Match Thread Cheltenham Town (A) (3 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

With us we’ve only signed one first team player, but signed 3 or 4 for the under 23s, and we tend to do this most summers, we’ve just sent 5 players out on loan to the same club and a couple to other clubs, next summer they’ll probably be ready for a crack at championship football, as they turn 19/20/21 years of age, and we’ve got a couple of players that did the same last season, and will be given a go in the up coming season, so although we’ve only signed one first team player we’ll have a few new faces in the first team fold.
You best hope other clubs don’t catch onto this idea

Barnsley

You best hope other clubs don’t catch onto this idea

I hoping that the idea behind this is that it keeps the wage bill and transfer fees at a minimum, so we can start blowing all our transfer budget on one or two quality players, instead of having to build half a squad with it like in the past, but only time will tell, if it doesn’t work out we’re up shit creak.

Frostie

Just gets boring mate. We get it you won’t hear a bad word said.

My main concern is that if we’re going one up surely is Györkeres not Walker. We’d have been better off playing Nee or Bapaga up with Walker if we’re short of strikers. We haven’t gone four at the back because we’ve got no CBs so not sure it’s born out of necessity.

The first one I’m talking about more than one CB. We’re after two LWBs but seemingly think we only need one CB when we’re playing kids out of position and trialisys just to get a team out at the moment. We need two or even three CBs far more than a reserve LWB and another CM. We have three first team CBs, two have been ill all preseason and one is in his mid 30s. Even if you count Pask he’s just gone off with a seemingly serious injury.

One CB puts us back where we were last season but with an older McFadzean.

I'm not a huge fan of Walker as a lone man either but perhaps he wants to see Gyok & Waghorn together as a potential partnership? They've shown very promising signs so far.
Nee isn't even featuring for the U23s at the minute, I assume injury/illness/isolation. I'd much rather Bapaga play his natural position but could have been an option at a push I guess.

The CBs issue I kinda agree but who knows when Rose & Hyam are back they could hit the ground running. Replacing Østigård with similar quality but actually keeping Rose fit would make us stronger than last season no?
I do think we need to bring some more numbers in here though, for the U23s if nothing else.

slowpoke

Watching Waghorne yesterday he and his experience is going to be important for us his movement and awareness is really good and when we have O’Hare and Bright up and running together will be a real asset,

Frostie

Unclear whether a new CB is imminent. They might be but this 'long-term target' hasn't been identified specifically as a CB.

Weird thing with the forwards is he's chosen the one least suited to play the lone role to do so.

It's certainly worded to sound like it's a CB in the interview as he speaks about him in the same conversation as Hyam, Rose & Bushiri:

“For me there’s glaring areas we need to improve, and we will do.”

“If I have got Hyam and Rose available then the picture changes slightly,”

“There is one other one I want to bring in. Rocky has obviously come into the picture on trial and we are just looking at that."

“I will make a decision on that very soon but I am hoping to get my long-term target over the line in the next week to ten days."

Mucca Mad Boys

Is anyone up to standard in your opinion?

The problem with judging things on preseason, it’s not representative of a competitive match.

Let’s not forget that preseason reports were favourable to Kastaneer when he arrived. Bakayoko looked good preseason, yet didn’t even look like scoring in competitive matches last season.

Has Robins got it wrong in the past? Put some faith into his judgement and recruitment process. He has access to more data and reports than any armchair managers on this forum.

shmmeee

Is anyone up to standard in your opinion?

McFadz, Rose probably, Hyam possibly, Dabo, Dacosta, Hamer, Sheaf, Eccles, Kelly in some situations, O’Hare, Bright, Waghorn, Walker, Godden, Györkeres

You got any more shite to waffle?

shmmeee

I'm probably in the minority here, but I quite like Pask. He's still quite young as defenders go, an whilst he probably won't be first choice I think he's a decent and versatile backup.

I like Pask and I think he’s done well whenever he’s come in. But he also seems to blow hot and cold and like the rest of our back line has a mistake in him. His pace could be invaluable. But as you say he’s not exactly first choice material right now. As it stands that’s the CBs we had in L1 and last season. We desperately need more quality in defence.

blunted

I'm probably in the minority here, but I quite like Pask. He's still quite young as defenders go, an whilst he probably won't be first choice I think he's a decent and versatile backup.
Always thought Pask looks good when he comes on for last 20 mins. Not so great when he starts. Football is now a squad game and he is worth keeping for now. If he can up his game for 90 mins, he will be good for us, if not back to league 1.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Nice knee at the start 💪

giphy.gif

skyblue025

There are a hell of a lot free agents still availabe who are hoping to get the wages they were on previously. We all know most teams aren't going to be playing Championship players over 20k a week as they used too. In 2 weeks when the season starts those players are going too realise they need to lower their expectations which might give us more chances of signing a player or 2. Better to get the ones we need late August than a panic buy late July.

larry_david

So was out pissed up all weekend and only really now regaining any sense. Who was missing from covid, isolating?

Rose, hyam, Eccles, burroughs, few other youngsters?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

The Moore error isn't as horrendous as I feared when I read it on here. He could do better yes but the giveaway by Allen was far worse.
These things happen a lot in pre-season friendlies though, calamitous gifts are almost the norm. As long as it's ironed out ready for 2 weeks time!
Yeah I thought the same. Second time it has happened too. After the Sevilla game I was expecting a shitshow and none of them were particularly bad at all. Not to say that it was great goalkeeping etc but there's a stark difference between what I have read on here about his 'mistakes' and what I have seen on the highlights. He might not end up being good enough but feels like people are actively pushing that line before he's really had a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread