Championship - How do we stay up? (3 Viewers)

better days

Think we need to see a bit more of Giles before people get too carried away about him staying
He had a short cameo recently and Robins was complimentary afterwards but said he had to bring him on as McCallum was knackered
But he didn't bring him on at all yesterday
Be interesting to see what Robins says next time he's asked about Giles

Gazolba

First off, we need to keep hold of Robins.
That may not be an easy task.
On the playing side, I don't think we have a lot to fear.
We held our own against Birmingham and with some strengthening in a few positions we should be able to consolidate around the mid to lower table.

SlowerThanPlatt

First off, we need to keep hold of Robins.
That may not be an easy task.
On the playing side, I don't think we have a lot to fear.
We held our own against Birmingham and with some strengthening in a few positions we should be able to consolidate around the mid to lower table.

Oxford drew with Newcastle twice over 90 minutes. It is about maintaining that level and having the squad for 46 games which is the issue

cc84cov

I think we will sign Walsh I feel a striker will be needed also as well as a holding midfield I’m not sure Kelly will be upto it also 2 left backs will be needed.The football we play is effective & I feel Robins will be able to get us to hold our own,we could pick up a few of league 1’s gems from this season.

capel & collindridge

MalcSB said:
They spent a million on a striker.
Plus £1.25m in Thomas.
According to my Barnsley supporting daughter, both Conor Chaplin and Luke Thomas are seen as decent signings (especially Chaplin with 12 goals and 6 assists), but it took time for a completely new defence to bed in and they lost game after game before Christmas as a result. They should have held on to their central defenders Pinnock and Lindsay and goalkeeper Adam Davies. All went to other teams in the Championship for modest fees (less than they paid for their strikers) even though they had been crucial to Barnsley promotion. We shouldn't make the same mistake. Keep the core of a successful team.

The point is that if you have a solid defence, why completely dismantle that team of defenders who are used to playing together when you get promoted.

Mucca Mad Boys

According to my Barnsley supporting daughter, both Conor Chaplin and Luke Thomas are seen as decent signings (especially Chaplin with 12 goals and 6 assists), but it took time for a completely new defence to bed in and they lost game after game before Christmas as a result. They should have held on to their central defenders Pinnock and Lindsay and goalkeeper Adam Davies. All went to other teams in the Championship for modest fees (less than they paid for their strikers) even though they had been crucial to Barnsley promotion. We shouldn't make the same mistake. Keep the core of a successful team.

The point is that if you have a solid defence, why completely dismantle that team of defenders who are used to playing together when you get promoted.

Cant argue with that. The only defender in our back 3 I would perhaps have a doubt about making the step up is McFadz because he’s an ageing player and isn’t the quickest defender either. Despite this, having 3 central defenders does protect him as we have wingbacks and two defenders to cover him.

I doubt we’d see wholesale changes to the team, continuity has been main reason for Robins success in his second spell.

Irish Sky Blue

Cant argue with that. The only defender in our back 3 I would perhaps have a doubt about making the step up is McFadz because he’s an ageing player and isn’t the quickest defender either. Despite this, having 3 central defenders does protect him as we have wingbacks and two defenders to cover him.

I doubt we’d see wholesale changes to the team, continuity has been main reason for Robins success in his second spell.
I don’t entirely agree with the continuity bit as there has been a constant turnover of players. The play off final was less than two years ago yet only Hyam and Kelly from that team have been regulars this season. Going on his previous record I think that there would be quite a bit of coming and going of players in the summer. One of the good things about Robins is that he doesn’t appear to let sentiment cloud his judgements, he is quite ruthless.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t entirely agree with the continuity bit as there has been a constant turnover of players. The play off final was less than two years ago yet only Hyam and Kelly from that team have been regulars this season. Going on his previous record I think that there would be quite a bit of coming and going of players in the summer. One of the good things about Robins is that he doesn’t appear to let sentiment cloud his judgements, he is quite ruthless.

Continuity is more than just player turnover. It comes from the manager, picking consistent tactics and team selection.

You’ve got Jones, Biamou, Shipley, Westbrook, Hyam and Kelly who have all been with us since League 2. Which makes up nearly 1/3 of a match day 18.

Given our circumstances, it’s no surprise there’s been quite a bit of player turnover, you’ve had a relegation to League 2, promotion back to League 1, and preparations to mount a promotion to the Championship. Requires a lot of upheaval.

I agree with you on the ruthlessness of Robins, and it’s a good trait to have as a football manager.

Grendel

We had huge changes to the squad this season vs last and will do so again

if promoted I doubt there will be more than 5 or 6 players who will be competing for places in the championship

Gynnsthetonic

Not even thinking about next season as I'm enjoying this one so much. Hopefully be thinking about that in August when I'm in Crete with a frosted pint of Mythos in my hand!!!

Mucca Mad Boys

We had huge changes to the squad this season vs last and will do so again

if promoted I doubt there will be more than 5 or 6 players who will be competing for places in the championship

Which is pretty normal - my point about continuity was more to do with the management.

CCFC88

Robins will build from the back as he has done in the last 3 seasons. Rose and Hyam will improve and make the step up, I think McFadz would be the ideal "4th defender" and Id keep him for the bench. His age is an issue as well as the step up in quality, he survived in the Champ with Burton a few years back but there's not many 33 year old CB's holding their own in that league, and those that are have come down from a higher standard.

Dabo will also be fine and I can imagine Robins will be thinking about next season when looking at Giles currently.

Tap into the youth ranks of Chelsea and Wolves once again to add something extra going forward, they seem to trust us with their youngsters.

Winny the Bish

For attacking midfield: I'd be tempted to make a move for Scott Fraser from Burton. 24-year-old, out of contract in the summer, 9 goals and 14 assists before being benched in January. Also Sammie Szmodics could be worth a cheeky bid. Been quality for Posh on loan.

SkyBlueDom26

The most important thing is getting back to the Ricoh and getting them season ticket sales! Then we need Joy to actually have some common sense and realise the potential by putting her hand in her pocket! Will be a very interesting summer if we go up but the ricoh is vital

rob9872

Robins has proved he can look after loans properly and use them right and we play a nice style of football. Top teams will trust him and in the Championship we're higher up the pecking order for better loans. I expect we wont tweak much but will have some qualiry loan additions.

Some nice Championship experience would be a bonus but doesn't fit our model of recruitment and wouldnt be cheap in terms of salary.

skybluebeduff

The bigger question that seems to be hard to answer with evidence is where are we playing next season? Keep seeing people say we have a three 3 deal at St Trillions, but personally can't find it myself where the EFL would accept a groundshare if we're in the same league?

rob9872

The bigger question that seems to be hard to answer with evidence is where are we playing next season? Keep seeing people say we have a three 3 deal at St Trillions, but personally can't find it myself where the EFL would accept a groundshare if we're in the same league?
Don't think it's a 3 year deal, simply that the EFL said max 3 years, but we all know how they stick to their own rules.

Not sure the groundshare is an issue, less policing than say villa blues which are same city albeit different grounds, dont see it as an issue really.

Speedies_Chips

People mentioning Shipley in earlier posts. He is an average league one player (being generous). He doesn’t even start for us now we are getting to the nitty gritty. No way he would make an impact in the championship.

Users who are viewing this thread