Clarke - the reasons I returned to wolves (1 Viewer)

skyblueref

PUBLISHED

12:00 30th January 2014

Clarke's reasons for Wolves return

When I found out Wolves were interested I jumped at the opportunity to try and come back"
Leon Clarke

Leon Clarke is back on ‘home soil’ having returned to Wolves admitting he “jumped at the opportunity” of a second spell at Molineux.
The 28-year-old striker admits there were mixed feelings about leaving a Coventry side where he has enjoyed his football and been prolific in front of goal, but that the chance to return to Wolves was something he just couldn’t turn down.
“I’m really happy to be back at Wolves,” he said.
“I left when I was 21 and it feels really nice to be back.
“When I found out Wolves were interested I jumped at the opportunity to try and come back.
“Wolves are a massive club and I’d been here before for so long so it was always something that was going to appeal to me.
“The season has gone really well so far with 18 goals in all competitions.
“A lot of that is down to my team-mates at Coventry and strike partner Callum Wilson before he got injured.
“I have to thank my former team-mates for helping me find good form at Coventry.
“From the day I joined Coventry I thoroughly enjoyed it, I hit the ground running and managed to score a few goals.
“I know there are Coventry fans who are going to be disappointed and I would say that while I was keen to move to Wolves it was still a difficult decision to leave Coventry.
“It was a difficult situation for me there in the end but when the opportunity did come to move to Wolves it was something that was always going to interest me.
“There are a lot of things at Wolves that appealed to me.
“The stadium, the ambition of the club, where they are striving to be.
“To be able to be a part of that is really encouraging for anyone potentially joining the club.
“There is the chance to go for automatic promotion and that was another factor in my decision.”
“There it is”,” said Clarke as he walked up the corridor at the Compton training ground and saw his photograph among those of all the Academy graduates who have progressed to the Wolves first team.
Familiar surroundings then, and a few familiar faces as well, notably among the Wolves’ goalkeeping fraternity past and present.
“I still speak to Carl Ikeme a lot and we meet up outside football,” says Clarke.
“He was here having treatment when I came in for my medical and it was good to see him.
“We’ve always spoken a lot about football and how each of us have been getting on.
“Wayne was in the Academy when I was although I haven’t seen him for a while.
“I stayed in touch with Matt Murray as well and we went out for dinner a few weeks ago to catch up.
“My family and friends will be happy that I’m back as well and I’m really looking forward to the challenge.”
Clarke went straight into training today as Wolves prepare for Saturday’s home game with Bradford (3pm).

Read more at http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/nice-to-be-back-300114-1327322.aspx#gVcmtqV3et8XSXAS.99

Joelly

If i was playing fo someone... say rotherham... and Coventry wanted me... I dont think i could say no to the club i loved

saying that, i would have handled myself better, much better

RoboCCFC90

Good Luck Leon, I personally hope that a) City stuff you Wolves lot at Sixfields and b) Wolves don't get promoted.

ccfcway

the way he went about this move was 100% wrong.

I cant argue with this though...

Grendel

Except he doesn't mean a word of it.

mark82

We have a better stadium, we just don't use it. ;) :laugh:

japandy

I don't think people would be against him for leaving for his 'home' team it's just the pathetic childish way he went about it. This piece from the CET says it all ' His return has not been universally popular with the Molineux faithful who remember his ‘shhh’ goal celebration for Wolves when he had become a target of the boo boys in his first spell there. “At the time there was a lot of immaturity from me,” said Clarke. “But I’m a completely different person nine years later and more experienced. You learn from things like that, take them on board and try to be a better person. “You look at the way you go about things and try to do them differently and be professional. LLLLLLOOOOLLLLL

japandy

I don't think people would be against him for leaving for his 'home' team it's just the pathetic childish way he went about it. This piece from the CET says it all ' His return has not been universally popular with the Molineux faithful who remember his ‘shhh’ goal celebration for Wolves when he had become a target of the boo boys in his first spell there. “At the time there was a lot of immaturity from me,” said Clarke. “But I’m a completely different person nine years later and more experienced. You learn from things like that, take them on board and try to be a better person. “You look at the way you go about things and try to do them differently and be professional. LLLLLLOOOOLLLLL

woody11462

I agree, as true as it could be he is only saying what he can to paint himself in a better light. If he meant what he said about it bring a difficult decision, he wouldn't have been such a cock about it.

D

Deleted member 2477

The stadium and ambition. Is this another snipe at us but I can't argue with it.
Refusing to play for us though Leon was unprofessional and ungrateful and shows what a money grabbing, two faced jewdas you really are and I hope you break your legs the first game you play wanker

@richh87

I totally agree with him.

