyone know if any of his goals were penalties?

hill83

That’s a depressing list to be honest. Moussa on it for example. Rated him. But on a top all time scorer list.

real football only of course not that black and white shit you oldies talk about

ccfcway

Some other strange stats on there. Michael mifsud has never commanded a transfer fee in his career

clarriebourton

Reading his Wikiped

Reading his Wikipedia page, before he joined Coventry, he once scored all four goals in a 4-1 away win for Blackburn against Manchester United at Old Trafford.
That's a great thing to have on your CV!
In his first season for CCFC, he scored 49 goals including seven hat-tricks.
That's what I call a goal-scorer.
Does anyone know if any of his goals were penalties?
Only three of his 173 goals for City were penalties.

itsabuzzard

That’s a depressing list to be honest. Moussa on it for example. Rated him. But on a top all time scorer list.

real football only of course not that black and white shit you oldies talk about
Behave yourself.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Some other strange stats on there. Michael mifsud has never commanded a transfer fee in his career

I think he was supposed to go Bristol City for about £2m once. Their manager was Gary Johnson at the time who ducked out of it last minute and Mifsud was never the same player again

Danceswithhorses

I think he was supposed to go Bristol City for about £2m once. Their manager was Gary Johnson at the time who ducked out of it last minute and Mifsud was never the same player again
Apparently Mifsud and his agent were messing Gary Johnson about, so he pulled the plug.
CCFC were furious with Mifsud

Users who are viewing this thread