Championship thread 23/24 (11 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

Spent a while looking for my assessment (Aug 26, post #1057),
Surprised how well it's generally held up. Didn't foresee Rooney(!!) re Birmingham, when is Mogga back? Far off from Leeds though. I think a few weeks later I'd written Southampton off entirely but an unforeseen 20+ game unbeaten run proved me the fool. Still looking partial towards Hull favoring well. Was way off on Cardiff sadly. Sunderland below Coventry very probable by this point.

How's everyone else's early season assessments held up?
I had certainly never anticipated Ipswich to maintain so well.
Also, for anyone with time to kill, there's plenty of interesting reading in the first 10 or15 pages of this thread.
Haven't gone back to check, but the 2 I know I got badly wrong were Ipswich and Stoke.

Sky Blue Harry H

2 year contract rumoured - he'll only play about half a season if they're lucky
Re: Aaron Ramsey at Cardiff (not a bad shout!)
QPR v MBoro next game. Sheffield Wed already looking like they're going to struggle. Think Cardiff, Rotherham and QPR to fill 2 of the bottom 3 between them, with Sheff Wed as a definite.

Wrong about Cardiff too !

JohnWH

Re: Aaron Ramsey at Cardiff (not a bad shout!)

Wrong about Cardiff too !
Why did Cardiff have to do so decent, make me look like a fool rather than Nostradamus. Your early thoughts on QPR may still come to fruition, but it's so tight now at the bottom half 5, 6, 8 teams still at serious risk. Going to be an interesting last few games I imagine.

HadjiChippo

Be interesting to see data that shows whether Leicester are spending more time in the oppositions box with the ball, or whether there is just a biased towards Leicester. Because the gap between them and everyone else is unlikely as just a coincidence.
That table pretty closely follows the touches and penalty area possession table in terms of mostly the same teams from what I could find, but Leeds and Southampton both have more Pen box touches than Leicester (Southampton by quite a distance despite playing a game less). Bristol’s is skewed by the fact they’ve converted all 3 of their pens (a few teams have had more but missed some)

Even taken into account all penalties taken (Leicester figure above is skewed a little by the fact they have 100% conversion) they still have 5 more than the next team given with Leeds on 7.

Might be a case of Leicester players just being better at drawing fouls or conning refs and that wouldn’t surprise me watching them play this season. Also the standard of officiating can be really poor at times, especially getting the punished prem refs (Fadz pen against PNE) so might be a case of bottling it and just favouring the big side

Nearly 1 every 3 games or 12 pens in 37 games seems particularly high though unless it’s something you’re actively looking for/targeting, especially without VAR looking for every minor infraction to give a pen (VAR has led to about a 10% increase in PL pens given across season)

Just funny when you consider Enzo complains about shadowy figures trying to keep his team down.

Edit: just went back and watched them and they’ve had some dodgy ones this season that I don’t think anyone else gets at this level. Some are well worked and won by the likes of Mavididi and KDH by just being quicker and defenders struggling to keep up, or defences have been opened up. But some like a shocking one against Blackburn for “holding” and and out of the box one against Rotherham. Also think most teams dont get the one given against us either for the follow through.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see data that shows whether Leicester are spending more time in the oppositions box with the ball, or whether there is just a biased towards Leicester. Because the gap between them and everyone else is unlikely as just a coincidence.
Add to that to another three more blatant ones we should have had; then again in the Cup Final, KDH shouldn’t have been given one IMO mi ducks 🦆

Legia Sky Blue

Still not sure about the penalty given against Thomas. I feel like it wasn't a foul, but had to be given because KDH ran into his studs. Irrelevant anyway I guess.

Agree with this, particularly when considering Doku's 'tackle' against Liverpool last weekend where he similarly went in recklessly, but won the ball first. This time though it was subject to VAR review and not given. A definite lack of consistency!

no_loyalty

Our playoff rivals fixtures today.

Swansea v Cardiff
Stoke v Norwich
Middlesbrough v Blackburn
Plymouth v Preston
West Brom v Bristol City

covcity4life

Not the best results today but I'm gonna eliminate Cardiff now at least

Middlesbrough hanging on by a thread

Let's shake them off one week at a time I guess

Users who are viewing this thread