Championship - How do we stay up? (1 Viewer)

GaryJones

It’s time to embrace and enjoy these very special moments and season as a whole, it’s a once in a lifetime experience.
Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves and just enjoy.
I agree - however next season we will be one promotion away from the Premier League!!!
Sorry I forgot myself there for a minute....yes one step at a time....but....

shmmeee

I’ll indulge, mostly coz I love squad building and not because I’m counting chickens (we are going up though)

GK: Marosi would be OK IMO, most importantly he fits in our system. Leave Wilson as backup as he’s not likely to get a game anyway.
CB: I have questions about whether all three can step up, and even if they do we have limited backup. Ideally I’d like to see a CB in, but only if there’s funds.
LWB: Mason doesn’t seem to be able to play this role at this level. Would need to replace unless there’s a kid coming through already, which I don’t think there is.
RWB: Dabo easily good enough. Pask OK backup. Nothing needed.
DM: Kelly would struggle I think. Maybe Eccles will break through, I’d still like to see 2 x DM signed unless he’s looking outstanding.
AM: Allen should step up, not sure about Shipley, Westbrooke, Jones and Jobello. Maybe half of them if that? Could do without in a pinch but I’d like to see at least one AM
ST: Godden might be good enough, Baka/Biamou won’t be.

So that’s bare minimum a LWB and 2 DMs, ideally also a CB, AM, ST.

Two or three loanees from the Prem and some smart recruitment and that’s doable. It’d be close whether we stay up but shouldn’t break the bank trying.

covcity4life

I’ll indulge, mostly coz I love squad building and not because I’m counting chickens (we are going up though)

GK: Marosi would be OK IMO, most importantly he fits in our system. Leave Wilson as backup as he’s not likely to get a game anyway.
CB: I have questions about whether all three can step up, and even if they do we have limited backup. Ideally I’d like to see a CB in, but only if there’s funds.
LWB: Mason doesn’t seem to be able to play this role at this level. Would need to replace unless there’s a kid coming through already, which I don’t think there is.
RWB: Dabo easily good enough. Pask OK backup. Nothing needed.
DM: Kelly would struggle I think. Maybe Eccles will break through, I’d still like to see 2 x DM signed unless he’s looking outstanding.
AM: Allen should step up, not sure about Shipley, Westbrooke, Jones and Jobello. Maybe half of them if that? Could do without in a pinch but I’d like to see at least one AM
ST: Godden might be good enough, Baka/Biamou won’t be.

So that’s bare minimum a LWB and 2 DMs, ideally also a CB, AM, ST.

Two or three loanees from the Prem and some smart recruitment and that’s doable. It’d be close whether we stay up but shouldn’t break the bank trying.

I think all 3 cbs will make jump up and marosi

Walsh and o hsre ifnwe can keep um

Think godden might not be championship quality

Would keep kelly in squad for sure but obv less starts

Dabo is fine. Need lwb

Allen step up too

So 1 cb for depth
2 lwb as mason prob not champipnship level
1 dm
2 am
2 strikers

For me

Mason sold
2 of baka biamou and godden shud go
Westbrooke prob too
Keep shipley as rotation option
Hiwulla gone
Kastaneer too
Jobello and jones kept as plan bs

Jcap

We have Pask, Drysdale and Williams at CB, plenty of depth I’d say. Pask is v highly rated by the management.

Grendel

I think if we could get a good fee we’d sell Dabo and possibly Godden as well as we’d need funds for attracting out of contract players on championship wages

covcity4life

We have Pask, Drysdale and Williams at CB, plenty of depth I’d say. Pask is v highly rated by the management.
Depends how highly rated they are

Was williams worth keeping for eventual lesgue 1 or chsmpionship also for e.g?

If so then great as 6 cbs is huge for squad and solves 1 problem off bat

AFCCOVENTRY

If we get promoted then Robins is going to have to be pretty ruthless and get rid of players who are great in L1 but not Champ quality.

We are looking at defenders, midfields and attackers who need to be at the next level to survive.

The wage jump is massive to the Champ from L1. There’s going to be a need to be back at the Ricoh for income and a cash injection from the owners if they are serious about surviving.

Otis

Most valuable asset has to be Giles hasn't it? Offer him a big fat contract and build the team around him.

Blind-Faith

Julian gray on the left
Carl baker on the right
Marlon king up top
Oh and bring back Westwood between the sticks and we got a chance ;)

Magwitch

Are we better or worse then than Stoke, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield or Hull, there’s a good chance we will be replacing atleast one of them ?

And what about Birmingham ?

Halftime Orange

We have to keep in mind that IF we get promoted there will probably be a lot of clubs circling around with pens and contracts in hand waiting to turn player's and agent's heads and I'm sure the powers that be will override any protests Robins has to keep them. The squad next year will look nothing like the squad we have this year.