"The stadium" - Sixfields is a hole.

"The ambition"- SISU's ambition is to move to a 12k seater stadium outside Coventry.

"Where they're striving to be" - We'll be able to decide that based on what SISU spend on players in the next 24 hours. My guess is they are striving to be top ten in League 1 as long as it's cheap. Not good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Didn't Wolves come in for him after he put in a transfer request ?If they did he's lying on that one.
Let's face it he'll be somewhere else next season you can put money on it,and he'll be kissing the badge there as well !

AndreasB

Thought it was a decent, well mannered interview response actually that showed respect for Coventry City. Good luck Leon. Will will miss you and ignore the idiots on here that hope you "break your leg"

shmmeee

Leon and his agent spotted today:

giphy.gif

SkyBlue_Bear83

Thought it was a decent, well mannered interview response actually that showed respect for Coventry City. Good luck Leon. Will will miss you and ignore the idiots on here that hope you "break your leg"

Shame the interview is a load of bullshit that he is just spouting out.

pete212

Why are people critical of Leon Clarke's decision to go to Wolves?

Do you suppose he relished the prospect of turning up for 'home' games at an empty stadium for another season.

And don't be surprised when Moussa, Christie, Daniels etc come to make the same decision in future.
And Pressley for that matter.

Anybody coming in yet?

SISU must die.

shepardo01

"Clarke went straight into training".... Clearly "threw one in" for Tuesdays game then..... Cheers Leon... :-\

Hobo

Have you proof! Were you there when he said it? Do you know Leon Clarke personally?

As you would normally reply Grendel. However I suspect you are right. Sound more like trying to feather his new nest. I think he needs to get off to a good start, Wolves fans not the most tolerant.

Grendel

Have you proof! Were you there when he said it? Do you know Leon Clarke personally?

As you would normally reply Grendel. However I suspect you are right. Sound more like trying to feather his new nest. I think he needs to get off to a good start, Wolves fans not the most tolerant.

I would imagine his agent prepared his speech. Just shows contracts are worthless and always can be broken.

Hobo

I would imagine his agent prepared his speech. Just shows contracts are worthless and always can be broken.

Never would have guessed that having SISU running the club I support and the government shafting my pension.

tbh444

Think he (or his agent) just did what he had to to make sure the move went through. Hope he does well - but it's going to be a challenge being a smaller fish in a bigger pond

skybluericoh

It it wasn't for his goals this season we would be far worse off. Don't like what he has done but at the same time don't blame him.

Thanks for the goals, even the cash injection to a degree, would hate to have to loose a player that didn't want to go to keep the salaries being paid. But hope you are a complete flop from now on, probably come back and score a hat trick. But some great late goals giving us some excitement in these dark days.

quinn1971

Why are people critical of Leon Clarke's decision to go to Wolves?

Do you suppose he relished the prospect of turning up for 'home' games at an empty stadium for another season.

And don't be surprised when Moussa, Christie, Daniels etc come to make the same decision in future.
And Pressley for that matter.

Anybody coming in yet?

SISU must die.

Just the three so far

JWC

break your legs ?? That's not right :(

have a scrap metal truck overturn infront of him driving to work, resulting in a rusty spoon flying through his windscreen and skewering his eye out making him swerve into bp gas station blowing up his car and crushing his legs into his front end ... Leaving him grotesquely deformed and in absolute agony for the rest of his black country loving bitch of a loveless life , , you selfish, money grabbing lowlife c**t !

Is what i'm crossing my fingers for

wow

C

Clive Plattini

I never blame a player for leaving this basket case of a club. Most people on here would leave for a more secure, better paid job with better prospects. I only ask they have a bit of grace. Shame about Leon cos he's been great for us.

D

Deleted member 4439

Admit that this would have been a bit more salient several weeks ago but I found it interesting to see, from viewing the tunnel cam @ Preston, how Clarke had separated himself from the rest of the group (see 2.15, before warm-up, and 7.35, before match).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwjmYj3eYS8

Manchester_sky_blue

Why do footballers (and managers come to that) always feel the need to repeat themselves over and over again? Whenever a player talks to the press they always state the same thing at least 10 times....

It was a difficult decision to leave Coventry but I really wanted to go back to Wolves. That said it was very difficult to leave Coventry but on the other hand i really wanted to go back to Wolves. I fancied going back to Wolves but i was playing well at Coventry and it was really difficult to leave...........

Bell end.

Users who are viewing this thread