AFCCOVENTRY

Our biggest assets now that we’ve sold Sam is Dabo and Rose. Get promoted and they will stay with us. If their agents want to move them then we will get x3 their transfer value as we will be a championship club.

Mucca Mad Boys

They also let the core of their solid defence leave (GK and captain Davies, CBs Lindsay and Pinnock) plus their top goalscorer Kieffer Moore), not to mention their manager Daniel Stendel who was very popular with their fans but who was "pushed out" in mysterious circumstances half way through their first season in the Championship. We need to learn from this. We don't want to start our first season in the Championship without Marosi, McFadzean and Hyam (or Rose), and without Godden and Mark Robins too. You need to keep the core of your promotion team together, using players like Kelly, Shipley, Pask and Westbrooke as squad members at first, rather than automatic starters. Build on your strengths. Don't try to create a totally new team.

Agreed with most of this.

To start, I’m grateful that we’ve got a young side who are improving. Hyam, Rose, Dabo are all going to get better. On the fringes, Shipley, Westbrook and maybe even Jones are in that bracket too. We probably should’ve taken a risk and held onto Sam McCallum - but that’s done now.

Where I may disagree with you is on Gooden, Kelly and McFadzean. On one hand, Kelly and McFadz’s leadership qualities is so important to us this season. Gooden’s experience as a striker is showing too. On the other hand, can these players step up to the Championship?

Ultimately, that’s down to Robins’ to answer if we were to get promoted. Perhaps it’s something we need to phase in as we did going into League 1 last season with Doyle.

Philosorapter

With the right tools I would expect Coventry staying up next season, if we do get promoted, to be easy then most would imagine.

From there it's about building on previous seasons until Coventry has a shot at getting into the Premiership.

You just repeat what's been going on in Division 1.

Last edited:

mrtrench

I suspect there would be a fair amount of post-season transfer activity if we were to go up.

The players who might be deliberately off-loaded, if we can, are: Mason; Hiwula; Max; Baka; Wakefield; Kasta and more controversially: Godden; Shipley; Westbrooke; Kelly; Jobello.

I think we might get Walsh but very much doubt we'd get O'Hare. Expect incoming: 1 CD; 2 Left Backs; 1 Right Back; 3 Midfielders; 2 No. 10; 2 Strikers. Some may be loans.

I expect more of the same for the inbound players - no big names and plenty we've never heard of.

ccfcway

If we get to championship, Next season at the mo

——————-Maorsi———————-
———-rose——-?????——hyam——
Dabo—————————————???
—————?????——-?????————-
—————?????——-?????————-
————————-????———————

plenty to do

Magwitch

I suspect there would be a fair amount of post-season transfer activity if we were to go up.

The players who might be deliberately off-loaded, if we can, are: Mason; Hiwula; Max; Baka; Wakefield; Kasta and more controversially: Godden; Shipley; Westbrooke; Kelly; Jobello.

I think we might get Walsh but very much doubt we'd get O'Hare. Expect incoming: 1 CD; 2 Left Backs; 1 Right Back; 3 Midfielders; 2 No. 10; 2 Strikers. Some may be loans.

I expect more of the same for the inbound players - no big names and plenty we've never heard of.
What is the situation with the contracts of O’Hare and Walsh ? I believe both are out of contact but their parent club have a years option what does that mean ? Can either just up sticks and move on whether it’s here or elsewhere or can their parent club hold on to them for another year. Be a real boost if we kept either.

CanadianCCFC

If we get to championship, Next season at the mo

——————-Maorsi———————-
———-rose——-?????——hyam——
Dabo—————————————???
—————?????——-?????————-
—————?????——-?????————-
————————-????———————

plenty to do
Allen?

Paxman II

........................Morosi...........
Dabo,......????.....Rose......Hyam......????
........Giles......Allen.......Walsh.......????
.......................Godden......(O'Hare?)

Paxman II

No we have a good coreal ready And we won't be able to buy much. Godden easily good enough, will flourish more in championship given a bit more space, his movement is excellent.
We will shrink the squad and replace with fewer but more quality to add to what we have. This core side is a good one.

ccfcway

No we have a good coreal ready And we won't be able to buy much. Godden easily good enough, will flourish more in championship given a bit more space, his movement is excellent.
We will shrink the squad and replace with fewer but more quality to add to what we have. This core side is a good one.

godden easily good enough ?.

shmmeee

What’s the best we could put out with no signings? I reckon something like:

Marosi
Dabo Rose Hyam Mason
Allen Kelly Shipley/Westbrooke
Jobello Godden Jones

Users who are viewing this thread